Small Group Ministry
Overview: Dayspring UMC is a vibrant, young church that is well positioned to experience significant growth in the coming years. As we look toward the future, we have discerned a need to create more opportunities to connect with each other and grow in
our faith so that we can more effectively love our community. This is a critical aspect in the development of a sustainable growth model that will empower us to be a transformative presence in our community.
This full-time Director will be tasked with discerning and implementing a vision (with assistance and guidance of church leadership team) for launching and multiplying small groups within the life of the church. Core values for this ministry will include
relational connection, growth in faith and an active love of God and neighbor. However, this position will have freedom to shape the culture, context and shape of the ministry in order to best fit the culture of Dayspring and Tyler.
Essential Functions of the Position:
Small Groups: 85%
- Design and implement a ministry that creates discipleship opportunities that facilitate connection and spiritual formation within the life of the church
- Develop core curriculum that is designed to prepare participants to actively engage their faith outside the church.
- Identify, interview, train, develop and shepherd effective group leaders
- Monitor the health and effectiveness of each group, and provide conflict resolution if necessary
- Ensure timely multiplication of groups, or some comparable growth model
- Maintain adequate and appropriate communication with the communication regarding discipleship and connection opportunities.
Volunteer Management: 15%
- Recruit, train and manage volunteer base, with the ultimate goal of supplying the church’s internal volunteer needs with small participants
Core Competencies of the Position:
- Capacity to discern and implement vision
- Innovative- position will be offered a “blank slate” to create unique, new ministry opportunities.
- Discipleship- has capacity to mentor/disciple leaders in ways that grow their faith and leadership skills
- Clear communicator
- Strong interpersonal skills,
- Conflict management/resolution skills
- Natural “connector” who consistently looks for ways to get people plugged-in
- Sufficient organizational skills
Goals of the Position:
- Successful start-up of Discipleship Ministry
- Increase in percentage of worship attendance engaged in a group over the next two years (currently 400 in worship)
- Growth in volunteer engagement within two years (currently 50 weekly volunteers, volunteer base of 100 people)
Benefits of the Position:
- Full-Time position with pay commensurate with experience ($40-50K)
- 2 weeks paid vacation per year.
- Opportunity to pursue additional training/educational experiences
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Job Posting Dates: August 27 - Sept. 30. After evaluations and interview, job start date is flexible.
Please submit a detailed cover letter, application and resume to email@example.com, or deliver in person to Dayspring UMC 310 W. Cumberland Rd. Tyler, TX 75703