Job Title: Worship Pastor
Reports To: Executive Pastor
Overview: The Worship Pastor skillfully combines truth, creativity, and music to glorify God, proclaim the Gospel of Christ, and lead the church into the presence of God. His or her responsibilities fit into four main categories:
(1) Collaborative Worship Team Player, (2) Team Builder / Trainer, (3) Leading Others to Treasure Christ, and (4) Shepherd.
Job skills & Requirements
- A committed Christian who will participate and engage in the New Life community.
- Be unified with the culture and doctrine of New Life as presented in our
30 Core Competencies and our Teaching Doctrinal Statement (Available at www.NewLifeTucson.com).
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree, seminary and/or pastoral experience preferred.
- Excellent musical (vocal and instrumental) abilities to build bands of musicians, teams of singers, lead technical teams, and encourage creative arts.
- Knowledge of music theory and ability to teach/train others. Ability to play and lead instrumentally.
- Excellent up-front pastoral skills of leading prayers, scripture readings, and worship services.
- Good communication skills.
- Gifted as a team builder and multiplier.
- Good relational skills and a heart to care for people.
- Have the desire and ability to serve multiple ministries by helping them integrate worship into their ministries and events.
- Have, guard, and prioritize a healthy trusting relationship with all Pastors and Staff.
- Have a servant’s heart, placing the needs of the body and the team above self.
Job Responsibilities & Duties
Collaborative Worship Team Player:
- Oversees the Worship and Technical Team.
- Works with the pastoral staff as a team, creatively brainstorming the flow of a worship service to lead people in a specific direction. The Worship Pastor facilitates this process and is responsible for the general flow of worship services.
- Scripture and the Holy Spirit determine the direction of each service, so the Senior Pastor has input setting the theme, tone, and overall direction of services, but the Worship Pastor is the producer of each service, leading the collaborative efforts
of the team and coordinating the details of each service.
- The goal is that everything in a worship service (announcements, prayers, music, sermon, art, drama, or other creative elements) would all work together in a single God glorifying direction.
- Oversees the overall feel, aesthetics, visuals, and music of all services.
- Assist in leading and mentoring other worship teams in the church such as men’s, women’s youth, and children’s, along with special choirs, ensembles, and events.
- Helps direct and develop a music worship culture in the church that is effective in reaching people across generations and cultures, including the unchurched.
Team Builder / Trainer:
- Sets up teams of singers and musicians to play on a rotation basis and provides them the chord charts or arrangements they need to play (guitars, horns, strings, key boards, percussion, etc.).
- Sets up tech teams on a rotation basis and oversees the standards for mixes, volume, backgrounds, and other creative structures that affect music and worship in the church.
- The band, singers, and Tech teams are like small groups under the Worship Pastor’s leadership. This involves trust, community, loving each other well, and the freedom for each voice to be valued and heard.
- Trains and builds up other worship leaders. On any given weekend there may be sets or songs that multiple people lead under the general direction of the Worship Pastor.
- The Worship Pastor is a multiplier in two ways: 1) He or she mentors other leaders to duplicate themselves, and 2) He or she inspires the gifts in others so that the fruit of the group is multiplied because of their leadership.
- A willingness to develop the skills of the entire team.
- From God, through God, and to God – everything exists for and is purposed for His glory. So we confidently say that the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. In this light the Worship Pastor has a goal in all things of leading
people to treasure Christ.
- New Life has a cultural goal of lifting up the bigness of God. The Worship Pastor shares in this by choosing songs and styles of music that exalt the glory of God.
- Loving people is what a pastor does. The Worship Pastor is a creative musician, but they are foundationally a pastor first. They love people and care for people well.
- Functions as a pastor for the whole body, building relationships, visiting and otherwise pastoring the people of New Life. This is especially true of those involved in the music and technology areas.
- Participates in teaching classes or preaching on occasion as a pastor of New Life.
- Works to establish relationships with unchurched people.
- Oversees special services such as weddings and funerals, nights of worship, graduation, Christmas caroling, as needed within the body.
- Helps attendees connect in the body, specifically into relationships, discipleship, and shepherding.
- As needed, serves with the Associate Connection Pastor as a potential small groups coach or trainer.
- Comes alongside to support existing leadership or lead various ministries as the Elder Board determines need. This may include young adults, elderly, or family ministry.
Fit is crucial. At New life Staff and Ministry Teams are family. We like to laugh often, play hard, and have fun serving together. Much of this would be discerned in a follow up questionnaire and interview process, but for now we’d like to ask five questions:
- Contrast and compare Hillsong and Sovereign Grace as music resources. Would you use either or both of these as a Worship Pastor?
- Musical styles and philosophies vary widely. How would you describe your preference for instruments, styles, variety, and song selection?
- What is your overall opinion of using hymns in a worship set?
- Share your heart for worship. How did music become a significant expression of your faith?
- Do you have favorite artists that have impacted you? How have you seen music used beautifully or poorly in worship?
Please email or send your resume along with a picture and a sample recording of you leading worship. The sample recording does not have to be long and can be audio or video. You can send audio/video links or mail CD/DVD’s.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: Jobs, New Life Bible Fellowship, 4900 W Cortaro Farms Road, Tucson, AZ 85742
DUE BY: September 30, 2014