Senior Pastor Job Description
The Senior Pastor serves as the spiritual leader of the church and shall provide vision, leadership and strategic direction for all of the ministries and communities within the congregation including King’s Way Christian School.
Principal Accountabilities / Essential Functions
- Provide leadership, and spiritual direction for all worship services and related activities of Vancouver Church.
The Senior Pastor shall work with other staff pastors, administrative personnel and volunteer leaders to design and conduct worship services, educational programs and outreach activities that are relevant to the congregational communities being served.
The Senior Pastor is expected to be the Teaching Pastor during worship services and shall deliver the Word of God as presented in the New Testament and according to the interpretations of the North American Church of God in Anderson, Indiana in a way that
is engaging, challenging and edifying to the church. The Senior Pastor is also responsible for the cultivation and discipleship of staff and congregation members to create transformational growth and organizational synergy.
- Provide leadership, personal advice, spiritual direction and supervision for the Pastoral staff.
The Senior Pastor shall work in partnership with the Executive Pastor to provide supervision for Pastoral and non-pastoral staff and administration. Supervision shall include staff evaluation, coaching, mentoring, planning and performance evaluation
to assist staff in developing their personal gifts and talents to effectively meet the spiritual, educational, cultural and needs of the church.
- Provide leadership in developing the short term and long term vision for Vancouver Church and King’s Way Christian School in the greater Vancouver, Clark County community.
The Senior Pastor shall work with the Executive Pastor, Pastoral Staff, volunteer leaders, and the KWCS leadership to develop and implement a sustainable plan for the church and KWCS that maximizes the use of all available resources to accomplish the
mission of the church within Clark County. The Senior Pastor shall work with the Executive Pastor to develop an operating budget that supports the ministries of the church and KWCS in a manner that is consistent with the by-laws and sound fiscal policy and
fulfills the vision and mission of the church.
- Represent the Vancouver Church within the local community, the North American Church of God, in Anderson Indiana, the Church of God International and the Church at large.
The Senior Pastor shall serve as an ambassador of the Vancouver Church in dealings within the local community, and with the Church of God both domestically and internationally to share and promote the vision of the church and to fulfill the overall
mission of the church to convert the lost.
- Develop, implement and oversee a plan for congregational care that includes visitation, counseling, prayer, grief and addiction ministries.
The senior pastor shall provide leadership in the development and oversight of programs within the church to deliver care to congregational members that are in need. He shall work with pastoral staff to develop effective teams sufficient in numbers
and training to care for the various individual and family based needs of a growing congregation. Care ministries shall include but are not limited to visitation, counseling, prayer, grief and addiction.
Essential Functions RequirementsDemonstrated skills:
- Leadership, public speaking, managing, planning, mentoring, coaching, communicating on a personal level.
- Ability to: Communicate with imagination, passion and discernment to motivate and inspire people in worship, study, participation and discipleship. Lead and cast vision for a large, growing, evangelical community with a long term focus on education. Provide
managerial and supervisory leadership for staff and administration. Effectively manage personal time to maintain a strong balance between family, church and a personal walk with God. Must possess the ability to convey a sincere love and compassion for the
community of believers and must have a heart for the lost. The Senior Pastor must possess the ability to cultivate relationships with staff, leaders and congregational members.
- Advanced knowledge of: Scripture, including Old and New Testament, the holy ordinances, various methods of communication and learning, strategic planning and goal setting, vision casting, mentoring techniques, performance evaluation and motivation, church
administration and governance.
- Minimum of a baccalaureate degree in religion or Christian ministries or related field. Masters or doctoral degree preferred
- Experience: 10 years minimum as a full time pastor, serving in increasingly responsible pastoral positions.
- Professional Certification: Ordained and certified by the Church of God or willing to become ordained and certified within a reasonable period of time as determined by the board of trustees.
This position reports to: Board of Trustees
Positions which report to Senior Pastor
Position ? Incumbents
Executive Pastor 1
Pastoral Staff 6-12
Executive Assistant 1
Statement of Faith
We may use a variety of language and music styles to communicate God’s word for today’s culture, but our message is as old as the Bible itself.
We embrace historic Christian teaching, emphasizing:
- The triune and eternal nature of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
- The virgin birth and sinless life of Jesus Christ – the only begotten Son of God.
- Salvation by grace through faith in the atoning work of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.
- The work and importance of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer and the community of faith.
- The inspiration and authority of the Bible.
- The Kingdom of God, as established by the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ, exists today in the church.
- The imminent return of Jesus Christ.
Identification within Church of God, Anderson, IN
We identify with a Movement known as the Church of God, based in Anderson, Indiana. Our Movement believes that the church must emphasize unity as brothers and sisters in Christ. We also believe that we are called to live a life of holiness—daily asking the
Holy Spirit to make us more like Christ.