First Baptist Church of Anacortes, Washington
First Baptist Church is a church of about 250 people. We are located in a community of about 20,000 on Fidalgo Island in western Washington. Only 15% of these people participate in church. God’s mission for FBC is to make followers of Jesus Christ. Our
strategy is to help people connect to Christ in worship, grow in groups, serve in a ministry and invite others to join with us.
We are seeking a permanent fulltime associate pastor that meets or exceeds the position description below.
- Equip the church for growth.
- Provide primary support to the Senior Pastor.
- Develop and sustain a strong viable children’s and youth ministry.
- Increase effectiveness and participation in ministry teams.
- Support the mission of the church to make followers of Jesus Christ.
- Support the vision and values of the church.
- Support the strategy of the church to Connect, Grow, Serve, and Invite.
- Assist the Senior Pastor in preaching, teaching, and leading in worship.
- Perform duties and tasks as requested by the Senior Pastor, such as hospital visits, authoring a monthly newsletter article, assisting with weddings and funerals, etc.
- Lead Youth and Children’s Ministries
- Develop an overall plan for children’s and youth ministries, including VBS and youth mission trips.
- Direct an effective Sunday ministry program for children and youth through twelfth grade; train and equip volunteers to run this program.
- Expand and lead a mid-week youth ministry, implementing the church’s mission within youth ministries.
- Organize volunteer ministry team leaders and participants.
- Mentor, teach and coach ministry team leaders and volunteers in leadership principles.
- Meet with ministry leaders regularly to provide leadership support, direction and focus.
- Lead ministry budget strategic planning based on church bylaws and policies.
- Leadership aptitude along with excellent communication skills, including public speaking.
- Administration and organizational skills, with the ability to manage many tasks concurrently.
- Skill in scheduling and project management.
- Ability to work well with others in teams and unity.
- Ability to support a multi-generational church.
- Computer skills, including Windows and MSOffice.
- A personal commitment to follow Jesus.
- A call into the Gospel ministry and the ability to speak about this calling (Matthew 4:19).
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. Christian Theology preferred but not necessary.
- Knowledge of American Baptists, their distinctives and other characteristics.
- Willingness to demonstrate the character of an elder (1 Timothy 3:2-4, 1 Peter 5:2-3).
- Willingness to be a servant leader (Matthew 20:25-28).
- Willingness to be a team player (1 Corinthians 12:12-26).
- Commitment to the church’s mission of making followers of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:19-20).
- Experience in leading and training volunteers.
If interested in being considered, please email the following items to Fbcpastorposition@gmail.com.
- A letter of introduction detailing who you are, your education background, your call to the ministry, your relationship with Christ and what experience you have working in Student and/or children’s ministry.
- A current resume with a photo.
- Three references.
- Any questions you have about this position.