POSITION DESCRIPTION: Pastor of Youth Ministries
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
HOURS: 40 Hours per week
BENEFITS: Salary, Health Insurance, Continuing Education Funds, Workman's Compensation Insurance, Social Security paid in standard fashion.
General Purpose of Position:
Grace Church seeks to fill a full-time position responsible for overseeing all aspects of student ministries K-12. The candidate will be primarily responsible for Junior and Senior High programs (7-12) with secondary responsibilities regarding the K-6 programs.
The primary purpose of the Youth Minister is to introduce young people to Christ; to disciple them in spiritual growth, and to train them in serving Christ with their life. Of equal importance is to assist parents or guardians in raising their children to
wholesome spiritual maturity.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Pastor of Children & Youth Ministries reports to the Lead Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. All ministry staff of Grace Church is accountable to the Elder Team for living a distinctly Christian lifestyle.
- Develop the overall children’s and youth ministry of Grace Church. Recruiting and training lay leaders, while providing coaching and oversight thought-out
- Participate in worship services when requested.
- Establishing and reaching ministry milestones.
- Attend church events.
- Continue growth and development through conferences, reading, and exchange of ideas with others.
- Serve at the discretion of the Lead Pastor.
Program Oversight (40% of full-time commitment)
- Provide oversight of children’s and youth and youth staff. Assure youth groups maintain a balanced program of spiritual, physical, and social growth. Weekly attendance of actual meetings is not expected to accomplish this task.
- Be acquainted with personal lives of the young people (for example, visit homes, attend school events, and make hospital visits). This also includes being aware of current youth development and culture.
- Foster open communication with parents/guardians primarily through youth staff, or by other means of communication.
- Assure youth activity focuses on building mature youth of the church.
- Assure training and regular involvement of youth in church ministry.
- Further develop the large gathering as well as small groups.
Leadership Training (40% of full-time commitment)
- Maintain effective leadership for each youth program. Provide support and assistance as required.
- Provide formal (structured) and informal (by example) leadership training for the children’s and youth staff.
- Oversee, with youth staff, the identification of youth with leadership potential and assure opportunities are given for development.
- Evaluate and make recommendations concerning teaching materials and methods used.
- Be an advisor / resource for leaders throughout the church.
Administrative (20% of full-time commitment)
- Maintain a well-planned, carefully balanced program throughout the year coordinated with the church calendar of events.
- Assure responsibilities for all events (for example retreats, and special events) are delegated and understood by youth staff and youth.
- Pre-schedule all activities in their entirety, including post-activity plans. Publish it to staff, parents, and youth in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the children’s and youth programs remain within the budget constraints from the Finance Team.
- Attend staff meeting and participate in the preaching and service planning meetings.
- With the input and support of the children’s and youth ministry teams, establish and maintain a philosophy of ministry including outreach and growth goals.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
- Must be a baptized, born again believer with a maturing relationship with Christ who willingly joins Grace Church.
- As a member of the pastoral staff, must meet the qualifications of I Tim 3, as well as the constitution and policies of Grace Church.
- Must be a graduate or fourth year student of a Bible college or Christian liberal arts college with a degree in Theology, Christian Education, or Youth Ministry. A thorough knowledge of Bible is essential.
- Must have knowledge and skill in the philosophy, psychology, and principles of Christian education. Experience preferred in an established successful youth program.
- Must be sensitive to needs and pressures of parents, kids, and teens with knowledge of possible solutions.
- Must be able to teach, train, and disciple lay workers.
- Must subscribe to the Constitution and doctrinal statement of Grace Church.
- Must be in good physical and mental health.
- Must be able to exercise initiative and judgment as an independent worker.
- Must possess organizational and administration abilities.
- Must be able to respond to changing needs throughout the daily and weekly schedule.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must posses a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Must have the ability to establish and reach ministry related goals.
- Musical ability is preferred, but not necessary.