Scripture paints the picture of pastoral ministry as a tenacious, undistracted focus on prayer and the Word (Acts 6:4). Out of this focus flow 6 key priorities:
- Equipping the congregation for ministry - Ephesians 4:11-12
- Preaching the Word - 2 Timothy 4:2
- Training for spiritual maturity - Colossians 1:28-29
- Training leaders - 2 Timothy 2:2
- Protecting the church from heresy - Acts 20:28
- Participating in leadership - 1 Timothy 5:17
Reports to: Leadership Council
We envision the Senior Pastor living out the 6 Biblical Priorities through the following Ministry Activities.
Equipping the congregation for ministry
- Pray and promote prayer as a primary priority
- Promote corporate worship and Discipleship Groups as the core ministries of the church
- Lead a Discipleship Group
- Oversee the planning of corporate worship services
- Engage in regular study beyond sermon preparation in order to function as a curator of knowledge and information, able to recommend resources on the wide variety of ministry, theological, and Christian life issues faced by members of the congregation
Preaching the Word
- Devote adequate time to study and sermon preparation
- Serve as the primary preacher (75% of Sundays)
- Train the Apprentice Pastor and others to preach the Word
- Engage in ongoing learning and development as a preacher
Training for spiritual maturity
- Work with the Leadership Council, Discipleship Group Coaches, and staff to identify maturity gaps in the congregation
- Empower Discipleship Groups to create opportunities where congregational members can grow their faith, increase their ability to surrender to the Lord, love others sacrificially, and reproduce disciples
- Meet regularly with Apprentice Pastor for mentoring and training
- Continue process of training new Discipleship Group Leaders
- Coach Discipleship Group Leaders and recruit, equip, and oversee other coaches to do the same
- Develop process for training Discipleship Coaches
- Create opportunities for ongoing training of Leadership Council and lay leaders
- Work in coordination with Leadership Council to mold Ministry Team meetings into opportunities for leadership training
Protecting the church from heresy
- Oversee, with the Leadership Council, all teaching and discipleship curricula
- Proactively scan cultural and religious trends for areas of concern
- Provide resources to combat heresy and damaging teaching as necessary
- Confront, in coordination with Leadership Council, false teaching if necessary
Participating in leadership
- Invest time in studying, researching, and dreaming about the future of West Center
- Lead annual Leadership Retreat
- Teams with Leadership Council for Church vision casting
- Oversee day-to-day ministries of the staff
- Conduct weddings and funerals as able or delegate as needed
- Participate in Leadership Council meetings, providing training, resources, and ideas as needed
- Develop relationships with other pastors for fellowship and encouragement
- Participate in the Great Plains Association, NABC Triennial and other denominational meetings as able
Applicants should submite their resume and/or ministry profile to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(For our complete profile, please visit www.westcenterbaptist.com/contact/pastorsearch.)
West Center Baptist Church
322 W. Center St.
Madison, SD 57042
Membership: 371 Members / 123 Active
Attendance: Average was 174 at the end of May 2014
Services: One service on Sunday mornings.
Church Programs: Sunday school for all ages; youth and Awana on Wednesday evening; Several Bible studies at various times; Discipleship training groups.
Ministry Direction and Philosophy of the Church
Core Value: To build healthy disciples of Jesus Christ that impact their world.
Discipleship Process: The process of discipleship involves joining God as he makes us more like Jesus. The primary tools God uses in our lives are:
- His people
- His Word
- His Spirit
As a more mature disciple shares their life with us, we begin to catch a vision for what being a disciple looks like. As we saturate ourselves in God’s Word the Holy Spirit grows our faith in Him. As our faith grows, we begin to imitate the lives of Jesus and mature disciples, taking baby steps in witness, obedience, and love for others. As we see God come through for us, our faith is strengthened even more, motivating us to grow closer in relationship, deeper in God’s Word, and relying more completely on God’s Spirit. We then take larger steps of faith in each area of our lives. This process becomes a virtuous cycle leading to ever increasing faith, maturity, and unity.
Children and Youth: Adults:
AGE: 0-5 6-10 11-18 19-30 31-45 46-60 61+
41% 25% 34% 6% 33% 26% 35%
Blue collar White collar
Average Weekly Attendance by Year:
2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
238 217 201 183 174 161
Strengths – West Center Baptist Church stands firmly on the inerrancy of God’s Word, training pastors, leaders, and members through discipleship. We are a fiscally responsible and generous church, eager to serve our body and meet the needs of our community. We strive to build Christ-like relationships through our missions, children’s, women’s, and other ministries, which reach many members of our congregation and community.
Areas of Growth – Through the ReFocus process, West Center Baptist Church has identified areas in which we can grow, the main goal being to shift from being “me-first” to “Christ-first.” We are seeking to further develop our discipleship process and teach our members how to study God’s Word as individuals. We desire to facilitate Spirit-led participation of members in discipleship, identifying and utilizing spiritual gifts.
Theology - We support the West Center Baptist Church Statement of Faith and abide by The Covenant and Constitution of West Center Baptist Church which belongs to the North American Baptist Conference. (http://westcenterbaptist.com/resources/downloads/)
What we would like to see in a Pastor
- Has a heart and proven track record for developing leaders
- Pastoral experience working with and leading multiple staff
- Demonstrating success in building disciples through relationships rather than events and programs
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to personally connect with the wider congregation while cultivating deeper relationships with some
- Whole-heartedly agrees with the Doctrinal Statement of West Center and is committed to expository preaching
- Committed to maintaining personal time alone with God
- Able and excited to help us continue implementing the priorities resulting from our recent vision and refocusing process
- Teachable team player who is willing to engage in mutual accountability
- History of making disciples who in turn make disciples who make disciples
Desired Educational Level
Seminary or Biblical Degree Required
Previous Pastoral Experience Required
Senior Pastor Benefit Package
- Benefit package ranges from $60,000 to $70,000 annually DOE/Q and includes:
- Annual Salary
- Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Housing Allowance/Parsonage or salary Equivalent
To be paid by the church
- Up to $3,000.00 (shared annually with staff) is available for mileage.
- Up to $1,000.00 (shared annually with staff) is available for books for personal library.
- Up to $3,000.00 (shared annually with staff) is available for continuing education, tuition & registrations.
- Up to $400.00 (shared annually with staff) hospitality account is available for staff.
- Up $100.00/month cell phone reimbursement paid to employee.
- 3 weeks (15 working days = 3 Sundays +12 days) of paid vacation.
- Paid couple or family membership to the Madison Community Center.
Whether you are looking for the perfect summer vacation get-away or are coming to visit Dakota State University, the Madison community has a small-town atmosphere (population 6,800) but is large on attractions. You will find plenty to do at one of our beautiful lakes, historic Prairie Village or at one of our many other attractions. Lake Herman State Park and The Community Center provide outdoor and indoor recreation options. The Dakota Prairie Playhouse and the Smith-Zimmerman Museum provide cultural opportunities, and there are a wide variety of local businesses for a great shopping experience.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Senior PastorBethel Baptist Church
- Newell, Iowa
- December 4
Senior PastorPrivate Profile
- Gallatin, Missouri
- December 1
"Gang Church" Lead PastorInFaith
- Fresno, California
- December 1
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- December 1
Senior PastorCollege Baptist Church
- Hillsdale, Michigan
- November 30
West Center Baptist Church
After going through a congregational ReFocus journey, West Center Baptist Church in Madison, SD is seeking a Senior Pastor to preach the Word, train the congregation for spiritual maturity, and to help lead and strengthen our discipleship ministry. More...