Position Description: Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry
Purpose: To develop and direct a family-based ministry for youth, children and their parents. The central goal of the positon will be to guide the children and youth of our community into relationship with Jesus Christ so that they may come
to a living faith, a true knowledge of God and by the power of the Holy Spirit live as Christ’s disciples within the fellowship of the church.
Accountability: The Director of Youth and Children’s Ministry will report to the Pastor/Head of Staff and will be accountable to the Session.
Qualification: Must be a committed disciple of Jesus Christ and believe in one God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Must accept the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be, by the Holy Spirit, the unique and authoritative witness to
Jesus Christ. Must adopt the essential tenets of the reformed faith as expressed in the confessions of Presbyterian Church as authentic and reliable expositions of what Scripture leads us to believe and do.
Skills Needed: A high level of personal maturity and integrity, good communication skills, ability to be able to coordinate mission trips, weekend retreats, respect for all ages, ability to relate exceptionally well with youth, children,
and their families. Experience in use of electronic social media applications.
I. Youth: Sixth Through Twelfth Grade
- Responsible for discipleship, teaching, outreach and fellowship for junior high and senior high students.
- Organize and lead the recruitment and training of volunteers or lay ministers as an adult team to minister to youth.
- Build relationships by spending quality time with youth and their families along with lay ministry teams in order to nurture spiritual growth.
- Direct and coordinate the confirmation class with the Head of Staff and lay ministers.
- Build and create and nurture positive relationships with the youth in the community and inactive youth in the congregation by interacting in their school settings, school events and community events.
- Develop and facilitate a consistent ministry that is innovative and provides multiple opportunities for growth and leadership development for youth (worship, service projects, retreats, mission trips, and different age groups in the congregation)
II. Children Preschool through Fifth Grade
- Direct the Children’s Sunday School Program and help provide leadership to a team of Sunday school teachers. Review and assess curriculum periodically and make recommendations for updates or change as necessary.
- Develop an Elementary School age fellowship group with Christian Education team.
- Work with Christian Education Team to develop and lead annual Vacation Bible School Program
- Oversee the nursery and supervise the nursery paid employees.
- Assist the Pastor in Sunday morning worship, teach and coordinate weekly Children’s Sermons, and preach several times a year.
- Provide regular reports to the Christian education team, and Session.
- Work with the Christian Education team to develop goals for the ministry and regularly assess and modify as needed.
- Meet with the Pastor Head of Staff and attend weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities in children, youth and family ministries.
- Provide written materials for the church newsletter; continue social media congregational contact and outreach through web pages and church Facebook page.
- Work with the church staff in a collegial manner to achieve overall church ministry goals and the church vision.
Work Schedule: This is a full time position, with the schedule to be arranged through the Pastor/Head of Staff
Compensation: Salary is reviewed annually by the Session’s personnel committee.
Evaluation: Performance review will be conducted by the Personnel Committee and the Pastor. (Initial review in 6 months, then yearly thereafter)