The Eastside Jr. High Internship Program is meant to complement a ministry students’ (undergraduate, or graduate), class experience with skill development, professional coaching, discussion based training, and hands-on experience to develop a holistic church ministry perspective and prepare them for a successful, long-term, ministry career.
What we’re looking for
We are currently accepting applications for six compensated Jr. High internships. We are looking for men and woman, (three of each) who are fun, outgoing, love Jesus, love students, have a passion to help others find God and want to be a part of our dynamic and growing ministry! (See “application requirements”)
The Internship Experience
Discussion Based Training
To develop a holistic perspective on church ministry, Eighteen Eastside department heads will be joining us throughout the internship for discussion-based training on their role in the church. They will highlight the most important things they do week to week at Eastside, and how they do it. (Examples Include: Executive Leadership, Youth Ministry, Communications, Volunteer Care, and more.)
Practical Skill Development
Eighteen different leadership, ministry and personal skill concepts will be identified, trained and practiced, utilizing team experience and discussion, coach training, and occasional guest lecturers. Ministry based projects will be assigned and reviewed, based on these skill concepts. (Examples include: Leading a staff, Marketing, Teaching, and more)
Interns will directly work with and be coached by our Jr. High director, Norm Hamre, who has been on staff at Eastside since 2004 and has over 18 years experience working with J.H and H.S. students. He received his BA in church ministry from Hope International University. (Coaching will include: Weekly training meetings, Hip-to-hip weekend ministry, Monthly one on one’s, etc.)
Hands on experience
- Authority over a grade/gender set of students and leaders
- Recruitment and care of volunteer leaders
- Relational ministry and counseling with students
- Planning and executing grade/gender events
- Assisting with crafting and implementing youth services
- Teaching/Preaching (on rotation)
- Leading games (on rotation)
- Hosting / Announcements (on rotation)
- Leading guest experience teams (on rotation)
- Monthly ministry events
- Quarterly Team Day-Trips
- Annual Mexico Mission Trip
- Catalyst West Conference
4 Book Reviews
- The group will choose four books to read throughout the internship.
- Book reviews will take place on quarterly team day-trips.
Full Staff Integration
- Access to full staff, meetings, campus, and technology
- Training on seven different technology platforms
- Eastside email address
- Coach: Jr. High Director
- Admin: Jr. High Admin
- Instructors: ECC Staff
- Spiritual Advisor: Your choice
A 10 Month Program (Approx. 38 weeks)
- Program Begins: Aug 12
- Thanksgiving Break: Nov 24-Dec 1
- Winter Break: Dec 25-Jan 8
- Spring Break: April 6-13
- Program Completion: May 31st
A Twenty-Hour Weekly Pace
- Tuesday training and planning: 4 hours (9a to 1p)
- Sat Evening Program 3.5 hours (3p-6:30p)
- Sunday Morning Program 4.5 hours (8:30a-1p)
- Flexible schedule: 8 hours
- (Note to BIOLA students: To accommodate your standard or GOLD internship requirements, the Fall semester will include an additional 8 flex hours per week.)
- A free Disneyland & California Adventure Annual Pass (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes)
- A free trip to the Catalyst West Conference (https://catalystconference.com/westcoast/)
- A free Mexico Mission trip
- $2500 College Scholarship. ($1250 paid out to your college prior to each semester)
Awards upon completion
- Certificate of Achievement.
- Help with resume building.
- Proactive referrals to partner churches.
- (Awards contingent upon: Excellent Attendance, Active Engagement, Quality project completion)
An ideal candidate would be a man or woman who feels that God is leading them into full time youth ministry, and is pursuing a ministry degree major at a local Christian college. This person would also be currently serving with a Jr. High or High School ministry and will have some preaching and teaching experience/giftedness in that environment. We highly value individuals who are self-starters, quick learners, love a challenge; have a heart to serve, a positive attitude, flexibility, sense of humor, and an ability to work within a team environment.
Minimum Requirements For Applicants
- A growing follower of Jesus for at least two years.
- High School Graduate
- At least one year experience volunteering in youth ministry
- A team player who likes fun and possesses a genuine love for youth
- Must be able to provide own laptop that is wi-fi capable, and meets min. requirements to run Microsoft Office products.
- Willingness to adhere to ECC staff guidelines, values and expectations
The Application Process
- June 10th – Applications Due
- June 24th – Phone and Skype Interviews Complete
- July 1st – Final Assessments Complete
- Aug 12th - Internship Begins
To apply, or for answers to questions, please contact Norm Hamre at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Pastor, Adult Groups - Reservoir CampusPinelake Church
- Brandon, Mississippi
- January 16
Pastor, Adult Groups - Madison CampusPinelake Church
- Madison, Mississippi
- January 16
Director of Music MinistriesVenice Presbyterian Church
- Venice, Florida
- January 16
Events Project ManagerFreedom House Church
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- January 14
St. Mark's Lutheran Church - Director of High School Ministries/Worship LeaderVanderbloemen Search Group
- Cedar Rapids/Marion, Iowa
- January 13
Eastside Christian Church
Eastside is known for great music, dedicated youth programs, innovative “extras” and a heart to transform our local community and the world. We’re a mix of ages and ethnicities at different places on our spiritual journeys, a community of faith committed to pursue God together, connect in meaningful ways, and unleash compassion both locally and globally. More...