Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For Staff jobs please apply directly at apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The Executive Pastor’s responsibilities fit into three main categories; (1) Supporting and implementing the mission, vision, and structure of the Campus Pastors Office (2) Overall operational leadership (3) Staff and project management oversight. This role is a direct support to the Lead Campus Pastor, focused on executing directives and maintaining effectiveness for day to day operations that will sustain and grow the overall spiritual formation vision and mission of the Campus Pastors Office.
- Master’s Degree: M.Div. or an M.A. in Theology/Ministry or a Masters in Business Administration (with significant ministry experience).
- D.Min. or Ph.D. desired, but not required if work experience is significant.
- Licensed or Ordained Pastor desired, but not required if working in a ministry context is significant.
- 7 + years experience in executive pastoral ministry within a large context of church, university setting, or a parachurch / nonprofit organization.
- Direct experience or management-level understanding of pastoral care, counseling, crisis intervention, evangelism, discipleship disciplines, and worship venues of 500 people or more.
- Youth and/or college-age competencies required.
- Significant leadership responsibilities working with and managing a successful large staff structure.
- Biblical/theological training, including intercultural competencies that can inform and shape all functions of the role.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
A. Support and implement the mission, vision, and structure of the Campus Pastors Office
- Attend weekly strategic meetings with the Lead Campus Pastor to accomplish overall departmental strategic planning and implementation.
- Function as a key support to the Lead Campus Pastor
- Comprehend the details of each area of the Campus Pastors Office while shaping the overall efficiency of the larger unit with a spirit willing to do even the smallest task if needed for the overall success of the team.
- Manage the intake of materials and deadlines around departmental reviews, board reports, assessments, and benchmarks.
- Coordinate with the other directors/pastors to create cohesive responses that represent the office.
- Collaborate with the Student Life Administrative Team and all Student Life Offices in order to help bring clarity around roles and partnerships in conjunction with the Lead Campus Pastor.
- When directed by the Lead Campus Pastor, represent the office on key Student Life and Academic committees.
- Attend bi-weekly Campus Pastoral Staff meetings and Student Life In-Service trainings.
- Participate in chapel services as needed.
B. Overall Operational Leadership
- Lead and work with an overall spirit that promotes clear communication, trust, and creates cohesiveness.
- Plan and moderate, in conjunction with the Lead Campus Pastor, the weekly Pastoral Team Meeting.
- Plan and facilitate the larger “all staff” bi-monthly meeting.
- Meet quarterly with each of the five director/pastors concerning their budgets to increase efficiency and collaboration related to overall mission and vision.
- Manage overall work flow, calendaring, vacation request, office coverage, and pastoral coverage in chapel, and manage all mid-semester adjustments in conjunction with the Lead Campus Pastor.
- Review all job descriptions yearly to have clarity on roles and expectations within our area of influence and within the larger university.
- Works with each director/pastor on employment development strategies, hiring, and working with APU’s Human Resources Department.
- Oversee recruitment, training, and evaluation of all staff; evaluate senior leaders in conjunction with the Lead Pastor.
- Provide increased emphasis and management-level coordination for discipleship and pastoral care as a cross functioning unit for efficiency and growth.
- Oversee bi weekly meeting with the Associate Pastor of Discipleship Ministries and the Associate Pastor of Pastoral Community Care. Focus efforts towards increased training, resourcing, and support for faculty and staff to become discipleship/spiritual mentor leaders and community care givers.
- Organize with pastoral team a comprehensive plan for SALT’s reputation, advertisement, training, and functioning throughout the year (Student Leadership in Campus Pastors Office).
- Collaborate with Residence Life, Counseling Center, Health Center, and any other offices that might help create better care for students.
- Collaborate and help lead with campus pastors, faculty, staff, and administrators in any large scale crisis.
C. Staff and Project Management Oversight
- Work with the Lead Campus Pastor on budget strategies, priorities and system enhancements.
- Strategic budget planning with multiple department budgets managed by other director/pastors.
- Responsible for approving each pastor/director’s monthly expenses.
- Responsible for approving time cards for hourly employees.
- Analyze operations to evaluate overall performance/effectiveness of each area in order to suggest program improvement and/or policy change.
- Assure proper staffing levels in key events.
- Coordinate “All Access” preview weekend assignments.
- Performs other responsibilities related to job description as assigned by supervisor.
Skills and Passions
- Passion for students, vision and commitment to help intentionally develop the spiritual climate of the campus.
- Knowledge of theory and practice in the field of spiritual care and pastoral counseling, Biblical interpretation, and Christian theology.
- Excellent organizational, managerial, problem solving, oral and written communication skills.
- Self-awareness and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to encourage a range of spiritual and intellectual styles and develop leaders to minister to undergraduate students.
- Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder in an academic enterprise
- Ability to learn procedures, retain information, and present one’s self in a professional manner that reflects the goals and mission of APU.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- The ability to balance a variety of tasks and demands.
- Intermittent standing, sitting, and walking.
- Requires repetitive motion and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, bend to lower file drawers and reach to top of file cabinet.
- Ability to conduct business and attend meetings at other campus locations.
- Ability to climb stairs multiple times in a work day.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Keep regular hours in the office to be available for day to day operations and problem solving and available for non-traditional hours on occasion.
- Computer monitor and reading.
- Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
- Ability to use the computer with Windows and Microsoft products to complete tasks.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
For Staff jobs please apply directly at apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Executive Director of OperationsVictory Church
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- January 10
Faith Church - Executive Pastor of MinistriesVanderbloemen Search Group
- Sunset Hills, Missouri
- January 6
Campus PastorChurchology Staffing
- Allison Park , Pennsylvania
- January 3
Executive Director, ChristChurch PresbyterianChrist Church Presbyterian
- Atlanta, Georgia
- January 3
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- January 3
Azusa Pacific University
Azusa Pacific University is a Christian University nestled in the scenic San Gabriel Valley of Southern California—only minutes from the mountains and an hour from the ocean and the desert. Azusa Pacific University has much more than a beautiful campus and a great location. Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, APU is one of the leading evangelical Christian universities in the United States, offering more than 60 undergraduate areas of study, 26 master’s degrees, and 7 doctorates to more than 8,100 students. The univer More...