Director of Youth Ministries (grades 6-12)
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
HOURS: 40 Hours per week
BENEFITS: Health Insurance, Pension
General Purpose of Position:
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the DYM’s performance. The DYM will be responsible and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, informed by the United Methodist Guidelines for Youth Ministries, local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Weekly Staff Meetings, Church Council, and Youth Council.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels in the connectional system of the United Methodist Church and in all ministry areas of the local church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
-love youth where they are
-encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
-provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
-challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Support and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Be aware of resources for developing the youth ministry programming.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries, i.e. Scouts, etc.
- Supervises the Assistant Director of Youth
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers in partnership with the Associate Pastor of Discipleship.
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor(s) and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
- Work in partnership with the Associate Pastor of Outreach to effectively reach youth in the community and develop a strategic youth ministry outreach plan.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is minimum requirement.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated organizational ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must posses a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Must have demonstrated initiative, a willingness to work hard, and be energetic and outgoing
- Is creative and compassionate
Resumes along with salary requirements should be emailed directly to Rev. Dr. Tom Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 19, 2014.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
student ministry pastorHighlands Church
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- October 25
Student Ministries DirectorDayspring Church
- Auburn, Indiana
- October 25
Pastor of Worship and Student MinistriesBrenham Bible Church
- Brenham, Texas
- October 25
Youth PastorONEeighty Church
- Springville, Alabama
- October 25
Senior Pastor (767612)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA Southeast, Florida
- October 24