The Director of Youth Ministry and the Director for the After School Arts and Sports Program (ASAP) are separate roles that have been combined into one position creating a full time position for the right individual who can balance the required skills. The job descriptions are posted below sequentially. You need only apply once but please consider the questions as you apply within the Director of Youth Ministries position.
Director of Youth Ministries
PURPOSE: Youth Ministry with hands on responsibility for the spiritual life and growth of 7th-12th graders so that they may be strong and secure in their faith by the time they finish 12th grade. The Director of Youth Ministry will work 12-16 hours per week
under the supervision of the pastor and the
elders to provide an effective and comprehensive ministry to our youth, their friends, and young people throughout the county, that they might Experience God, Know Jesus Christ, Follow the Spirit and Love Others. Job position to begin (at the latest) on August 18th, 2014.
ABOUT US: Our mission as a church is to Experience God more fully; Know Christ more deeply; Follow the Spirit more closely; and Love Others more. We are a church of 150 members, 20 youth, and 40 children. We were planted in 2002 and purchased a building in 2010. We are comfortable within Reformed theology; as an entrepreneurial church we find ourselves able to do anything we deem effective in ministry. Our staff includes a pastor, children’s director, worship director, handyman/custodian, and youth director (possibly you).
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD BRING …
- A Passion for Young People: You have to like teenagers and everything about them; and be passionate about their growth in faith Christian Maturity, Experience, and Training: A Strong background in Christian experience, ministry and education.
- Also training in or exposure to Reformed theology.
- Leadership and Interpersonal Skills: Do others like to follow you? Oral presentations; understanding of group dynamics, ability to listen to others
- Technology Skills: (in order of importance) Social media, word processing, email, website maintenance, web resources, Powerpoint, Photoshop, movie making, spreadsheets
- Administrative Skills: Should be event and task-oriented, disciplined, organized, clear communicator
- Spiritual Vitality: Have a love for God, passion for worship, vibrant prayer life. Willing to become a member of our church.
- Evangelistic Concern: Have a desire to reach the lost, the outsider, the seeker
- Musical Ability: Skilled at leading group singing for the middle school and high school students (desired, not required)
- Creativity: Leading games, planning
- Patience: Possessing patience with children, adults with different personalities and in a variety of situations.
- Be a Role-model to youth for how to live out one’s faith as a 20-something or 30-something individual
- Lead weekly programs for children in middle and high school, teach Sunday School consistently, small group Bible studies; special events
- Plan and Publicize the program, content, games, schedule, themes and events
- Organize mission trips for youth and families, overnight special trips, service opportunities, outreach events
- Increase student commitment to Christ and involvement in discipleship and ministry
- Collaborate/Integrate with the church staff, so programs will have strategic impact—we’re a team
- Prepare students for membership in the church, and leadership as their gifts emerge
- Recruit, equip and communicate with volunteer staff and parents to ensure their effective participation
- Model the spirit and attitude of Christ in all things
- Be Mentored by the Pastor, maintain accountability and a strong work ethic
COMPENSATION : $12 to $18/hr depending on background, experience, and educational level. (no bachelors=$12-$15; bachelors = $13-18). Minor supplemental insurance; no paid vacation. Stipend for overnight trips of $75 per day (one night away = $150 stipend, two nights =$225 and so on). Possibility of housing allowance or subsidy.
Submit by email your resume, plus really good answers, to the questions below to: Cove@covefellowship.org
- In one paragraph, explain your philosophy of youth ministry. How would you put this into practice?
- Other than Scripture, what has been most influential in the formation of your Christian faith? Reference traditions, education, mentors, other individuals, books, music, camp and parachurch experiences, etc.
- Describe a significant youth ministry experience you have had in the past. Why was it significant?
- From your point of view, what are the biggest problems facing students today? What are some effective ways of dealing with these problems?
- To provide leadership, direction, and hands on involvement in every aspect of ASAP
- To provide visible leadership for ASAP among the congregation of The Cove. This will mean becoming a part of our congregation.
- To increase and improve upon the accomplishments, goals and standards that have been achieved by ASAP.
HOURS AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
- The Director will work five days a week (between noon and 6:30pm, weekdays), up to 25 hours per week, 42 weeks per year. There is a one-week break during Christmas/New Year’s and a 9 week break during the summer.
- The Director will be supervised by the Pastor of The Cove and the ASAP Steering Committee. This ministry is a community service project of The Cove and as such, it is vitally connected to the ongoing life of the congregation.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD BE:
- A winsome leader: kids must like you, parents must feel confident about you, staff must want to work for you
- A capable administrator: with a track record of financial skills, publishing skills, and marketing skills
- A creative problem solver: new situations emerge every day, requiring the ability to constantly adjust
- Strong enough to climb ladders, play with kids, set up equipment: the physical demands of this job are taxing
- Willing to do every job: e.g., cleaning paintbrushes, washing the van, teaching music, playing basketball
- An athlete and an artist: we need to offer a more robust sports curriculum
- A strategic planner: we have to plan ahead to find teachers, staff, transportation, and customers
- Able to articulate the vision of ASAP: nurturing children toward a godly life through the arts and recreation
- Church Relations - Foster and maintain The Cove’s commitment to ASAP, financially and as the primary pool of volunteer support
- Marketing - Design and publish brochures as needed, Advertise and conduct public relations and school relations; Grow the program to 40 enrollees at all times
- Parent Relations - Ensure prompt communication with parents while their kids are at ASAP; Spanish language skills are desired
- Staffing - Recruit and schedule volunteers and paid staff; Supervise, train, and evaluate; Ensure the staff is paid fairly and timely; Manage the staff well
- Interacting with Children - Earn the trust of the children. Play with them. Help them with homework. Nurture and care for them.
- Logistics - Obtain Class B Driver’s License and pick-up kids from school; Supervise the daily snack; Ensure a tidy and sanitary environment
- Bookkeeping and Financial Management - Send out billing statements to parents; Maintain the scholarship program; Keep expenses and income balanced
- Curriculum - Ensure a steady offering of sports and arts; Teach new skills to kids, especially sports skills
- Website Maintenance - Maintain a clear and up to date site to facilitate enrollment
COMPENSATION : $14 to $18/hr depending upon education and experience. You will accrue holiday pay, but no vacation benefit and no health care benefit, except a supplemental insurance benefit. The Cove, as the employing organization, will pay payroll taxes (fica and worker’s comp).
TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter by email to Cove@covefollowship.org In your cover letter, demonstrate familiarity with the purpose, program, pricing, curriculum, and philosophy of ASAP as expressed on our website, and give specific examples of how you meet the requirements of this job. Provide at least three references.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Student PastorGrace Point Church
- San Antonio, Texas
- December 6
Student Ministry PastorUniontown Bible Church
- Westminster, Maryland
- December 6
Dogwood Church - Director of Student MinistryVanderbloemen Search Group
- Peachtree City, Georgia
- December 6
AV High School DirectorHigh Desert Church
- Victorville, California
- December 6
Pastor of NextGen MinistriesPrivate Profile
- Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- December 6
Our mission as a church is to Experience God more fully; Know Christ more deeply; Follow the Spirit more closely; and Love Others more. We are a church of 150 members, 20 youth, and 40 children. We were planted in 2002 and purchased a building in 2010. We are comfortable within Reformed theology; as an entrepreneurial church we find ourselves able to do anything we deem effective in ministry. Our staff includes a pastor, children’s director, worship director, handyman/custodian, and youth director More...