Reports to: Lead Pastor
Status: Quarter Time (7-10 hrs/wk), Hourly Employee. $15-$17/hr depending on experience
The bookkeeper will primarily manage the finances of Messiah Lutheran Church and ensure all financial records are in good standing.
- Oversee all accounts payable
- Manage Payroll for Employees
- Record all donations that come into the church
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Responsible for cash flow and keeping council and Lead Pastor apprised of all financial situations.
- Be Responsible as the church financial coordinator with Chrysalis Christian Preschool
- Back up all Quickbooks files on church server
- Oversee all IRS communications
- Pay all payroll taxes
- Coordinate with Lead Pastor on salary increases and changes in benefits
- Report all changes in benefits and salaries with the ELCA Portico Benefits services
- Oversee benevolence payments
- Prepare all reports as requested by pastor, staff, council members and ministry team leaders
- Proficiency in Quickbooks
- Proficiency in managing finances and payroll
Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps
the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest details.
Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skill required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; understands which skill are lacking and seeks to develop those skills; continually works toward
the mastery of technical proficiency.
Communication: Is able to deliver a message clearly, articulately and with appropriate emotion in a variety of settings; demonstrates communication styles appropriate to the situation at hand. I able to write clearly and succinctly;
employs correct grammar and punctuation.
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time to direct leadership to what is important in terms of managing payments to vendors. Can quickly zone in on the critical issues. Can sense what will help or hinder moving the organization forward
Organizational Knowledge: Knowledgeable about congregational communication, decision making and leadership works; knows how to get things done through formal and informal decision making channels; anticipates organizational barriers
and plan his/her approach accordingly.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest and transparent communication; keeps confidences, especially giving records; admits mistakes; doesn’t operate with hidden agendas; responds to situations
with constancy and reliability.