Christ United Methodist Church is a church of about 1,200 regular attenders in Jackson, MS and consists of contemporary and traditional worship services. We are seeking to hire a Technical Director to oversee all of our audio, video, and lighting needs.
It is important to note this position is more than a “gig.” Worshiping God with all that we have is imperative, no matter the role. In addition to technical responsibilities, the Technical Director is responsible for setting the spiritual tone for the Technical Ministry. The Technical Ministry volunteers must be spiritually prepared in addition to technically prepared for their role in worship. All team members will be required to take an attitude of ownership and responsibility, which must be first demonstrated by the Technical Director. Positive, humble, cooperative, and willing attitudes are imperative.
The Technical Director will support the mission of Christ United Methodist Church by overseeing and coordinating all aspects of the Technical Ministry in regards to audio, lighting, and video. The Technical Director’s ultimate goal is to ensure that services and events across all facilities and ministries are able to utilize technology efficiently, effectively, and strategically in order to enhance the experience of those attending.
While expertise in audio, lighting, and video issues is a must for this position, the emphasis is on empowering others to develop their skills, not doing everything yourself. The Technical Director should fully staff the needed positions and then be prepared to fill in, train, and troubleshoot when necessary.
Director of Music & Worship
1. Provide technical support for worship services and events:
- Maintain a reliable system for providing technical support for all worship services and events. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Audio mixing, monitor mixing, and audio recording (knowledge of Yamaha M7 series a plus)
- Lighting production (knowledge of Martin M1 console a plus)
- Switching with multiple cameras (IMAG)
- Video recording, and live streaming production
- ProPresenter/PowerPoint presentation
- Prepare stage for rehearsals, worship services, and events
- Initiate successful communication with pastors, Director of Music & Worship, ministry leaders, and event coordinators in order to help facilitate a/v needs.
Long-Term Goal: Ensure that every worship service and event at Christ Church is vibrant, distraction-free, and technically well supported.
2. Recruit, train, equip, schedule, and lead a/v staff and volunteers on assignment:
- Recruit a/v staff and volunteers for events and services.
- Train a/v staff and volunteers to competence.
- Equip a/v staff with the proper tools.
- Deploy a/v staff and volunteers to appropriate tasks.
Long-Term Goal: Create a healthy rotation of a/v staff and volunteers who help to ensure quality, distraction-free environments for worship services and events; begin moving into spiritual mentoring relationships with volunteers.
3. Update and maintain production technologies:
- Ensure that campus technologies are in working order.
- Advise on future purchases.
- Oversee any technical installation.
- Keep reliable records for purchases and licensing.
Long-Term Goal: All production technologies are at or approaching industry standards.
4. In-house video production:
- Oversee video production for worship services, including: capturing, live streaming, editing, uploading to website.
- Create a system to receive a manageable number of requests from ministries for video production.
- Carry projects from inception to final product.
Long-Term Goal: Enhance, expand, and maximize the efficiency of the video aspect of our technical ministry.
1. The successful candidate must be a fully devoted Christ-follower and fully support the ministry of Christ United Methodist Church. This individual’s commitment to Christ will be evidenced in his/her personal life, family relationships, and ministry. His/her daily walk with God will be an example to others with which he/she interacts.
2. Expert knowledge of audio systems and large-format digital consoles
- Knowledge of Yamaha M7 series a plus
- Familiarity with personal monitoring (i.e. AVIOM) and digital audio networks (i.e. DANTE)
3. Expert knowledge of media in the context of worship services
- Detailed knowledge of live and streaming video environments
i. Video switcher with multiple cameras (IMAG)
ii. Keyed computer-graphics (lower thirds)
iii. Presentation software (ProPresenter)
- Detailed knowledge of projectors, displays and video transmission
4. Expert knowledge of lighting in the context of worship services
- Knowledge of theatrical, intelligent, LED and lighting for video
- Familiarity with DMX programming
- Familiarity with Martin M1 console a plus
5. Ideal candidate is highly tech-savvy, able to learn and master new technology quickly and thoroughly
6. Expert knowledge of audio/video/lighting signal flows and strong ability to troubleshoot in all of these environments
7. Must possess a teachable spirit and collaborate well in a team environment
8. Excellent leadership skills
9. Ability to inspire and motivate teams of volunteers and leaders
10. Extremely strong interpersonal skills
11. Ability to embrace and pursue artistic and spiritual excellence in services
12. A gracious, Christ-like demeanor in demanding situations
13. Very strong organizational abilities and excellent attention to details
14. Ideal candidate is one that shows initiative, perseverance, and possesses a “whatever it takes” attitude
15. Ability to be flexible in an environment that is subject to spur of the moment change
16. Must possess solid time management skills
17. Must have the ability to coordinate several activities at once and quickly analyze and resolve specific problems
1. Formal training in production or related discipline
2. Must have broad hands-on experience with technology in a modern worship production environment
3. Experience in a Technical Director role at a church with 1000+ in weekly attendance preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
SCHEDULE AND HOURS:
1. 40-45 hours per week (salary position)
2. Work hours include some evenings and every Sunday
Christ United Methodist Church
6000 Old Canton Rd
Jackson, MS 39211
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Media DirectorNorthshore Christian Church
- Everett, Washington
- October 20
Technical DirectorSlingshot Group
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- October 19
Media & Communications DirectorSlingshot Group
- Valencia, California
- October 19
Music/Media PastorBroadview Baptist Church
- Abilene, Texas
- October 19
Youth/Creative MinisterBroadview Baptist Church
- Abilene, Texas
- October 19