First UMC Shreveport is a vibrant downtown church with 1,100 in weekly attendance. Sunday morning currently reaches 75 youth/week and mentor groups reach 71 youth/week. The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for leading Youth Ministries’ staff
and volunteer teams to pursue the First UMC mission ‘to embrace and extend God’s grace while passionately growing servant leaders’ in the context of ministry to youth in our church and community. The goal is to draw youth to faith in Christ and help them
grow in knowledge and practice of their faith so they become Christian leaders. The Director will build and sustain an environment that attracts and disciples youth. Emphasis is placed on life-on-life discipleship, and developing and equipping teams of volunteers
to mentor and serve youth and their families for Biblical living at home and in the world.
Character and Competence:
- Deeply committed Christian resolved to live and model a godly lifestyle
- A passion to facilitate the spiritual growth of youth
- Flexible, dedicated, dependable, energetic and personally motivated
- Capable of effective, relevant communication with youth, families, volunteers and staff
- Solid Biblical knowledge consistent with United Methodist theology and practice
- Able to oversee, choose, prepare, and provide balanced age-appropriate materials
- Able to provide initial counseling with youth and their parents struggling with life issues. This includes understanding when the need exceeds their counseling capability and referring the family to qualified professionals.
- Skilled manager of other Youth Ministry staff members
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10 Years experience in Youth Ministry
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Expose youth to the joys of Christian life.
Inspire youth to embrace God’s grace and live by the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Disciple & Equip youth to become servant leaders at home and in the community.
- Engage youth at their schools and in the community. BE CREATIVE and work with the Spirit to reach youth for Christ.
- Provide powerful, compelling Sunday morning experiences for youth to grow deeper in God
- Our Sunday morning experience averages 75 youth/week. (196 are on the rolls)
- Equip, encourage, and lead mentors to disciple youth in small groups around town.
- Our 10 weekly small groups average 71 youth/week, reaching many non-FUMCS youth.
- Lead youth into a life of corporate worship, personal devotion and faith lived in community.
- Lead youth in regular local and global mission work.
- Build, encourage & equip a staff & volunteer team to effectively minister to youth.
- Coordinate with the Executive Team, Youth Ministry Team, and Youth Choir to provide strategic planning and visioning: setting goals & direction, evaluating ministries and creating new ones.
- Attend Staff meetings to integrate Youth Ministries into the whole of FUMC’s ministry.
Send your resume to Rev. Jonathan Beck at email@example.com or mail to First UMC Shreveport, PO Box 1567, Shreveport, LA 71165-1567