Job Description for the
Children and Family Ministries Coordinator
Bristol United Methodist Church
Develop, oversee, and lead the children's ministry program for the Bristol United Methodist Church. Coordinate ministries for children from birth to 6th grade. Be attentive to the hopes, concerns, and needs of families and communicate them to the church.
Core Beliefs Related to this Position
Bristol United Methodist Church is committed to reaching people for Jesus Christ. Included in this commitment is a strong desire to reach people while they are still young. We believe strongly in the following as ministry foundations for this position:
*The Bible is the written Word of God and vital for all life and ministry.
*What happens at home is far more influential than what happens solely at church. Parents are the primary educators of their children and so we must empower them and partner with them in reaching their children.
*The most receptive time to reach a human being with the Gospel is while they are young.
*We believe strongly in partnering with other churches to build the kingdom of God.
*The church is Christ's bride. It is an honor to serve, lead, and protect the
Responsibilities and Expected Duties
1. Be attentive to the hopes, concerns, and needs of families; determine how the Church might serve one another as disciples of Christ to meet those needs.
2. Coordinate the weekly planning, leading, and directing of a ministry program that will effectively disciple children during Sunday morning and Wednesday evening children's ministry activities.
3. Direct a volunteer staff, meeting with these leaders regularly in order that they may be resourced for ministry and developed in their faith and leadership abilities.
4. Recruit, train and support the nursery coordinator. The nursery coordinator will then schedule and staff nursery for all worship services and worship related meetings.
5. Coordinate Vacation Bible School in partnership with the Youth Director, and possibly with other community churches.
6. Develop, maintain, and communicate calendar of events. Publicize as necessary.
7. Attend worship.
8. Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly Church Council in order to coordinate with the Senior Pastor and other programs.
9. Study and attend training events in order to keep current and hone skills at least annually. Report to congregation accordingly.
10. Review and set goals annually with the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
11. Participate in the development of the yearly budget and work within that budget.
12. Support and uphold mission and vision of the Bristol United Methodist Church.
This position requires a person with experience and/or evidence of strong leadership gifts, as well as, evangelism, discipleship, wisdom, administration, and shepherding among many others. Sincere interest in communicating with and encouraging families
is also very important.
How To Know If You Are Doing Well
1. People, especially children in this congregation and community, are growing in faith as Christian disciples.
2. Your team of volunteers is strong, healthy, unified and committed to the mission.
3. Families are taking responsibility for the discipleship of their children.
4. Children are excited and looking forward to coming to programs.
Hours: 40 hours a week
Salary: Competitive with comparable positions
Vacation: 1 year = 1 week; 2 years = 2 weeks; 10 years = 3 weeks
Reasonable business travel and approved expenses will be paid.
Bristol United Methodist Church has had a presence in Bristol for over 170 years yet we realize that ministry is done with an eye towards the future while appreciating the heritage of the past. We have a beautiful modern building with exceptional children
and youth facilities. We are a church that has a strong focus on strengthening families and working together to build the next generation. We are Evangelical at the core and believe that the Bride of Christ is represented by all denominations; therefore, we
have a long history of working together with other churches in the community to accomplish community ministry goals. We are a wonderful family church with loving people who are passionate about their faith and seeing others come to Christ.
Bristol is a beautiful river town located on the St. Joe River 6 miles east of Elkhart, Indiana and 20 miles east of South Bend. Bristol is located in Elkhart County, the world headquarters of the Recreational Vehicle Industry and the Band Instrument Industry.
Elkhart County and neighboring Lagrange County is also home to the 3rd largest Amish settlement in the world. Ours is a charming community with great schools and conservative values.
Please email cover letter and resume to: