West City Fellowship is a 1-year old church plant meeting just outside of Washington, DC in South Arlington, VA. Please read this job description carefully and pray about whether you feel God calling you to partner with this work. Please do not apply unless
you are serious about considering this commitment for Jesus. Frankly, nobody would apply for this, unless God is calling him to it – but we are praying for that man.
As you reflect on whether this is the right place for you, here are some things to consider. This will start out as basically a non-paid position. We will be able to pay a little supplemental income, but it will not be sufficient to live on in this very
expensive area – so support will have to be raised, or supplemented by another job. Our church is about 50 people, if everyone showed up at once (attendance usually in high 30s or low 40s). The area of South Arlington where we minister is a difficult mission
field. Church growth comes extremely slow here. Typical outreach mechanisms do not seem to be effective here (though we do engage in outreach activities). There is a spiritual darkness and apathy in this place that can only be conquered by prayer, so prayer
is a key element to our ministry. We also know, however, that such places are where we best see God display His power.
This is also a very diverse area, with many different ethnicities, socioeconomic classes, levels of education, etc. And it’s a fabulous mission field because there are over 270,000 people within a 3-mile radius and the vast majority of them are unchurched.
We believe God is most glorified when the church reflects a diversity of people among whom the Gospel overcomes their differences. The team of people who are committed to this ministry are deeply devoted to one another and to the work of the Lord. The worship
pastor/leader would work closely with the Lead Pastor, so this could be a great opportunity for someone new to ministry to get some valuable ministry experience. Or, it could be a place for a veteran to find his first love again.
Our vision is to incorporate a wide variety of musical styles into our worship, including Urban Gospel, Contemporary Christian, classic hymns, etc. We want our musical worship time to be a time of crying out to God, proclaiming the Gospel with lyrical richness,
and asking the Holy Spirit to move powerfully among us.
There is no prior experience necessary as a worship leader or as a pastor. If you are the right man for this work, we will train you in those areas. Since this is currently a very part-time position, responsibilities would be limited to preparing
worship sets, scheduling musicians, leading rehearsals, and leading Sunday worship music.
Because of our commitment to ethnic diversity, persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply
Here are some qualities we believe this person should have:
- Committed to and submitted to Jesus Christ – desiring above all to bring glory to him
- Possesses a strong desire to see others come to Christ and grow as disciples
- A sense of God’s calling to full time ministry (*though this is not required*)
- Agrees with the West City Fellowship Detailed Statement of Faith, Vision, Values , and Culture (please see the “About” section of the West City Fellowship website – www.westcityfellowship.com)
- Able to sing, and proficient at piano or guitar
- Advanced musical knowledge (theory, etc.)
- Has a deep appreciation and exposure to a wide variety of musical styles and the creativity to synthesize them to create our own sound.
- Passionate – not afraid to be expressive
- A Team player – able to lead well and follow well. Can lead skilled musicians and develop those with very average abilities.
- Motivated and driven to give God his best effort
- A constant learner – open to new ideas
Thank you for your consideration. If you are interested in this position, please e-mail Pastor Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org