Director of Discipleship & Connection
St. Paul United Methodist Church
2000 Douglass Blvd. Louisville, KY 40205
St. Paul United Methodist Church is seeking a Director of Discipleship & Connection. The full-time Director will have a passion for working with adults of all ages, and the congregation at-large to embody the mission of St. Paul UMC as a place where Christians “engage head, heart, and hands in love of God and others.” Through discipleship and relational ministries such as: small and large discipleship opportunities, new member connection, and social events, the Director of Discipleship & Connection will develop, schedule, and supervise the full range of ministries related to adult discipleship and connection.
Essential Functions of the position
- Design, implement, and continue to build upon existing discipleship opportunities that integrate relationship building, worship, and spiritual formation.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and oversee learning, fellowship, and connection opportunities, including Wesley Wednesday Night dinner and studies.
- Design and coordinate a plan for intentional discipleship formation, including worship guest follow-up and new member class/process.
- Develop and train leaders who wish to participate in the planning and execution of discipleship and connection ministries.
- Collaborate with church staff and key lay leaders to integrate the discipleship and connection ministries with the overall life of the church.
- Maintain adequate and appropriate communication with congregation and community regarding discipleship and connection ministries and opportunities. Communicate with the congregation and community via church media (i.e. bulletin, website, The Tower, etc.) and other avenues. Use social media and technology effectively and appropriately.
- Supervise the Director of Children’s and Family Ministries, Director of Youth Ministries, Director of Spiritual Formation.
- Collaborate with Discipleship Ministry Team, Hospitality Team, and Senior Adult Team. Oversee team budgets.
- May be asked to assist with hospital visits and worship planning/leading, in accordance with calling, gifts, and passions.
Core Competencies of the position
Ministry planning: Demonstrate abilities to plan and coordinate diverse ministry opportunities including: small group studies, large group gatherings, retreats, and fellowship and social events. Express a vision for the discipleship ministries. Work to bring others alongside the vision, and maintain a commitment of striving towards the vision.
Teaching: Design effective lesson plans, and facilitate learning experiences in both small and large group setting. Select teaching topics that are relevant, and contribute to a deeper understanding of scripture, theology, and spiritual practice.
Hospitality and Connection: Generate a sense of hospitality and accessibility by his or her very presence. Communicate a sense of availability, warmth, openness and approachability. Foster natural connections between members of the congregation and guests. Support a culture of welcoming and connection in the life of the congregation.
Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others. Practice direct, honest, and transparent communication. Keep confidences. Admit mistakes. Operate with no hidden agendas. Respond to situations with constancy and reliability.
Creativity and Innovation: Generates new ideas. Make new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches. Take acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation. Learns from mistakes. Use good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
Leadership Development: Encourage others to discover and engage their giftedness and skills in service to the larger community. Support others in the development of their skills and abilities. Actively seek to engage others more directly in the leadership life of the congregation. Think strategically about the continual need for a next generation of leaders, and work to build leadership capacity.
Interpersonal Skills & Volunteer Management: Demonstrate enthusiasm and initiative when ministering with the congregation. Possess the ability to identify and solve problems, handle conflict, and engage in honest conversation. Work well with church staff, congregation members, and volunteers. Provide direction, gain commitment, facilitate change, and achieve results through the efficient, creative, and responsible use of volunteers.
Communication Skills: Possess the ability to express thoughts and feelings clearly, openly, authentically, and theologically. Demonstrate communication styles appropriate to the situation at hand. Adjust the message, without losing it’s essence, depending on the circumstances and listener.
Administrative Skills: Understands basic budgeting and planning. Willing to oversee several ministry budgets. Familiar with and adhere to Safe Sanctuaries policies. Amenable to supervision.
Goals of the position
St. Paul UMC understands that this job description provides the essential functions and core competencies of the Director of Discipleship & Connection. This document does not offer an exact list of events, schedule, and programs for the Director to maintain. Instead, the Director – in conversation with the St. Paul church staff and ministry teams – will establish specific plans for ministries, events, programs, and goals.
A successful candidate will have:
- Passion for walking alongside and developing the faith of persons of all spiritual maturity levels
- Vision for the growth of faith, hospitality, and connection ministries
- Bachelor’s degree required; Religious studies or further theological education preferred
- Ordination in the UMC not required, but Commissioned or Ordained Deacons in the UMC may be given preference
- 5+ years of experience in leading and/or working in the areas of discipleship, hospitality, and connection/welcome ministries
- Follow the same spiritual and moral standards set for pastors in The United Methodist Church.
Report: Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, and S/PRC
Hours/Salary: Full-time exempt position; 40 hours per week; salary commensurate with experience
Benefits available: Health Insurance, Pension, Vision and/or Dental Insurance
Office Space: Office space with computer provided.
Job Posting Dates: June 16 – July 18, 2014. After review and interview, job start date is flexible.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to Rev. David Garvin via email/postal mail:
Rev. David S. Garvin
St. Paul United Methodist Church
2000 Douglass Blvd.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Music MinistriesHoly Trinity Lutheran Church
- Gastonia, North Carolina
- January 23
Pastor of Family MinistriesEcclesia Hollywood
- Hollywood, California
- January 22
Kids Ministry Leader (Pastor)Private Profile
- Hayward, California
- January 22
Director of Christian Education for Children, Youth and FamiliesSpring Valley Presbyterian Church
- Columbia, South Carolina
- January 21
Next Steps PastorBeach Church
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- January 19