Summary: From the moment a child is born, we have the privilege to introduce him/her to God’s wonderful world and begin inspiring him/her to live a Christian life. At the United Methodist Church of Macedonia, inspiring children is an important step of achieving our church mission of making disciples of all people. As part of our mission it is vital to have a strong Children’s Ministry program to attract and grow disciples.
The Children’s Ministry Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to:
· Coordinate and oversee all programming and ministry for children ages birth through 6thgrade. · Align programming to our mission (to inspire children to live Christian lives) and use the core values to direct decisions (act in a child centered manner, provide a safe environment, teach a Bible based curriculum, help children with building their relationship with God, guide children in their spiritual growth, create an engaging environment, supply loving, caring teachers & helpers).
· Continually improve and expand the Children’s Ministry program so others perceive the church as being kid friendly and having quality activities, classes and events.
Preferred: College Degree in a related field such as Christian Education, Christian Ministry, Theology, or Religious Studies.
Required: High School Graduate with some college courses.
Preferred: 3 to 5 years experience working in a church environment in Sunday School, Christian Education Program, Vacation Bible School or other relevant programs.
Required: 1 to 3 years experience working in a church environment in Sunday School, Christian Education Program, Vacation Bible School or other similar programs.
Candidate will demonstrate:
- A strong and growing personal commitment to Christ as evidenced by action, attitude and behavior;
- Possesses the passion to share the life of Jesus and inspire children to live Christian lives;
- The skills to teach, guide, and nurture children in their spiritual development;
- Commit to and work under the ministry, doctrine, policy, and traditions of the United Methodist Church;
- The initiative and ability to work independently;
- Strong interpersonal skills that build healthy relationships and fosters team work;
- Has an outgoing personality with an enthusiastic spirit that motivates others
- Organization skills with the flexibility to adapt to growth and change;
- A strong work history that illustrates a successful and reliable work ethic;
- Desire to received feedback from supervisors that will lead to continual improvement;
This job description includes a list of typical responsibilities for this job classification. Other responsibilities may be added when deemed necessary.
- Provide opportunities for spiritual growth for children
- Establish standards for each age group (infants, toddlers, preschoolers, early, mid & late elementary) for spiritual development and growth under the direction of the Christian Education Department and Senior Pastor;
- Coordinate routine programming for spiritual growth (i.e., nursery, Sunday School, weekday and evening programs, VBS, celebrations);
- Create an atmosphere and activities that will facilitate learning and encourage spiritual growth for each age group;
- Develop opportunities to involve the children in the congregation worship service.
- Implement effective communication methods to insure that church families members, the staff and parish committees, congregation, and community are aware of Children’s Ministry activities, including:
- Maintain resources about the children ministry programs (pamphlet, church website, etc.);
- Use new methods of communication that insures the information is available to the target audience;
- Establish routine follow up to new attendees and absent children that encourages participation.
- Insure the environment and programs are safe for children
- Manage the recruiting, interviewing and training of volunteers to ensure there is adequate trained supervision for all activities;
- Ensure that volunteers are screened for safe background history in accordance with the church’s policy.
- Conduct periodic checks to ensure safety processes are being followed and the physical environment is free from potential safety risks.
- Create a warm and loving atmosphere similar to that modeled by Jesus, including:
- Continually monitor and improve the atmosphere so it is appealing and welcoming to all;
- Work to involve and welcome new children, families and members;
- Provide attention and care to those children and families who are experiencing life struggles; and
- Encourage volunteers to display a genuine cheerful, caring attitude.
- Ensure that quality programs that are engaging for the children are being presented by volunteers by evaluating programs on an ongoing basis;
- Gather input from families and volunteers on programming for continuous improvement;
- Continuously seek new ideas to re-energize programming; and
- Provide learning opportunities and resource materials to volunteers that will improve the overall engaging effectiveness.
- Establish methods to grow the Children Ministry program
- Maintain an adequate system of records regarding children’s programs and participants;
- Regularly monitor data and trends within the church and other area churches;
- Identify how to reach new families in the area;
- Actively recruit new participants and volunteers;
- Work with the staff and volunteers to envision new programs and
- Develop relationships with outside organizations that prospective participants participate.
- Must be able to work under established budget and purchasing guidelines as established by Finance Committee and Senior Pastor.
- Maintain a system for personal growth
- Participate in a personal spiritual growth plan which is routinely reviewed and includes Bible reading and engaging with others in Christian learning.
- Continually pursue new knowledge to learn new, effective Biblically–sound, children centered skills and strategies under the direction of the Senior Pastor.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children's Ministry DirectorMt. Olive UMC
- marion, Indiana
- January 16
Children's Ministry DirectorKempsville Presbyterian Church
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- January 16
Youth Pastor/DirectorChrist Community Fellowship
- Walla Walla, Washington
- January 15
Children's DirectorGreater Mt Zion Baptist Church
- Austin, Texas
- January 13
Director of Family MinistriesMinistry Architects
- Shreveport, Louisiana
- January 13
United Methodist Church of Macedonia
Our mission: To make and mature disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. (Mat 28.19) Our Vision: 1,500 in worship by 2015 Our Strategy: To be witnesses (Acts 1:8) Core Values: Kingdom power. Everyday lives. Love Redefined. More...