Why “Next Steps”?
The words “next steps” describe the mission you’ll have with us: to help people discover and take their next steps in their walk with God. You will be the key leader in developing, implementing, sustaining and perfecting our people and processes and systems to develop fruitful disciples of Jesus Christ in all our ministries.
You will be a champion of personal disciple-making, with first-hand experience in both making disciples and helping others do the same. This will come from your personal love and walk with God. You will take your experience and passion for making disciples and implement church-wide processes that prioritize people (we have no desire to simply make people busy. We want people be in love with Jesus). You will be a leader of leaders, a team player, a humble man, whose ministry is the overflow of your personal love-relationship with God.
Ministry Summary Over 230 people accepted Christ through our ministries last year alone! We need proven solutions and oversight by a true leader who champions discipleship so our new believers become mature replicators for Jesus Christ. Our Next Steps Pastor will help our people know what their next steps are with God by providing practical tools, resources and education. You will work in one-on-one and group settings. You will work with new believers and people who have been believers for a while, but have not been discipled. You will work with our leaders, helping them become “master” disciple-makers. Your role is summarized by the descriptive title we’ve given it. You will help our people discover and take their next steps in their spiritual journey. The role of the Next Steps Pastor is to lead the church in helping our people function as missionaries who evangelize and make disciples, and to ensure that our new believers are followed up with excellence, so they mature in Christ. Whereas managers maintain systems and teams, leaders inspire, train and grow teams and organizations. We need a proven leader who will take the initiative and help grow our church both in numbers and depth of intimacy with Jesus Christ. We need a proven leader who can motivate, equip and replicate disciples, helping people of various walks of life understand and take their next steps in their walk with God.
People must respect you, follow you, learn from you and replicate you and your walk with Jesus Christ. Our ministry leaders will need to know what their next steps are with the people under their care, helping them grow in God by following your clear guidance. You will develop and oversee people by developing and overseeing processes and systems designed to specifically advance the Great Commission through all the ministries of our church. You must have solid experience discipling someone from infancy in Christ to becoming a mature believer who could serve as a ministry leader, elder, or deacon, within the church, and an exemplary leader within their community. You will be entrusted with developing detailed plans for Scripture memorization for children, teens and adults, no matter where they may be in their walk with God. This would include Scriptures that deal with assurance of Salvation, victory in Christ, assurance of forgiveness, surrender, worship, Bible doctrine and more. You will be the leader of our leaders in this area, the go-to person for what the Bible says on various topics so people can become better disciples of Jesus Christ by knowing and applying His Word, the Bible. You will ensure that all our ministries are designed so that making disciples is the number one priority. You will lead our people so they know how to share the Gospel, and how to help others mature in their walk with Christ by providing tools, resources and training that help people grow and replicate in their walk with God. You will take our small group ministry to its next stage of development and beyond, overseeing our small group facilitators and hosts, ensuring that each small group is missional, growing and replicating. We want the overwhelming majority of our people to see themselves as missionaries who gather in small groups for the purpose of growing in their walk with God, as evidenced by evangelism and depth of intimacy with Christ. In other words, we do not want our small group ministry to simply be a time of mental stimulation. Our small groups must become groups where lives are changed and people catch God’s vision for reaching out and transforming others by engaging lives with the Gospel and the teaching of Scripture. You will work under the supervision of our Lead Pastor, who joined our church just over a year ago, and is an evangelist and Bible expositor with a heart to see the Great Commission fulfilled with great momentum. We need an experienced man of God who sees himself as a missionary to missionaries and a leader to leaders, with a desire to leave an eternal legacy that greatly glorifies God by prioritizing the Great Commission in ways that bring Jesus Christ honor and glory.
- Personal integrity and an abiding walk of intimacy with God. You must be able to take others where you have personally gone, now are, and are going.
- You must meet the qualifications of an elder found in 1 Tim. 3:1- 7 and Titus 1:5-9, and agree with our Vision, Mission, Values, Doctrinal Statement and Culture.
- You must have an obvious love for your wife and children (if applicable). We don’t want you to reach and love others while neglecting your family.
- You should be in shape physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, prioritizing your own health so that you can run the race for Christ with the biblical mentality of a marathon runner.
- You must truly love people and be an organized person who is bent toward following-through. It is vital that you are able to conceive, initiate and follow-through with people and processes designed to make disciples.
Small Group Ministry
- Construct and oversee onramps and systems to help people transition from being a visitor at our church to a mature replicator of Jesus Christ, involved in a small group that grows in depth and numbers, eventually multiplying.
- Work with staff to develop content for small groups, including sermon-based content (and more) that promotes evangelism and discipleship.
- Develop, implement and oversee a systematic, effective and ongoing thrust for small groups church-wide (sign-up, stories of participants, promotions church-wide and via web and social media, etc.).
- Recruit, train and mentor small group facilitators and host families so that small groups become misssional communities where the Great Commission is truly advanced.
- Oversee information tracking of small group participants, ensuring people stay engaged, don’t fall through the cracks, and grow in their walks with God.
- Develop, implement and oversee church-wide processes that help our people know what their next steps are with God, so they replicate.
- Work with AWANA leaders, Children’s Ministry leaders, youth leaders and adult ministry leaders to ensure that they have the tools, education and resources to make disciples. Help them integrate discipleship processes throughout their ministries.
- Develop, implement and oversee programs for Scripture memorization, methods of sharing the Gospel, friendship evangelism, evangelistic Bible studies, VBS, etc. We want you to lead the way in developing programs that build up our people so they are fruitful reproducers for God. You will implement and oversee these programs, working with other staff and volunteers.
- Oversee our Connections Ministry leaders, staff and volunteers to ensure visitors are followed up with excellence.
Experience & Traits
A proven track record of at least 3 years demonstrated experience in the following:
- Personally leading people to Christ and making disciples.
- Being an organized self-starting leader who needs little supervision and works well with Senior Staff, staff, volunteers and teams.
- Working well with others, respecting leadership, submitting to authority and resolving conflict when it occurs. Your life must be characterized by spiritual maturity and the filling with the Holy Spirit.
- Training large groups of people in becoming missional, evangelistic disciples.
- Discipleship, assimilation, small groups and evangelism work within a large church or within a para-church organization focused on discipleship.
- Leadership of leaders. This is not a position for the novice leader. You must have experience leading leaders so that they excel and replicate.
- Developing, sustaining, revising and overseeing processes that help people live as replicators for Jesus Christ. We are not interested in making people busy, or keeping them busy. We want our people to be Christ-centered lovers of God and people. Our processes must achieve these goals above all else.
- A proven track record of meeting the qualifications of an elder, as outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9 for at least 5 years.
- Undergraduate degree or higher
- Bible college, seminary or ministry training desired but not essential if you excel with practical, proven experience making disciples and helping others do the same, en mass. This is not a theoretical opportunity. You must have actual experience as a leader of leaders in the area of discipleship and evangelism.
- Ordination is helpful, but not essential for this position, provided you have the experience and track record of a disciple-maker.
Your Next Steps
- Send a photograph of yourself and your spouse/family (if applicable), resume, and a cover letter explaining why you have interest in this position with us.
- Include at least three (3) references from people who have first-hand knowledge of your passion, experience and impact as a leader in the area of making disciples and helping others do the same.
- Send your information in PDF format to email@example.com.
We encourage you to pray about joining us. We are praying for God’s man to join God’s movement among us. If we believe you may the person, you will be contacted for an interview.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church of Slidell
- Slidell, Louisiana
- December 2
Operations PastorVertical Church
- Durham Area, North Carolina
- December 2
Modern Service Worship Leader (231711)Private Profile
- USA South , Texas
- December 2
Scottsdale Bible Church - Student Ministry PastorVanderbloemen Search Group
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- December 2
Carmel Baptist Church - Preschool Minister/W.E.E School Head of SchoolVanderbloemen Search Group
- Matthews, North Carolina
- December 1
Our Vision is simple: help people around the world love and pursue God deeply, beginning right here, in York, Pennsylvania. We envision ourselves being a group of people who have local, national and global impact for the glory of God. We simply want to love and serve Him and one another in ways that really matter in light of eternity. Part of our vision is to be the smallest large church you've ever been part of. This means that we place a high priority on the quality of relationships we have with one another. People matter to God. People matte More...