GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Worship Director is responsible for planning and coordinating the worship services with direction from the senior pastor, collaborating with the other staff and ministry team members. The Director will have a passion for worshipping God through his/her
love for Jesus Christ thru the Holy Spirit. Recognizing that worship plays a vital role in the spiritual life of the church, the Worship Director will design God inspired worship through individual, congregational, choral, ensemble music, prayer and liturgy.
The worship director will be the “producer” of each worship service and special programs. Although the senior pastor is the “director” in terms of setting the theme and overall direction, the worship director will oversee and coordinate all the details that
a service encompasses.
REQUIRED TASKS AND DUTIES
With a goal of strengthening current Wesley UMC members’ values of and regular participation in corporate worship, the Director of Worship will:
- Plan all worship services; those offered weekly and those for special occasion based on themes/scripture texts determined by the senior pastor. These worship plans will be biblically based and support the theme through music, liturgy, media, and other worship
- Provide worship leadership for any style of worship offered. Recruit, coach and equip others to serve as worship leaders and volunteers.
- Revitalize worship experiences with help of Assistant Director of Worship.
- Create worship plans and scripts for worship experiences which include introduction and development of themes, smooth verbal and musical transitions, as well as times of prayer and quiet reflection.
- Recruit and train teams of people to participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of worship experiences.
- Convey to leaders, staff and volunteers, the goal of excellence desired in all elements of worship.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of video presentations for all worship services.
- Offer worship consultation to other UMC congregations in an effort of supporting the church at large. Be involved in community outreaches including opportunities for the worship teams to take part in various community events.
- Provide worship and music planning leadership as needed for other worship events (e.g., weddings, funerals, special musical events, congregational events)
- Oversee the operation, maintenance and replacement/renovation of all instruments and multimedia equipment.
- Attend staff meetings and other planning sessions. Work with the Senior Pastor, other staff and leaders in long-range planning, facilitating congregational goals, and implementing vision through worship.
- Develop the worship and music budget.
- Maintain and enhance worship ministry skills by observation, personal critique and attending workshops/seminars.
- Use practices that are consistent with respect for the creative process and its protection through copyright laws.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Senior Pastor.
ALL STAFF REQUIREMENTS
- Document for Senior Pastor and SPRC yearly goals and objectives for personal performance.
- Work for continuous improvement in areas of responsibility.
- Evaluate your performance annually, using documented goals and objectives.
- Supervise, plan and oversee publication of all events at least three weeks in advance.
- Help to support other ministries within the church.
- A call to be in ministry.
- A Bachelor Degree is preferred. Equivalent experience will be considered.
- 3 plus years of experience in leading, growing, and shepherding the worship team and congregation through Christ-centered traditional, contemporary and blended worship.
1. Personal love for Jesus, contagious, enthusiastic faith, Spirit-filled and demonstrates Christian values in work and working with others.
2. Experience and passion in creatively planning, writing and leading all styles of worship; ability to lead a worship planning team in selecting music, video, and other arts that support the scriptural theme.
3. Knowledge of instruments used in worship and their capabilities.
4. Administrative skills and professionalism.
5. Extensive knowledge of Worship Planning Center, Praise Charts and Pro Presenter. Knowledge of Media Shout, Sibelius, Pro Tools, Ableton, Elation Pro Lighting Software, and the ability to use presentation software on Mac & PC platforms.
6. Good understanding of sound systems, audio technology, digital mixing consoles, wireless microphones, stage presence and radio frequency coordination.
7. People skills; ability to supervise and encourage people of all ages, including youth and young adults; ability to create a worship “team” environment within all music groups; ability to obtain and use feedback from the congregation
8. Ability to deal with conflict, disagreement and egos in a healthy, patient way; not easily irritated, yet fully able to take a stand and speak the truth in love
9. Ability to work as a member of the professional team in a multi- staff environment
The Director of Worship, along with other staff and volunteers will manage all aspects of the Worship Ministry at Wesley including but not limited to the following components of worship:
- All Music Staff
- Sanctuary Choir (8:00am Service)
- Praise Band (9:00am Service)
- Chancel Choir (10:30am Service)
- Altar and Prayer Station Set-up Team for Contemporary Service
- Children’s Choir(s)
- Hand Bell Choir(s)
- Day School Music
- Youth Music
- Communion Servers
- Audio/visual team
- Visual Arts (includes banners, Altar design and other visuals)