Director of Student Ministries
Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church
Full-time – 40 hours per week
Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church (GSPC) is looking for an experienced Director of Student Ministries to join us in the adventure of ministry. The person we seek will be a growing disciple of Jesus Christ with a sense of purposefulness, enthusiasm, and commitment to teamwork. We are looking for someone who has a passion for ministry to students and their parents.
The Director will join with the staff team (both paid and volunteer) in the ministry of the church, and will strive to help GSPC students and others Connect with God; Grow in Faith; and Serve in Love. The Director shall effectively work with pastors, Session, staff and volunteers to further the kingdom of Jesus Christ
A. Major Responsibilities:
The Director of Student Ministries will be a colleague in ministry who is accountable to the Session of GSPC through the Staff Support Team and supervised by the Associate Pastor of Congregational Care and Spiritual Growth.
B. Essential Functions:
- Be an effective team member providing vision, leadership and oversight to the Student Ministries department at GSPC.
- To continuously improve, develop, and administer programs and curriculum specific to youth including regular junior and senior high meetings.
- To oversee a program specific to college-age individuals (approximately 18-25), such as a small group Bible study.
- To be responsible for special youth outreach including contact ministry, teaching, small groups and special events, including camps, retreats and service projects.
- To recruit, train, encourage and supervise volunteer team members to support and execute these programs.
- Seek to provide service opportunities for students to experience the love of God and the joy of serving others. Continue to encourage and expand the role of youth in Sunday worship services and in children’s ministry programs, such as Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.
- To continue to expand students’ worldview by exposing them to cultures other than their own. Examples: spring Mexico mission trip and summer Urban Plunge.
- To develop ways for reaching out to and inviting students in the community to GSPC’s programs.
- Work with Children’s Ministry Director to help transition children into Student Ministries through programs such as Wednesday night FLIPT.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with Student Ministries; Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong ability to articulate Biblical theology and translate this theology into meaningful practice, especially in ways that are appropriate for middle and high school students.
- Must be Computer and Technology proficient with Microsoft Office software, current social media and tools for communication, ability to use creative software programs preferred (e.g. Powerpoint)
- Proven ability to analyze, define problems, establish facts, and draw wise conclusion.
- Communication skills: Excellent use of the verbal and written English, ability to communicate effectively with students and parents, ability to respond to common inquiries and complaints from members of staff and congregation.
- Ability to effectively present information to students and parents, program staff, session, ministry teams, and the community.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize personal work and work teams, paid and volunteer.
- Self-starter, with the ability to follow through with minimal supervision.
- Physical Requirements: Requirements include the ability to sit at and use a computer and other office equipment, lift up to fifteen pounds occasionally and up to 25 pounds rarely, be able to sit, stand and walk to participate in meetings and presentations. The ability to climb up and down stairs. The physical ability to participate in youth activities.
- Posses a valid driver’s license, a reliable and insured vehicle with which, from time to time, you will transport people to and from off campus locations for ministry purposes.
- Demonstrated ability to reach out to un-churched people and introduce them to Christ, not simply with words but with actions.
D. Background & Hopes
- Good Shepherd has been fortunate to have a Director of Student Ministry who majored in Adolescent Studies and stayed current with emerging trends and studies related to students and their parents in the ministry context and beyond.
- This director introduced Good Shepherd to the Fuller Youth Institutes Sticky Faith program. This is an emphasis/philosophy we have begun to implement and would like to continue. It would be very helpful if our new Student Ministry Director had familiarity with this philosophy to ministry. More information about Sticky Faith can be found at http://stickyfaith.org/
- Good Shepherd is a multi-generational, family church located on the boarder of Orange and Los Angeles counties. The congregation is well-educated and middle to upper-middle class.
E. Instructions to Apply
- Please send cover sheet and resume and also include brief responses (no more than a paragraph or two) to the following questions:
1. What is your church background? In what denomination did you grow up or come to faith? Do you have any experience worshipping/working in churches with a Reformed/Presbyterian theology?
2. When a new president comes into office, that person often has ideas about what their first 100 days will look like. If hired at Good Shepherd, what would your plan for your first 100 days as Student Ministries Director look like?
3. What one or two books or authors have most influenced your approach to Student Ministry? Why?
4. Please state your philosophy of Student Ministry in five sentences or less.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Children and Youth MinistriesBeloit First Christian Church
- Beloit, Kansas
- January 23
Associate Pastor of Children and Youth MinistriesBeloit First Christian Church
- Beloit, Kansas
- January 23
Associate PastorPeace Lutheran Church
- Hazen, North Dakota
- January 22
Director of Christian Education for Children, Youth and FamiliesSpring Valley Presbyterian Church
- Columbia, South Carolina
- January 21
Student Pastor - 1766MinisterSearch
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- January 21