EMMANUEL FELLOWSHIP INVENTORY OF SENIOR PASTOR JOB DUTIES
The following inventory of job responsibilities and duties for the Senior Pastor of Emmanuel Fellowship is not exhaustive and is intended to describe the general nature and expectations of this position. A specific job description will be formulated for the senior pastor taking into account the gifts, skills, education, background, anointing, ministerial experience and expertise in a manner both measureable and manageable at the time a working agreement is determined.
The Senior Pastor is expected to possess certain identifiable gifts and abilities. While the specific tasks and responsibilities of the position are listed on the following pages, the Senior Pastor will be a collaborative, servant leader, as he leads the congregation in its spiritual journey. He will accept and subscribe to the By-Laws of Emmanuel Fellowship. The Senior Pastor is held accountable to the congregation by the Board of Elders for fulfilling his call as pastor of Emmanuel Fellowship, and for carrying out his ministry job description. The Board of Elders will conduct an annual evaluation of the Senior Pastor to assist with the development and successful execution of his position. The Senior Pastor is responsible for direct supervision of the church staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- The Senior Pastor will be a man called of God and set apart to the gospel ministry, evangelical in theology, and committed to living and serving in a manner consistent with the standards set forth in Scripture for such a leader. The Senior Pastor must be a man who exemplifies a godly character; is humble and compassionate in recognizing and meeting the needs of others; and demonstrates a high level of competence.
- The Senior Pastor will be called by the Holy Spirit and confirmed by a body of believers through ordination (Acts 20:28):
× Holy Spirit ordained overseer and shepherd of the church.
- The Senior Pastor will equip, educate, and edify the church as mandated in Ephesians 4:11-13:
× Equips the saints for the work of service and builds up the body toward unity, faith, knowledge, and maturity in Christ.
- The Senior Pastor will conform himself to the ministry expectations set forth in 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13:
× Diligently labors as an overseer and instructor in the faith.
- The Senior Pastor will lead and serve in accord with the expectations set forth in 1 Peter 5:1-3:
× Shepherds the flock exercising voluntary oversight according to God’s will and not for sordid gain; is hospitable and loves what is good; is sensible, devout, and self-controlled; holds fast the Word of God; and is able to exhort in sound doctrine and refute those who contradict.
- The Senior Pastor will exercise biblical authority to build up and not to tear down (2 Corinthians 10:8 and 13:10) and will carry out a Christian witness as set forth in Hebrews 13:17 and as directed in 1 Timothy 4:11-16 and 2 Timothy 4:1-5:
× Builds up the body of Christ; joyfully leads; is a godly example in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity; is devoted to the public reading of the scripture in order to exhort and teach; exercises spiritual gifts and grows in them; carefully scrutinizes his own heart and his teaching of Biblical doctrine; is prepared in season and out of season; corrects, rebukes and encourages—with great patience and careful instruction.
- The Senior Pastor will be qualified to minister in the church as required in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9:
× Is above reproach, the husband of one wife, is temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, and able to teach; is not addicted to alcohol; is not quarrelsome; is gentle, peaceable, and free from the love of money; manages his own household well and keeps his children under control with dignity; is not a new convert; maintains a good reputation.
- The Senior Pastor is responsible to the church to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, to teach the biblical revelation, to engage in pastoral care ministries, and to provide oversight of all areas of church life and the ministerial staff.
- The Senior Pastor will be called to lead the church to understand, embrace, and accomplish its mission to make disciples both locally and globally through nurturing followers of Christ into ministry.
- The responsibilities of the Senior Pastor may be outlined in terms of his primary biblical roles as follows:
- Elder/Overseer: the principal leader and vision caster of the church (cf. Acts 20:28; Philippians 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Shepherd: models the heart of the Chief Shepherd and ensures that the church is well led, cared for, and protected (cf. Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Pastor/Teacher: the principal communicator of God’s Word in public worship and ensures that the Body is growing to maturity in Christ (cf. Acts 6:4; Ephesians 4:11; 1 Timothy 4:11-16; 2 Timothy 4:1-4; Titus 1:9).
- Discipler: partners with other leaders to empower, nurture, and equip maturing members for significant service and ministry by assisting them in discovering, developing, and deploying their spiritual gifts (cf. Ephesians 4:12; 2 Timothy 2:2, 1 Peter 4:10).
- The Senior Pastor will participate in the planning and execution (when appropriate) of worship services and events, and equip staff and lay leaders to successfully coordinate those services and events. The Senior Pastor will be sensitive to the work and moving of the Holy Spirit during church services and other activities, facilitating a change in agenda as the Holy Spirit leads.
- The Senior Pastor will oversee and lead outreach and pastoral care efforts, including biblical counseling, visitations, performing weddings and conducting funeral services.
- The Senior Pastor will oversee staff development and ensure that staff has the resources necessary to fulfill their duties and responsibilities. This also includes overseeing, with Board of Elders’ approval, the process of developing job descriptions and compensation packages, the administering of annual evaluations, and the interviewing, hiring, and terminating of all staff.
- The Senior Pastor serves as the primary leader of Emmanuel Fellowship and together with the Board of Elders and ministerial staff is responsible for the spiritual growth and wholeness of the fellowship. The Senior Pastor will work with the ministerial staff to set forth both vision and direction for Emmanuel Fellowship. The Senior Pastor will work with the Board of Elders and ministerial staff to ensure our relevance to the community, the accomplishment of our mission and vision, and accountability to our diverse membership.
- The Senior Pastor will possess strong interpersonal and written communication skills. He will also be an effective problem solver and decision maker, consistently exhibiting sound judgment.
- The Senior Pastor understands and agrees to support the By-Laws of Emmanuel Fellowship, including but not limited to the section of Church Government and the role of the Emmanuel Fellowship’s Board of Elders.
- The Senior Pastor pursues the wisdom, insight, understanding, knowledge, and discernment of the Lord, as described in Proverbs 1:1-6 and Proverbs 2:1-5.
- The Senior Pastor seeks the Lord for the understanding of Biblical prophecy and how it may apply to current world events.
- The Senior Pastor is a true shepherd of the flock, guarding it against false teachings and doctrines, and responsibly preparing it for the return of the Lord.
- The Senior Pastor maintains a balanced lifestyle that honors God, family, friendships, and others so that they complement each other rather than compete. His marriage and family relationships glorify God by modeling the way God relates to his people. The Senior Pastor is committed to loving his wife as Christ loved the church and to his God-given responsibility to provide for, protect, and lead his family.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Education: Ordained as a minister of the Gospel. A seminary degree is preferred (M.Div.).
Experience and Expertise:
- Prefer a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Senior Pastor (with multiple staff) of a church with 200 + attendance.
- Knows his spiritual gifts and effectively focuses his ministry in those areas.
- Maintains disciplined life of regular fellowship with God in worship, Bible study and prayer.
- Recognizes and submits to the voice and leading of the Holy Spirit.
- Exemplifies the spiritual qualifications of an Elder.
- Provides Biblical counsel with discretion and confidentiality.
- Is consistent, courageous, and fruitful in sharing the Gospel.
- Facilitates structured and intentional outreach to the community.
- Has a heart for the next generation.
- Is a Christ-like disciple and is focused on making disciples for Christ.
- Demonstrates a high level of effectiveness in Biblical preaching and teaching.
- Has a passion for equipping the saints for personal ministry and evangelism as evidenced by the fruit of lasting ministries.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Senior Pastor (767612)The Shepherd's Staff
- USA Southeast, Florida
- October 24
PastorOpen Door Ministries
- Long Beach, California
- October 17
King's Harbor Church - Lead PastorVanderbloemen Search Group
- Torrance, California
- October 14
Campus PastorCrossroads Community Church
- Freeport, Illinois
- October 13
Senior PastorCentral Baptist Church Deer Park, TX
- Deer Park, Texas
- October 13
Emmanuel Fellowship Church
EMMANUEL FELLOWSHIP INVENTORY OF SENIOR PASTOR JOB DUTIES DISCLAIMER The following inventory of job responsibilities and duties for the Senior Pastor of Emmanuel Fellowship is not exhaustive and is intended to describe the general nature and expectations of this position. A specific job description will be formulated for the senior pastor taking into account the gifts, skills, education, background, anointing, ministerial experience and expertise in a manner both measureable and manageable at the time a working agreement is More...