The position is a part-time, 20 Hours per Week Director of Youth Ministries that works closely with clergy, staff and lay leadership in the development and implementation of comprehensive youth ministries aligned with the mission “to nurture
spiritual growth and radiate God’s love for all people, as disciples of Jesus Christ” and vision of Edmonds United Methodist Church.
Role and Responsibilities
- Guide and support youth in their spiritual formation and as they define their relationship with God, church, community and the world.
- Foster and mentor the development of leadership skills in our youth.
- Provide a means to invite, welcome and encourage higher levels of participation by all youth.
- Promote positive and constructive relationships between Jr. and Sr. High Youth.
- Recruit, coordinate and foster relationships with lay volunteers.
- Develop and lead Youth Council.
- Implement and oversee Youth Ministries, which includes many avenues for Christian education, exploration of Christian values and spiritual/faith formation, music and fun/fellowship activities at the church and in the community.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of Confirmation.
- Create small group Bible studies and/or disciple groups.
- Collaborate with other staff/volunteers to help with the transition from Children’s to Youth to Young Adult Ministries
- Promote and encourage youth engagement in other ministries of the church including the ministries of: children, family, young adult, music and worship
- Encourage and plan youth involvement in mission, service and outreach programs.
- Facilitate youth involvement in District and Conference activities
- Recruit, coordinate and foster positive and constructive relationships with lay volunteers
- Organize, plan and communicate with parents, youth, volunteers and church administration regarding upcoming youth events
- Represent the interests of the Youth Ministries through attendance at meetings as agreed upon by the Director of Family Ministries
Qualities Sought in a Qualified Candidate
- A spiritually mature Christian with a strong sense of calling to youth ministry
- A passion for working with families and youth
- A shared desire to fulfill the vision of Edmonds United Methodist Church
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of youth culture and youth ministry
- Open minded
- Proven ability to leverage and mobilize volunteers and build community
- Proven planning and organization skills
- Strong administrator
- Proven & effective delegator
- Able to empower others
- Able to appropriately utilize & leverage technology and social media to connect with both youth and adults, anticipating different levels of understanding
- Flexible and adaptable
- High energy
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Familiar with or willingness to become familiar with & support the United Methodist Church tradition and theology
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience in youth ministry
- Four or more years of experience in youth ministry