The Worship & Arts Department seeks a professional, well trained musician/ director to serve in the position of Assistant Director of Music. This position is a supportive role to the Minister of Worship & Arts. Primary responsibilities are to assist in the
weekly planning and production of the various worship experiences in the church. This is a full time position with an attractive benefits package.
Mount Olive Baptist Church is a 140 year old predominately African American congregation located in Arlington, Virginia within five miles of the Nation’s Capital. The congregation is multi-generational and includes young families with children, single adults
and a significant senior population. The church facilities are located within walking distance to Arlington National Cemetery and the U.S. Department of Defense offices at the Pentagon. Mount Olive is steeped in the history of Arlington as well as the United
States, as its roots go back to the post Civil War period. It was founded in a residential community established by former slaves following the Civil War in 1874 and is now located less than 5 miles from its original site. Mount Olive members reside throughout
the metropolitan area from as far north as Gaithersburg, Maryland to as far south as Fredericksburg, Virginia. The worship style utilizes a blend of both traditional and contemporary music.
Duties: The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited, to the following.
- Serve as a key member of church worship/leadership team and regularly attend senior staff meetings.
- Consult/advise the Pastor, Minister of Worship & Arts, et al, regarding the worship and arts ministry needs of the total church music program (worship services, special programs, ministry activities, etc-);
- Participate in weekly worship evaluation conference call.
- Select/recommend appropriate and theologically sound worship materials, music and methodologies to meet the above needs, based on the Holy Spirit, established worship objectives and knowledge of worship and music repertory, with Minister of Worship & Arts’
consultation; Ensure the designation and performance of competent, well prepared worship, music staff and/or volunteers to support the total church program;
- Participate in worship planning and assist the Minister of Worship & Arts and Ministerial Staff in developing and implementing worship guides;
- Regularly attend worship services, special program, ministry functions, and staff meetings to provide music support, guidance and direction;
- Direct one (or more) vocal, instrumental and/or worship & arts aggregations; with concentration with the Men of Valor and Created for Worship Youth and Young Adult Choir
- Oversee musical services with coverage (conduct, play, sing) as appropriate and/or necessary;
- Consult with Minister of Worship & Arts and Media Supervisor concerning the sound technology needs of the music ministry, to include ensuring proper sound adjustment based on musical selections;
- Assist in the development and implementation of programs and procedures designed to involve church members in the overall music and maintain positive relationships with the congregation;
- Provide music lyrics and informational musical input for all church media and information systems such as bulletins, special services, worship screens
- Assist the Minister of Worship & Arts in conducting timely, regular, and pedagogically sound rehearsals;
- Accompany Pastor, ministerial staff and church ministries to outside services and special events as required;
- Monitor the Music budget in collaboration with the Pastor, Minister of Worship & Arts and all ministries impacted by the Music ministry.
- Maintain accurate membership lists and attendance rolls of all Music Ministry groups;
- Provide input to the church bulletin, newsletter and other media as required,
- Maintain weekly practice schedule on primary and other instruments;
- Participate in and provide continuing education through formal courses, conferences, workshops, and relevant books and periodicals;
- Maintain church membership and participation in local and national professional associations such as the National Association of Pastoral Musicians, the American Guild of Organists, The Choristers Guild, National Convention of Gospel Choirs and Choruses.
- Develop a network with other churches and musicians; and,
- Ensure prayer, outreach, visitation, bible study, retreats and general pastoral care for Worship and Arts Ministry members.
Level of Responsibility: Assistant Minister of Music is responsible for assisting the Minister of Worship & Arts in effective envisioning, development, preparation, coordination, performance and overall leadership of a balanced and well-rounded
Music Ministry program. The incumbent must possess a high degree of integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
Level and Nature of Contacts: The Staff Musician with the Pastor, Minister of Worship & Arts, local and national professional associations such as the National Association of Pastoral Musicians, the American Guild of Organists, The Choristers
Guild, Hampton Ministers’ Conference, National Convention of Gospel Choirs & Choruses, etc.
Special skills, Knowledge or Training: Advanced level in piano, keyboard, Hammond organ, voice and/or choral conducting.
Physical Demands: The physical demands of this position, e.g. sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, carrying lightweight books and papers, etc., are those that must be met by an employee to perform the duties of this job.
- Strong commitment to Jesus Christ and His Church
- At least one professional degree and/or certification within the field of music
- A minimum of 4 years of successful experience administering worship and music in a church context.
- Understanding and appreciation for blended worship styles that include anthems, hymns, spirituals traditional and contemporary gospel which is theologically grounded and biblically informed.
- Leadership experience with church or religious organizations
- Administrative skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Basic Computer skills
- Provide professional and pastoral references.
All employee are subject to pre-screening and background check.