The Volunteer Development Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the details of the volunteer development process to ensure it is carried out church wide and in the community. The individual in this position will enjoy being an expert in their area
of responsibility, take pride in work being done with accuracy and setting an example for those around them. The Volunteer Development Coordinator will be motivated by the flexibility in a variety of work assignments and the commitment to serving the volunteers
that support the Rock Church and San Diego community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and process all volunteer Interest Forms, which connect potential volunteers with the ministries they’re interested in. Also, ensuring all volunteer requirements are met to help provide the best volunteer experience
- Oversees the validation of online volunteer hours submitted online through the Rock’s website
- Assists the Volunteer Services Manager in connecting with church staff and ministry leaders to develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within organization, including internships programs.
- Assists the Community Events Manager with projects pertaining to external events such as Toys for Joy as needed
- Connects community service applicants to volunteer opportunities within the Rock church or in the community.
- Maintains accurate records and provides timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation.
- Coordinates the internship program including the processing of applications, background checks, and miscellaneous forms as well as the creation and upkeep of intern files to ensure all paperwork has been completed. Arranges interviews between intern applicant
and Volunteer Development Manager and Intern Supervisor.
- Responsible for processing requests for badges for all church sites, verifies that all requirements have been completed before creating badge, creates and changes badge templates and notifies Volunteer Development Manager of supplies that need to be ordered.
- Prepares reports, memos, letters, and other documents, using word processing, spreadsheet, database, or presentation software.
- Reads and analyzes incoming communication and reports to determine their significance and plan their distribution.
- Prepares responses to correspondence containing routine inquiries.
- Processes background checks and all other related tasks, such as, submitting, updating information, documenting results, reviewing and analyzing reports and assessing billing distribution Reviews background check invoice to validate names for payment.
- Prepares weekly reports (i.e. number of background checks per site, number of interest forms submitted, number of volunteers engaged in ministry opportunities etc.)
The above summary of duties represents the major tasks and duties. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Therefore, the individual may perform other related tasks under the direction of the Director of Volunteer Development.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Associate’s degree; or 1 to 3 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Ability to multitask, prioritize assignments, and provide excellent customer service.
- Read, write, spell, and communicate clearly in English.
- Work productively, both independently and collaboratively with others.
- Follow verbal and written instructions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office for MAC (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Wufoo, and Survey Money).
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Works well in-group problem solving situations; strong team player.
- Responds promptly to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Ability to work well with timelines and short deadlines.
- Ability to work in a high volume environment while maintaining solid creativity and quality.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Self-motivated and flexible with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to speak clearly and competently in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to interact with other ministry leaders and or personnel in a positive and customer focused manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Legible writing skills. Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Ability to work independently or in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
Organizational and Spiritual Requirements
- Demonstrate Christ-centered behavior at all times by treating people with dignity, respect, compassion and integrity.
- Utilize the principles of Matthew 18 and Ephesians 4:15 to resolve differences of opinion with others.
- Successful completion of a thorough pre-employment references and background checks, which includes: social security verification, Local, State & Federal criminal conviction records search, national security database, and sex offender registry.
- Attendance at all mandatory meetings and events. This includes serving at Good Friday, Easter and Christmas services as well as the annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Member of the Rock Church (or willing to transfer membership to the Rock Church).
- Regular involvement in Rock Church activities, ministries and events.
- Tithe 10% to the Rock Church.
- Signed acknowledgment of the Rock’s Statement of Faith.
- Ability to interpret and adhere to the Rock’s policies, procedures and employee handbook.
- Be self-motivated and goal oriented, use good judgment, and be flexible and innovative.
- Professional attitude and demeanor.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Must be able to work independently, communicate effectively, and lift up to 25lbs (with or without assistance). This position also may require
long periods of sitting, standing, walking, and hand/eye coordination for keyboard data entry and viewing data on a computer monitor. External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who are or become disabled, as defined under the American
with Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the Essential Job Functions either unaided or with assistance of a “reasonable accommodation”, if such is determined, on a case-by-case basis.
Employment at the Rock Church and Academy is “At-Will,” meaning either the Rock or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at anytime, for any reason, with or without advance notice.
Nothing contained in this job description or any other communication (written or verbal) the employee received is intended to be, nor should it be, construed as a guarantee that employment or that any benefit will be continued for any period of time. Compensation
information provided to an employee, whether stated in hourly, bi-monthly, annual, or other terms, is not intended nor does it constitute an employment contract or agreement for any specific period of time.
No manager, supervisor or employee of the Rock Church and Academy has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make any agreement for employment other than at-will.