Eight years ago, The Gathering was founded with a vision of creating a compelling Christian community for new generations of people in St. Louis. We believe that "compelling" is the key word in our vision and strive to keep this at the heart of everything we do. As a part of the United Methodist Church, The Gathering is historically rooted while also practicing ministry in an innovative way that speaks to new generations. Since we opened our doors, we have experienced massive growth. We are a multi-site church with four unique campuses across the city and have plans to launch more in the future. The Gathering community welcomes people from all walks of life and meets people wherever they are in their faith. We are experiencing growth in all age groups, but we are currently seeking an experienced full-time Director to oversee our children's ministries and expand it even further.
Our Shared Vision, Mission and Practices
Vision (Why We Exist):
The Gathering exists to create Christian community that is compelling for new generations of people in St. Louis.
Mission (What We Do):
To invite new people to become deeply committed followers of Christ.
Shared Practices(How We Do It):
We deepen our faith by following Christ through five shared practices:
- Learning in CoreGroups
The Director of Children’s Ministry is responsible for creating a Christian community that is compelling for children, students and families in St. Louis. This full-time position oversees an innovative and excellent ministry for children and families with expectations of growth in numbers and depth. The Director of Children’s Ministry will effectively communicate our mission and vision in such a compelling way that it creates movement for an increasing number of children from being casual participants of church to becoming fully devoted followers of Christ and passionate about the mission of The Gathering. The ideal candidate is also passionate about the development, training and support of our adults who serve to teach and lead our children. This includes the recruitment and development of volunteers, as well as ministry to parents and families.
1. Develop a ministry that moves an increasing number of children (birth through 5th grade) from casual participation to becoming fully devoted followers of Christ and passionate about the mission of The Gathering. This includes working with adult leaders and families to:
- Develop our children and students in the five practices of worship, learning, prayer, service, and giving.
- Identify and articulate what we want our kids to be learning and experiencing at different stages in their development and share evidence that they are doing so. Develop a curriculum and format for a ministry that accomplishes these learning goals.
- Reach out to new children and families. Create an environment in the children’s ministry that is very welcoming and invitational to new families.
- Develop a Safe Sanctuaries policy and training program.
2. Equip families to be faith leaders at home
- Create a clear line of communication with parents and families.
- Develop new and compelling ways for families to get involved in the spiritual growth of their children
3. Identify, train, and equip adults to teach and/or serve in children’s ministry.
- Cast vision with adults that moves them from being occasional volunteers to committed and invested servants.
- Develop and continually train, encourage and support a team of teachers/servants.
- Develop a small leadership team of teachers and parents that are committed to strategic visioning and leadership for our family ministries.
- Lead monthly leadership meetings
4. Supervise McCausland Site Children’s Ministry staff, including Kids’ Ministry Coordinator and Early Childhood Specialists.
- Manage scheduling of staff and volunteers
- Continually develop, train, and mentor McCausland Site Children’s Ministry staff
5. Collaborate with all Gathering Family Ministry staff
- Provide guidance, expertise, and resources for new site launches
- Lead weekly department meeting with all Children’s Ministry staff
- Collaborate with Students’ Ministry and Discipleship staff to integrate Family Ministry in the overarching discipleship strategy that includes Kid’s Ministry, Students’ Ministry, College-Age ministry, and the adult discipleship process so that they are all aligned under a common mission and vision.
Hours and Expectations
- The Director of Children’s Ministry position is a full-time (40+ hours per week) exempt position, with presence required on weekends and some weeknight evenings. Presence is also required on Christmas Eve and Easter.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills to supervise, encourage and coach the Children’s Ministry team.
- Willingness to receive constructive feedback and constant cultivation of a teachable spirit.
- Flexibility and the ability to develop and change as our church grows.
- Familiarity with the Orange family ministry model is preferred
- Must be personally growing in a relationship with Christ and able to lead others in that journey.
- Authentic commitment to The Gathering’s vision, mission and practices. All Gathering staff are expected to be committed to our shared practices and to their growth in their personal discipleship.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children's PastorSouthhills Church
- Corona, California
- December 9
Director of Children's & Student MinistriesFour Mile Presbyterian Church
- Beaver, Pennsylvania
- December 9
Pastor to Students and their FamiliesFirst Baptist Church
- Boerne, Texas
- December 8
Campus Student Ministry AssociateWestwood Community Church
- Minnetonka, Minnesota
- December 8
Elementary DirectorWestwood Community Church
- Excelsior, Minnesota
- December 8
The Gathering United Methodist Church is a growing, multi-site church that exists to create a Christian community that is compelling for new generations in St. Louis. In 2006, group of mission-minded people, including Rev. Matt Miofsky, began to have conversations about how a new church might transform the City of St. Louis. Together, they worked to bring this vision to life, and invite new generations of people together to become deeply committed followers of Christ. The Gathering community shares five practices: worship, learning in s More...