Bellaire United Methodist Church (BUMC), a Houston-area suburban congregation located in the enclave city of Bellaire, TX, is seeking a full time Director of Youth Ministries who can coordinate and lead our Youth Ministries. BUMC is a multi-ethnic, multi-generational
congregation with an average Sunday attendance of about 325 and a large potential for growth. BUMC strives to be known throughout the community as a well-established, friendly congregation committed to making disciples for Jesus Christ and a heart for service
in our community.
We, the congregation of Bellaire UMC, are called to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world; we seek to accomplish this by intentionally connecting people to people, people to service and people to God.
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
PURPOSE & FOCUS
The purpose of this position is not only to connect students with God and each other, to help them grow in faith, and to challenge and equip students for leadership and service in the Body of Christ but also to grow and expand our existing youth programs
in order to create a ministry that is engaging and is spiritually dynamic.
We envision our Youth Ministry to be a place where youth want to hang out, make friends, have fun and are challenged to grow in their personal faith. This growth will be evidenced through youth that are connected to Christ, maturing in their Christian faith
and engaged in service and outreach.
The focus of this ministry will be the youth who have connections to BUMC as well as the many youth in the community with whom we currently have no connections.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The qualified person will lead all aspects of Youth Ministry at BUMC including the oversight, development, planning and implementation of all programming for the Youth Ministries.
- Building on existing programs and developing new youth programs to include discipleship, mission and ministry programs for Middle School and High School age youth including:
- Sunday School
- Worship experience
- Discipleship classes
- Mission and outreach programs
- Fellowship activities
- Youth retreats
- Small groups
- All other youth group activities
- Develop solid and outgoing relationships with middle and high school youth in the church.
- Develop relationships and programs that will attract youth from outside of the church.
- Develop, lead, and guide a team of adult youth leaders. Directly supervise volunteer leaders and workers in Outreach and Discipleship ministries with youth, grades six through twelve. This includes but is not limited to Christian Education, Small Groups,
Confirmation and Youth Groups.
- Recruit, select and direct summer youth ministry intern in consultation with Pastor.
- Attend, participate in, and provide leadership with volunteer youth leaders that seeks to integrate kids into the life of the larger church including worship, fellowship activities, service projects and special event.
- Work in partnership with other area churches.
- Work under the direct supervision of the Pastor in consultation with the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
- Participate as a member of the BUMC Ministry Team, attending regular staff meetings and church committee meetings as needed
- Participate in the church’s overall leadership team. The person in this position is a contributing member of the church’s staff and works collaboratively with the staff to pursue the church’s mission. He/she will seek opportunities to integrate the youth
program with other church programs and to support those programs and their leaders
- Possessing a solid personal faith and walk in Jesus Christ and expected to bear witness to Christ not just in teaching, but in lifestyle
- Able and willing to affirm and teach Wesleyan theology.
- Experience in leading dynamic and exciting youth ministry is preferred.
- Experienced in volunteer leader development with recruitment of potential leadership in youth and adults is preferred.
- Able to coach and challenge youth as they explore and grow in their faith through shared experiences including retreats, and missions.
- Demonstrate the maturity and wisdom needed to provide structure, high expectations, and guidance for the spiritual growth process of youth.
- Demonstrate ability to earn respect and maintain discipline and confidentiality.
- Ability to plan and lead youth oriented worship service.
- Ability to preach in a way that’s relevant to a youth oriented audience.
- Have the emotional, physical and mental stamina to keep up with the fast pace of today’s youth.
- Possessing an outgoing and engaging personality.
- BA or comparable experience that demonstrates commitment to ministering to youth is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate with a variety of social media tools.
- Possessing strong organizational and planning skills necessary to organize a budget, plan programs, organize fund-raisers, etc.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with various office related software.
- Familiarity with audio and video technologies.