Discovery Bible Fellowship, in Owasso OK is hiring a Community Groups & Teaching Pastor. Discovery functions as a Non-Denominational church which is unapologetically Biblical and contemporary in style. Its theology is reformed and is governed by a Board
of Elders. Discovery has grown each of the past 10 years averaging approximately 800 in attendance on a Sunday morning. At the core of the churches values, strategy and mission is transformation through God centered applicable teaching; Community Groups; and
local and global cause ministries. We are located in a suburb just 20 minutes north of Tulsa, OK. Please visit our website at www.DiscoverTheOne.com for more information about our church.
If you are looking to serve on a team that is energetic, spiritual contributors who love to laugh, and honor God with integrity, read on…
Our mission: Inviting people to discover new life and community in Christ.
Spiritual Growth Philosophy:
At Discovery we believe spiritual growth happens naturally as people consistently live out 7 habits over time:
- Be committed to a local church
- Engage God in scripture and prayer
- Grow in a community group
- Serve according to your giftedness
- Invest in God’s work – Be generous
- Seek justice for the poor and marginalized
- Invite others to know Christ.
Our Core Values:
- It is all about God, not us.
- Love, grace and truth must define all of our relationships.
- Lost people matter to God and therefore are a priority to us.
- Prayer is essential because it releases the power of God to accomplish His purposes.
- God's Word communicated with doctrinal integrity and cultural relevance leads to ongoing transformation.
- God invites every Christian to discover joy and meaning through utilizing his/her spiritual gift(s) in ministry.
- We demonstrate that money is not our god by giving back to God at least 10% of our income.
- Ministry led by the Holy Spirit involves creativity, innovation and risk taking.
- Excellence honors God and inspires people.
Job Title: Community Groups & Teaching Pastor
One-Sentence Job Description:
Make disciples by effectively leading adults to consistently live out the 7 habits of spiritual growth.
Direct Report: This position reports directly to the Executive Pastor.
Lead Discovery’s overall adult discipleship (Community Groups)
Anticipated Amt of Time (60%)
- Oversee the growth of the community groups from assimilation to leadership.
- Enlist, develop and multiply leaders and coaches.
- Lead, develop, and advance our church-wide small groups system.
- Oversight to Men’s, Women’s and Support/Recovery groups (included in our groups system)
Provide leadership and oversight to Discovery’s Local Causes.
Anticipated Amt of Time (20%)
- Lead and oversee partnerships with local organizations & grass-roots causes.
- Pursue and develop new avenues/causes that bring hope and restoration.
Shared staff roles
Anticipated Amt of Time (20%)
- Preach at weekend services, as a part of our preaching team. (12 x’s annually)
- General pastoral functions (weddings, funerals, all church initiatives, dedications)
Measure of Success:
The person filling this role will help define goals related to people living out the 7 habits of spiritual growth. Success in this position will be measured by accomplishing those goals.
- Team Player
- Ability to cast and communicate vision creatively, consistently and clearly in a winsome manner
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and relational IQ, with the ability to encourage and inspire.
- Creative and Innovative approach to strategic planning and problem solving
- Ability to create/evaluate/continually modify effective Systems for efficiency and ministry growth.
- Effective Preaching skills with clear evidence of teaching for transformation
- Experience in community development ministries/projects/causes.
- Thick skin and can laugh
- Soft heart
- Passion for Christ
- Passion for discipleship (holistic discipleship, not just Bible study)
- Fun to be around
- Financial wisdom
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, but prefer a Masters in Ministry.
- Track record that demonstrates the ability to think, plan, and act strategically and relationally
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a full time ministry setting (500+ membership) where the above qualifications have been demonstrated and abilities to perform above responsibilities proven.