Gathering of Men (Nonprofit)
Executive Director Position Description
About the Gathering of Men
The Gathering of Men (GoM) is a ministry focused on building men for Christ in the Tidewater area of Virginia.
Its mission is to help men become fully devoted followers of Christ through training, small groups and leadership development.
In the 22 years since the ministry’s founding in 1992, more than 125,000 men have participated in GoM events.
It has an annual budget of approximately $150,000.
The GoM works with local churches to help them build strong discipleship ministries with their men.
The ministry developed and regularly conducts the following training events:
· Avoiding Life’s Landmines
· Discipleship: The Life You’ve Always Wanted.
· How to Lead a Vibrant Small Group
The GoM also works with Man in the Mirror Ministry to conduct
No Man Left Behind, Success that Matters, and Dads that Make a Difference
training. This year the ministry will launch Radical Mentoring, designed to reach men in the workplace and train them how to be men who vibrantly live out their faith 24/7.
The Executive Director (ED) is the Chief Executive Officer of the GoM Ministry.
He has overall strategic and operational responsibility for Gathering of Men’s staff, programs, growth, and execution of its mission. He develops and maintains core programs, operations, and business plans.
The ED reports to the GoM Board of Directors (BoD).
Leadership and Management:
· Provide leadership in developing program, organizational, and financial plans with the BoD and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the BoD.
· Actively engage and energize volunteers, BoD members, event committees, churches, partnering organizations, and supporters.
· Ensure programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, and communications systems.
· Implement/maintain effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components to measure success; effectively communicate program status to the
BoD, supporters, and other constituents.
· Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
· Maintain a strong relationship with the BoD; serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build BoD involvement with strategic direction for ongoing local operations.
· Responsible for hiring, supervision, effectiveness, and dismissal of all staff.
Fundraising and Communications:
· Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional growth.
· Expand and refine all aspects of communications – from web presence to external relations – with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
· Publicize the activities of the GoM organization, its programs, goals, and successes to garner new opportunities.
· Develop a strong working knowledge of social media and its use.
Maintaining, Planning and Development of Ministries:
· Design and complete the strategic business planning process for program growth.
· Build partnerships with churches and the business community, establishing relationships with supporters, and political and community leaders.
· Provide an external local and regional presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on program successes.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the Gathering of Men mission.
The successful candidate should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
In addition, he should have:
· A strong relationship with Christ, exemplifying spiritual maturity.
· A working knowledge of the Bible.
· Leadership experience working with men’s ministries and/or enhancing the spiritual growth of men.
· The ability to work in a non-denominational environment with men from various theological backgrounds and lead them in focusing on the truth of Jesus Christ and not
their denominational and theological backgrounds.
· An undergraduate degree or an advanced degree with at least 5 years of senior management experience and a track record of effectively leading a non-profit organization.
· Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage
· Past success working with a Board of Directors and the ability to cultivate BoD member relationships.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Should be a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
· The ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
· Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
· An action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to ministry planning.
· A strong understanding of how to use social media to expand the ministry, and a vision for its use.
· Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
· Passion, idealism, integrity, and a positive attitude.
Must be mission-driven, and self-directed.