Director of Children & Family Ministries
St. Paul United Methodist Church
2000 Douglass Blvd. Louisville, KY 40205
St. Paul United Methodist Church is seeking a Director of Children & Family Ministries. The full-time Director will have a passion for working with children, their families, and the congregation at-large to embody the mission of St. Paul UMC as a place where Christians “engage head, heart, and hands in love of God and others.” Through ministries and programs such as: Sunday School, summer and seasonal events, age-appropriate mission and service opportunities, and worship moments the Director of Children & Family Ministries will develop, schedule, and supervise the full range of ministries related to children’s ministries.
Description of Children’s Ministries: The Children’s Ministries of St. Paul UMC include children (birth – 4th grade) and their families.
Essential Functions of the position
- Design, implement, and continue to build upon existing children and family ministry opportunities that integrate relationship building, growth in faith, and enthusiasm/fun.
- Design and coordinate an intentional plan for children’s faith formation including: Sunday morning opportunities, monthly and bi-monthly large group gatherings, and other events.
- Develop and train leaders who will to participate in the planning and execution of children’s and family ministries.
- Plan and coordinate ministry and faith formation opportunities for families of all kinds. Minister to the children and families in times of celebration and/or need.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and oversee childcare volunteers for church events.
- Collaborate with church staff and key lay leaders to integrate the children’s and family ministries with the overall life of the church.
- Collaborate with Children’s Ministry Team. Oversee team budget.
- Relate and connect with the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) program that meets at St. Paul.
- Collaborate with the Director of Student Ministries to create a long-term, coherent, and sustainable growth and Christian education plan for all children and youth.
- Maintain adequate and appropriate communication with congregation and community regarding children’s and family ministries. Communicate with the congregation and community via church media (i.e. bulletin, website, The Tower, etc.) and other avenues. Use social media and technology effectively and appropriately.
Core Competencies of the position
Ministry planning: Demonstrate abilities to plan and coordinate diverse ministry opportunities including: small group studies, large group gatherings, retreats, missional opportunities, and fellowship and social events. Express a vision for the children’s and family ministries. Work to bring others alongside the vision, and maintain a commitment of striving towards the vision.
Lesson planning & Teaching: Design or identify effective lesson plans, and facilitate learning experiences in both small and large group setting. Select teaching topics or curriculum that is relevant, and contributes to a growth in faith for children and families.
Leadership Development: Encourage others to discover and engage their giftedness and skills in service to the larger community. Support the development of others’ skills and abilities. Actively seek to engage others more directly in the leadership life of the congregation. Think strategically about the continual need for a next generation of leaders, and work to build leadership capacity.
Hospitality: Generate a sense of hospitality and accessibility by his or her very presence. Communicate a sense of availability, warmth, openness and approachability. Support a culture of welcoming and connection in the life of the congregation.
Interpersonal Skills & Volunteer Management: Demonstrate enthusiasm and initiative when ministering with children, parents, and the congregation at-large. Possess the ability to identify and solve problems, handle conflict, and engage in honest conversation. Work well with church staff, congregation members, and volunteers. Provide direction, gain commitment, facilitate change, and achieve results through the efficient, creative, and responsible use of volunteers.
Creativity and Innovation: Generates new ideas. Make new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches. Take acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation. Learns from mistakes. Use good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others. Practice direct, honest, and transparent communication. Keep confidences. Admit mistakes. Operate with no hidden agendas. Respond to situations with constancy and reliability.
Communication Skills: Possess the ability to express thoughts and feelings clearly, openly, authentically, and theologically. Communicate appropriately according to the situation at hand.
Administrative Skills: Understand basic budgeting and planning. Familiar with and adhere to Safe Sanctuaries policies. Amenable to supervision.
Goals of the position
St. Paul UMC understands that this job description provides the essential functions and core competencies of the Director of Children & Family Ministries. This document does not offer an exact list of events, schedule, and programs for the Director to maintain. Instead, the Director – in conversation with the St. Paul church staff and ministry teams – will establish specific plans for ministries, events, programs, and goals.
A successful candidate will have:
- Passion for walking alongside and developing the faith of children and families at all spiritual maturity levels
- Vision for growth, depth, and fruitfulness in children’s and family ministries.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years of experience in leading and/or working in the areas of children’s and family ministries.
- Follow the same spiritual and moral standards set for pastors in The United Methodist Church.
Report: Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Director of Discipleship & Connection, and S/PRC
Hours/Salary: Full-time exempt position; 40 hours per week; salary commensurate with experience
Benefits available: Health Insurance, Pension, Vision and/or Dental Insurance
Office Space: Office space with computer provided.
Job Posting Dates: August 20 – September 19. After review and interview, start date is flexible.
St. Paul UMC is large, urban church located in the Highlands community in Louisville, KY. The St. Paul congregation gathers three times each Sunday for worship (600 average attendance, 2,000 members), and at various times in different ways during the week.
Please submit a detailed introduction letter and resume to Rev. David Garvin via email/postal mail:
Rev. David S. Garvin
St. Paul United Methodist Church
2000 Douglass Blvd.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Journey Kidz Pastor/DirectorThe Journey Church
- New York, New York
- January 18
Associate/Family PastorNew Life Community Church
- Irmo, South Carolina
- January 18
- lakeland, Florida
- January 18
Children's Ministry DirectorNew Life Bible Fellowship
- Tucson, Arizona
- January 17
Director of Children's MinistryTrinity United Methodist Church
- Columbus, Ohio
- January 17