Apply online at http://moumc.org/apply.
Summary: The Worship Leader will play a critical role in creating excellent, authentic and compelling worship experiences at Missouri UMC through worship planning coordination of all services, music leadership and service participation,
while fostering the engagement and participation of the congregation and its gifts.
About Missouri United Methodist Church:
Missouri United Methodist Church exists to connect all people with Jesus Christ. We do this by welcoming enthusiastically, growing deeply, and serving courageously.
- Large membership, university church in the heart of downtown Columbia, MO on the edge of the University of Missouri campus
- Vibrant music ministry heritage with eagerness to grow worship and music to reach new generations
- Active student ministry, Spark, collaborates with campus and congregation
- Access to arts and music community and talent through congregation and community leadership
- Affordable life style, funky downtown atmosphere, across from Shakespeare’s Pizza, and next door to the Mizzou Tigers!
Accountable to: Missouri United Methodist Church's Senior Pastor
Classification: Hours to be determined and compensation based on experience and qualifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead 8:50 and 5:00 worship music and congregational singing with quality and consistency and in a participatory way that draws the congregation closer to Christ.
- In consultation with the preaching pastor and informed through the worship planning process, select and prepare music for 8:50 and 5:00 weekly worship, and any other additional worship services.
- Prepare lyrics slides for congregational singing.Schedule choirs/ensembles/bands/musicians as needed for all weekly services.
- Cultivate relationships with MU, community music and arts groups, etc.
- Prepare and equip choirs/ensembles/bands/musicians for worship by leading weekly rehearsal and any additional activities, as needed.
- Contribute creatively to the overall worship experience at Missouri UMC
- Coordination with audio/visual and communications staff and volunteers
- Attend and contribute to regular worship planning retreats and meetings.
- Commitment to Missouri UMC’s mission to connect all people with Jesus Christ.
- Personal, growing relationship with Christ and ability to lead others in that journey.
- Strong ability to effectively lead worship vocally and instrumentally.
- Previous experience leading worship and/or bands, along with knowledge of worship music.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Team player with teachable spirit and ability to adapt to change quickly in a continuously growing ministry environment.
- Songwriting ability & experience
- Music composing/arranging ability & experience
- Ability and experience with programming and playing with click tracks
- Skills and experience with audio/visual/lighting systems
- Familiarity with computers, software, and audio-visual technology for worship (e.g. MediaShout, Prezi, etc.)
Desired Characteristics of All Church Staff:
- Strong Relational, Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Poised and non-anxious presence; Networks with others; Looks for opportunities to connect people's interests and needs with MUMC's values and ministries; Adjusts listening and
speaking to build rapport across generational, behavioral and situational divides for effective internal communication with church members and groups; Articulate and express verbally and in written forms
- Innovative and Entrepreneurial: Change agent or change implementer (depending on position); Opportunity-focused (people are not an interruption); Life-long learner; Self-directed (takes initiative)
- A Heart for Christ: Called to this work; Does no harm; Does good; Practices spiritual disciplines; Brings others into a relationship with Christ; Enthusiastically tells about how God is at work in their lives
- Servant Leader: Authentic, sincere & humble; Develops others through cultivating their gifts and talents (deploying, resourcing, holding accountable, coaching); Supports church’s vision, mission, values and leaders; Comfortable leading
in an adaptive and accountable environment; Fully engaged in work and ministry; Works well in team environments
- Large & Growing Church Mindset: Can imagine what their area needs to become as the church doubles in size; Has experienced larger church ministry
Prior to first day of work at MUMC, candidate must be Safe Sanctuary certified by the Missouri Conference, including a criminal background check and training for safety of children ages 1-18 and vulnerable adults. For more information, go to:
This description of duties does not imply nor constitute a contractual obligation of any kind of employment between the Missouri United Methodist Church and any of its employees.
Job duties and expectations may change as the mission and ministry of the Missouri United Methodist Church evolves, grows or changes.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties in compliance with state and federal laws.