Executive Pastor (Executive Director)
“Reaching the World for Jesus, One Life at a Time.”
Summit’s mission is “Reaching the world for Jesus, one life at a time.” We are a young, growing church that is passionate about reaching the community beyond our walls. God has blessed us with some great momentum, and we want to make the most of the opportunities He is giving our church. Summit now worships 600 on Sunday morning in a high school venue and continues to grow an average of 20% per year. We have built a leadership culture that anticipates growth barriers and figures out creative ways to keep making a kingdom impact.
God has blessed our church with a healthy culture that drives us to reach people for Jesus. The time is ripe for us to take some significant new steps in faith to expand our ministry reach, which requires changes in our leadership & ministry structure. We are working intently to maximize ministry in our high school venue and reach 1000 in worship in the next two years. God willing, that means we must plan now to expand ministry beyond our current location. As we work on facility expansion opportunities, we also realize that our ministry leadership team needs to grow and evolve at the same time. In addition to facility expansion, due to our high value on being a community church, we are also considering a move to multisite ministry, to build a strong local presence across the region. That move will raise the complexity of what we do on many levels.
We know that growing churches “choose to live in the future now.” That is why we believe now is the time to bring on board our first Executive Pastor or Director. We are looking for a ministry leader who will play a key role to turn vision into action, anticipate opportunities, overcome obstacles and maximize ministry. This will be an exciting role for the right leader to impact many lives for Christ and take Summit’s ministry to a whole new level.
Wholeheartedly committed to a community church model, Summit is known as a place where anyone is welcome to connect with Jesus and take next steps in his or her faith journey. Our prayer is to reach as many as possible for Christ. God has blessed us with a great mix of new believers and people from different church backgrounds. Summit is affiliated with the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (www.lcms.org) but we are certainly open to the right candidate, whether he is from a Lutheran, non-denominational or other church background. What’s most important is that this person is gifted for the role, supports the vision of Summit and complements our Lead Pastor.
The steps we take next with staffing, facilities and ministry systems are an opportunity to reach far beyond what we initially asked or imagined. In a very practical way, the past couple years have taught us to say: “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” Ephesians 3:20
Our Expectations of the Executive Pastor/Executive Director:
- Summit needs to expand our leadership capacity—in addition to business/ administrative capacity. This person launches the formation of a staff leadership team, who will play a key role to help the lead pastor wrestle with ministry and key strategic decisions. Adding another pastoral-level leader who is gifted in strategy and implementation will help to advance ministry growth.
- Our staff will benefit from someone who can help them grow and provide accountability. Our Lead Pastor has a passion to equip and inspire, and needs the right counterpart to turn these inspirations into action. Our HR leadership will improve with someone who can build a framework for effective goals and set staff free to lead.
- The Executive Pastor/Director will turn ideas into action. This person can play a key strategic role in helping to assess resources and what it will take to actually put theory to practice.
- In the coming year, we will need to commit to our multi-site and facilities expansion approach. The Executive Pastor/Director will administer this process, ensuring a solid project plan is in place and we are making the best of God’s provisions for us to expand.
- We are pushing the bounds of our human imagination about what it will take to reach 2000+ in worship and baptize 365 people in one year. The Executive Pastor/Director will layout the infrastructure and other support required to allow us to realize this vision.
Key Points Concerning the Position
- The position is open to both ordained and non-ordained candidates. In many churches, a business leader with a strong ministry mindset has made a great Executive Director. Our desire is that this person sees himself as, and is seen as, a ministry leader. There is a downstream potential that this position will have pastoral staff reporting to them.
Overview of this Position
The full-time director is responsible for leading day-to-day operations at Summit and strategically building systems for future ministry growth. He turns the vision of the Lead Pastor and church into action by leading staff and key ministry directors.
The Executive Pastor (or non-ordained Director) is supported and held accountable by the Lead Pastor at Summit. He serves as a part of the executive staff team and works ultimately in service to our church and community.
- Displays a strong, personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is committed to growing in faith and has a heart for ministry. Is committed to personal growth and leadership development.
- Supports Summit’s mission, values and discipleship pathway.
- Is a self-starter with an organizational mindset, decision-making ability and consistent follow-through.
- Has exceptional leadership and management skills:
- Demonstrates ability in execution and project management
- Able to identify, equip and develop leaders.
- Possesses superb oral and written communication skills.
- Displays exceptional skills in working with people:
- Able to relate both to people in our church and in our community
- Can motivate and encourage people to grow in faith
- Able to organize ministry leaders and create clarity about implementation
- Maintains approachability.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office programs and social media.
- Has experience working on staff in a creative environment.
- Has a master’s degree and is an ordained pastor in the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod or 4 year degree in a ministry or business related field with proven experience.
- 10 years of leadership experience as a senior leader in business or ministry.
Areas of Responsibility
- Support the Lead Pastor in the accomplishment of the church’s mission through ministry effectiveness evaluation, discernment, decision-making, planning and overall direction of the church staff.
- Lead the staff (and key leaders) to direct effective ministries that reach people for Christ & build disciples.
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning process to evaluate ministries, coach implementation teams and establish three year goals.
- Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures that provide the Lead Pastor, leadership board(s) and church staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of our ministry work.
- Develop annual financial plans that fund the accomplishment of the strategic plan and position the church for healthy, sustainable growth.
- Champion the development of ministry fractals and other infrastructure for future growth.
- Lead Summit through the expansion of ministry, including building and possible multi-site development.
- Preach occasionally to establish this role as a key spiritual leadership voice.
- Complete other duties as assigned by Lead Pastor and consistent with Summit’s mission and vision.
Executive Pastor key responsibilities and reports
Strategic Implementation & Operations
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Youth & Outreach Director
Children’s Ministry Director
Connections & Next Steps Director
Growth Group Director
Salary Commensurate with experience and a demonstrated history of results
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Executive Director of OperationsVictory Church
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- January 10
Faith Church - Executive Pastor of MinistriesVanderbloemen Search Group
- Sunset Hills, Missouri
- January 6
Campus PastorChurchology Staffing
- Allison Park , Pennsylvania
- January 3
Executive Director, ChristChurch PresbyterianChrist Church Presbyterian
- Atlanta, Georgia
- January 3
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- January 3