The Assistant Preschool Director (APD) operates the Preschool in accordance with Rock Church & Academy (RCA) policies, procedures and state licensing standards to provide an educational, nurturing, and safe environment for children, parents, and staff. The Preschool Director (PD) is responsible for all Preschool operations and APD assumes all PD responsibilities and duties in the absence of the PD. The APD also participates in interviews and effectively recommends applicants to be hired. Both APD and PD determine and implement discipline and each has independent authority to give verbal or written discipline to staff. Both are responsible for the assignment and direction of staff and provide input to Annual Performance Appraisals. The APD strives to meet expectations for delivering exceptional customer service through acquisition and retention, quality program, financial management, operational compliance, and demonstrates expected behaviors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibit an attitude that represents Jesus.
- Fulfills all record-keeping responsibilities (Accept and document registration monies for Academy attenders, collect missed tuition payments with Academy Controller)
- Understands developmentally appropriate practice in Early Childhood Education and ensures its use in the classroom
- Assistant Director performs each of the essential functions for each position in the Preschool, including, but not limited to, Teacher (all classifications of Teacher and Assistant Teacher)
- Implements Church & Academy policies and procedures
- Complies with, and may implement, RCA and all governmental regulations regarding the care of children
- Comply with, and implement Title 22 state licensing regulations.
- Complies with all governmental laws and RCA regulations regarding records management, e.g., HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), etc.
- The APD is required to keep the Director informed of any necessary information regarding the care and safety of children
- The APD assists and accepts responsibility in other daily Preschool duties that might be temporary in the event other personnel are not available
- Attends, plans and participates in staff meetings, Preschool events, staff development and family meetings as requested
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with the Preschool staff and is available to assist in conflict resolution using biblical principles.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required; preferably in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or related field.
- Child Development or Early Childhood course work, 15 unit minimum, in each of the following three areas: child development administration, child development, curriculum, child/family and community and Infant and Toddler.
- Health preventative practices (15 hours).
- Three years teaching experience in an early childhood education & care facility.
- A minimum of one-year experience as an Assistant Preschool Director preferred.
- 2+ years of business management experience desirable, including experience with budgeting and accounting
- Evidence of emotional maturity and stability.
- Relates to parents in a professional and diplomatic manner.
- Highly service-oriented and creative with enthusiasm for children and care.
- Possess the personality and ability to provide leadership and stability for the program continuity, especially in the Director's absence.
Job Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Ability to maintain professional attitude and appropriate dress.
- Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children in an atmosphere of play.
- Fast learning with good problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, self-motivated, and shows initiative.
- Ability to work effectively and communicate with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a busy and demanding environment.
- Responsible and dependable with good attendance and work habits.
- Fingerprint/child abuse clearance through California state licensing.
- Must have current Pediatric CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Current (within the last year) negative T.B. test and physical examination.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to meet the physical, mental, and emotional demands of a work environment with young children, as described in the work conditions.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record.
- Ability to quickly learn software required
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills required
- Understanding of developmentally appropriate practice in early childhood education and the ability to ensure its use in the classroom.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize assignments, and provide excellent customer service.
- Read, write, spell, and communicate clearly in English.
- Work productively, both independently and collaboratively with others.
- Follow verbal and written instructions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office for MAC (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Organizational and Spiritual Requirements:
- Demonstrate Christ-Centered behavior at all times by treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity.
- Utilize the principles of Matthew 18 and Ephesians 4:15 to resolve differences of opinion with others.
- Successful completion of a thorough pre-employment references and background checks, which includes: social security verification, Local, State & Federal criminal conviction records search, national security database, and sex offender registry.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings and events.
- Member of the Rock Church (or willing to transfer membership to the Rock Church).
- Regular involvement in Rock Church activities, ministries and events.
- Tithe 10% to the Rock Church.
- Signed acknowledgment of the Rock’s Statement of Faith.
- Ability to interpret and adhere to the Rock’s policies, procedures and employee handbook.
- Be self-motivated and goal oriented, use good judgment, and be flexible and innovative.
- Professional attitude and demeanor.
(The unavoidable, externally imposed conditions under which the work must be performed, including the frequency and duration of occurrence of physical demands, environmental conditions, demands on one’s senses and mental demands.)
- Physical Demands (The nature of physical effort leading to physical fatigue)
- Caring for children can be physically demanding. The Preschool Teacher must be able to lift, push, pull or carry 50 pounds without assistance and/or have the ability to assess the weight in order to ask for necessary assistance or to determine a safer method of moving the load. Must be able to move with agility over and under children and objects; to get down to child's level by either kneeling, sitting, crouching or stooping. This position requires sufficient hand eye coordination (vision correctable to 20/20), manual dexterity, sufficient visual acuity to recognize words, letters and numbers; speech and hearing ability to carry on conversations in person or over the phone.
- The Preschool Teacher will be expected to move about easily throughout the community with children which may require frequent lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling of equipment, frequent twisting, reaching, stooping and bending. The Preschool Teacher may come in contact with children who are ill and/or contagious, and must take precautions to ensure the health and safety of all children, parents, staff and themselves.
- Environmental Conditions (The nature of adverse environmental conditions affecting the incumbent)
- The Preschool Teacher will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment, must be able to tolerate constant noises made by children such as crying, screaming, yelling and laughing. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the Preschool Teacher will have to supervise all children at all times.
- Sensory Demands (The nature of demands on the incumbent’s senses)
- The Preschool Teacher may experience smells associated with toileting and children who are ill. There may be times that the environment is noisy and busy.
- Mental Demands (Conditions that may lead to mental or emotional fatigue)
- Caring for children can be stressful. The Preschool Teacher must ensure that children are supervised at all times, respond to children sensitively and appropriately, and ensure that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities. There may be a number of situations happening at once, and the Preschool Teacher must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who are or become disabled, as defined under the American with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the Essential Job Functions either unaided or with assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”, if such is determined, on a case-by-case basis.
Employment at the Rock Church and Academy is “At-Will,” meaning either the Rock or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at anytime, for any reason, with or without advance notice.
Nothing contained in this job description or any other communication (written or verbal) the employee received is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or that any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Compensation information provided to an employee, whether stated in hourly, bi-monthly, annual, or other terms, is not intended nor does it constitute an employment contract or agreement for any specific period of time.
No manager, supervisor or employee of the Rock Church and Academy has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Headmaster / School Principal (#521413)Private Profile
- Metro Atlanta, Georgia
- December 8
Campus Student Ministries Pastor(s)Parkview Christian Church
- Orland Park, Illinois
- December 8
Elementary Programming DirectorParkview Christian Church
- Orland Park, Illinois
- December 8
Children's PastorChurch In The Son
- Orlando, Florida
- December 8
Director of Missions (767615)Private Profile
- Southeast USA , North Carolina
- December 8