Mission: Bent Tree exists to be used by God as He transforms people into disciples of Jesus Christ, here and around the world.
Communications Director (Creative Media Team)
II. GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Creative Media Team is responsible for the development and execution of Bent Tree communication strategies and initiatives in order to help its ministries accomplish our mission–to be used by God as He transforms people into disciples of Jesus Christ here and around the world. This encompasses the internal and external communication practices of Bent Tree as well as the internal marketing of ministry events, initiatives, and opportunities to the body.
The Communications Director is ultimately responsible for the communications and marketing of Bent Tree and will collaborate with executive leadership, ministry department heads, contractors, and vendors to provide excellent services across all available and emerging platforms while ensuring that industry best practices are maintained.
III. CANDIDATE PROFILE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- People management experience with a proven track record of team building–developing, caring for, and leading teams toward a common goal while listening to, receiving, and implementing feedback of team members. We are looking for someone who brings the best out of people.
- Strategic leader who understands the long-term impact of current and new initiatives and decisions with a demonstrated ability to lead, clarify, and summarize discussions/meetings while identifying systems and resources to most effectively accomplish said initiatives.
- Ability to understand the balance between ministry needs and available marketing/communication channels when creating marketing/communication; Provide ministry leadership with excellent guidance concerning available communication options while level setting expectations through clear and direct communication with ministry.
- Foster open and collaborative communication lines between direct reports and between the Communications Department and Bent Tree’s ministries.
- Be able to motivate & create decisive movement while understanding deliverable timelines and available resources so realistic goals and deliverables are set. Strong process and people management skills are very important in this role.
- Open-handed leadership style; be able to identify management challenges and delegate responsibility with an appropriate balance between giving freedom and asserting directive leadership.
- Ability to focus on details and projects; able to recruit/assign resources to bring projects to completion within set timetable.
- This candidate must be a Bent Tree Family Member. If he/she is not currently a Bent Tree Family Member, the successful candidate will go through the Family Member process at Bent Tree as soon as possible.
- Pastoral heart with experience in shepherding and caring for people.
- Able to identify teachable moments through success and failures and lead out with a gracious spirit.
- Experience working at a large church (1,500+ in attendance) or similar organizational size is preferred.
- 5+ years corporate, church, or agency experience with internal and external communications planning and executing strategic communication initiatives.
- 3+ years leading a communications, public relations, advertising, or marketing team with a strong understanding of external communication best practices and standards.
- Experience developing and executing comprehensive communications strategies.
- Strong understanding of available and emergent communication channels including web, social media, print, media/PR, copy writing, graphic design, video and displays
- Strong awareness of current & emergent trends in design. (print, digital, and web)
- Experience working in a creative environment, agency or client-side, with experience pitching ideas in verbal, visual, and written form.
- Collaborative, diplomatic leader who works well with diverse team dynamics.
- Experience overseeing website development.
- Familiar with the mission, vision, and distinctives of Bent Tree.
- Experience working with multiple clients and/or ministries simultaneously.
- Comfortable and confident making difficult decisions while managing expectations.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Coachable and teachable with the ability to receive critical feedback and make adjustments accordingly.
IV. SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Oversee the creation and execution strategic communication plans for Bent Tree Ministries (Adult, Family, Missions, Worship/Arts etc) while providing a high-level outline of specific marketing initiatives throughout the year for each ministry.
- Implement best practices for external communication of Bent Tree’s mission, vision, and distinctives and for strategic initiatives as they are developed.
- Maintain Bent Tree branding and design standards and best practices to effectively execute communication and marketing initiatives of Bent Tree.
- Maintain organizational standards for design (print and digital), web, social media, and content creation (design and copy) while facilitating overall adherence to Bent Tree standards and vision.
- Forecast and manage the CMT budget based on the communication and marketing needs of the organization.
- Lead direct reports with regular team meetings and one-on-one meetings to maintain a high level of team morale and direction.
- Meet weekly with supervisor.
- Meet, as necessary, with leadership regarding special/large initiatives (2020 Vision, capital campaigns, etc)
- Network with peers in other churches to learn and to influence.
- Self-educate through publications, strategic relationships, and conferences on the emergent trends in communications and marketing.
V. SPIRITUAL GIFTS
- Service or Shepherding
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, or commensurate experience.
VI. ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS
Work with: Ministry Department Heads, Ministry Team Leads, Contractors and Vendors
Report and review by: Worship and Arts Pastor
Direct Reports: Lead Graphic Designer, Project Coordinators (2), and Online Content Manager
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Graphic Design and Marketing CoordinatorPreston Hollow Presbyterian Church
- Dallas, Texas
- December 1
Director of CommunicationsWalnut Street UMC
- Chillicothe, Ohio
- December 1
Graphic DesignerGrace Christian Center
- Killeen, Texas
- November 29
Executive Pastor Creative Arts and ConnectionsMedford First Church of the Nazarene
- Medford, Oregon
- November 29
Executive Pastor (767613)The Shepherd's Staff
- US Mid Atlantic, Virginia
- November 29