We are seeking a shepherd who loves students and their families to lead our student ministry. The Student Pastor should also be an energetic, highly motivated, team builder. He should have experience and success in building and training a team of
leaders. He should have balanced view of the importance of both outreach and discipleship. He must be a man committed to personal spiritual disciplines as well as building the body corporately. The strengths of our student ministry have been a commitment
to missions and serving within the local church body. RTBC is located just outside Annapolis, Maryland.
All RTBC Pastors are required to provide pastoral care and spiritual direction for the RTBC church family in matters of preaching, teaching, leading worship, prayer, baptism, communion, officiating at weddings, conducting funerals, counseling, hospital visitation
and other areas as needed or requested.
It is imperative that all RTBC Pastors whole-heartedly support the leadership of the Senior Pastor and diligently pursue the mission, purposes and core values of Riva Trace Baptist Church at all times. All RTBC Pastors must meet the biblical qualifications
outlined in I Timothy 3 and demonstrate a vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ, a man of prayer and the Word; manifesting a passion for God and His Church.
II. Student Pastor
First and foremost, this leader must love students and consistently model the love of Christ in both attitude and actions to all students entrusted to his care. He must exhibit a steadfast love for God and a heartfelt passion for Student Ministry. In addition,
this leader must communicate frequently and relate well with parents. The establishing and strengthening of God honoring relationships with both students and parents must always remain a top priority in the planning of his time.
Trainer and Equipper
This leader must have the ability to recruit, equip, and release both adults and students into ministry and delegate effectively. He must be able to build, maintain and grow a Student Ministry leadership team comprised of adult leaders who share his love
for God, commitment to students and qualify as Biblical role models. He must be able to provide the necessary training in order to equip them for service in Student Ministry.
This leader must help champion and protect the broader mission of the Church and the fulfillment of our God-given purposes. He must demonstrate a commitment to the core values of the Church and seek to integrate Student Ministry with the ongoing pursuit
of our unique calling and vision as a Church body/family. He should seek and create opportunities for the students to serve and to function as an integral part of the broader Church.
This leader must be able to help all students (and student leaders) grow in their personal relationship with God and in their knowledge, understanding and application of biblical truth in their daily lives. A love and respect for God’s Word must be central
to all aspects of Student Ministry and regularly cultivated among the students. He must consistently make opportunities for the teaching and application of God’s Word.
This leader must always be looking for a variety of ways and providing regular opportunities for our students to reach out to other students in our community in order to share the love and hope of Christ. These outreach events and activities should provide
the opportunity for relationship building, modeling, and always give opportunity for following Christ through the presentation of the gospel.
This leader must give students regular opportunities to grow and experience life change through short-term mission trips and/or service projects. A balanced offering of trips and projects appropriate for each age, experience and maturity level must be provided
in order to meet students where they are and challenge them to take their next step.
Experience & Education
- · Bachelor’s degree required
- · Seminary or Bible College training is desired
- · Two - five years of experience as a Student Pastor in a church of at least 500
Direct Oversight of/Involvement in Student Ministry (Middle School & High School)
- Set the direction of and establish goals for the Student Ministry through a God generated vision. Specifically, present the vision and carry out the vision through leading a team of adult volunteers to embrace their calling to Student Ministry to carry
out the mission by the use of their spiritual gifts.
- Create targeted programming for the middle school and the high school.
- Take responsibility for the recruitment, equipping, and the development of all middle school and high school adult volunteer staff.
- Plan and organize a balanced yearly calendar for the Student Ministry in the areas of evangelism, discipleship, ministry, worship, and fellowship.
- Select curriculum for both the Sunday morning and Wednesday evening for both middle school and high school students.
- Create opportunities for middle school students to serve in local service projects and national mission trips.
- Establish a comprehensive plan for high school mission trips that encompasses local, national, and foreign projects and trips. It should also include various levels to give students of all levels of spiritual maturity the opportunity to serve and be stretched.
- Team with the Children’s Director to establish a well-planned transition for elementary students moving into middle school during the months of June and July.
- Team with the Young Adult Ministry leader to establish a well-planned transition for high school seniors graduating into the college/Young Adult ministry.
- Maintain regular leadership team meetings for both middle school and high school to review previous month(s), plan for the upcoming month(s), and engage in long term planning and vision.
- Seek out opportunities to spend time with middle school and high school students outside the planned events and meeting times by way of telephone, e-mail, attending practices and/or games, graduations, important events, etc. Do likewise with their parents/families.
- Operate a balanced yearly budget for all middle school and high school programming
- Establish a positive and regular flow of communication between student leadership and the parents of all high school and middle school students
Overall Church Responsibilities
- Attend and participate in weekly Staff, periodic Staff planning and Pastors’ planning meetings.
- Attend and participate in monthly Ministry Leaders’ meetings and Church business meetings
- Actively participate in and enthusiastically support all events that involve the total Church body
- Maintain a current accounting of and exercise oversight for all expenditures in your areas of responsibility
- Participate in weekend services as requested by the Senior Pastor
- Other duties as assigned
Relation to the Staff:
The Student Pastor reports directly to the Senior Pastor and is accountable to the Elder Board
What to include in your application
- A photograph of yourself and spouse/family (if applicable)
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position
- Include at least three references from people who have first-hand knowledge of your passion, experience and impact as a leader in the areas and duties detailed in this job description
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: Riva Trace Baptist Church
475 West Central Avenue
Davidsonville, MD 21035
Attn: Youth Pastor Search