The Executive Director of Ministry (EDM) works closely with the Pastor / Head of Staff and is the "Chief Operating Officer" of the church. As an integral part of the church leadership team, the EDM is responsible for assisting the pastoral, program, administrative,
and support staffs in implementing the mission of Lake Grove Presbyterian Church (LGPC) as approved by the Session. The EDM manages the overall day-to-day operations of the church and provides direction and leadership for strategic planning efforts, includng
the formation, alignment, and implementation of agreed upon plans.
A key focus of the EDM is to enable the Pastor / Head of Staff to be the pastor the Lord and the church has called to serve this flock. The EDM allows the Pastor / Head of Staff to give more time to the primary ministry functions of preaching, teaching,
spiritual leadership, and pastoral relationship.
Another important dimension of the EDM is to work closely with the Session and the Board of Trustees. The EDM is the liaison between church staff and the Board of Trustees.
OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In conjunction with the Pastor / Head of Staff and Session, facilitate the development and maintenance of the church's mission and strategic plan.
- Management and oversight of Church financial matters, including overall budget responsibility, financial analysis and reporting, and the development and maintenance of financial policies and controls. With Pastor / Head of Staff, responsible for annual
- Responsible with the Pastor / Head of Staff for human resource activities and policies including staffing, performance management, compensation, benefits administration, training, compliance, and organizational structure.
- Direct supervisory responsibility for church Financial Secretary and facilities employees. Indirectly supports the leadership of other office staff.
- Operational management, including safety and risk management, facilities and equipment maintenance and repair, system functionality, and information technology.
- Additional responsibilities include project management, meeting management, and the support of congregational communications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A mature individual with signficant experience managing complex and changing organizational situations.
- Demonstrated experience in finance and budget management, strategic planning, human resource
management, accounting, contract law, applicable business law, and fundraising.
- A proven track record working with people to produce desired results.
- A demonstrated mature and growing faith in Jesus Christ and a calling to this ministry at Lake Grove Presbyterian Church.
- Demonstrated experience (voluntary and/or professional) in Christian ministries in a church environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a consummate listener with a strong relationship-building mindset.
- A commitment to mission and to deepening local, national, and international mission partnerships of the church.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, sensitivity, and experience in developing strategic plans.
- Strong reasoning, communication, and presentation skills in diverse speaking settings.
- Moderate to advanced computer skills (Microsoft Suite and some database management software) to facilitate financial analysis, metric development, and decision-making.
- An independent work style that functions without administrative support. Specifically, the EDM is expected to use technology to personally manage his or her correspondence, telephone calls, meetings, databases, expense reports, etc.
- Good writing skills and some organizational design experience helpful.
- Lastly, a servant heart that is obvious to staff and church members.
The EDM position is defined as a regular, full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position. A typical work week includes four days during the week and Sundays. Some evening and weekend work is required. Essentially no travel is required.
Compensation is negotiable, but will be competitive with similar work in the Portland area. In accordance with church policies, benefits include church-paid medical insurace for the employee, employee-paid medical insurance for other familiy members, employee-paid
dental insurance, pension contributions, paid vacation, paid holidays, "flex" benefit programs, long-term disability insurance, and other benefits as outlined in the church's Employee Handbook.
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter and your resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about Lake Grove Presbyterian Church, please visit
Lake Grove Presbyterian Church is located in Lake Oswego, OR, a suburb of Portland.