Just minutes from Washington, D.C., Burke Community is a large non-denominational, culturally relevant, biblically based church located in Fairfax County, Virginia.
Our close proximity to D.C. means we reach many professional and military people who impact our culture on a local, national, and global scale.
Over the past few years, God has blessed us with tremendous growth and we currently have a Sunday attendance of about 2,300, including over 200 middle/high school students.
While our church is getting larger, we still enjoy a true sense of community and we are passionately focused on helping all of our worshippers become mature Christ followers.
Our next Middle School Director of Student Ministries will be a team player interested in working with our other pastors in implementing this vision. He will also possess an intimate and growing relationship with the Lord, a love and passion for youth, and he will be effective at working closely with the High School Director of Student Ministries as well as lay leaders to achieve clearly defined goals and objectives.
Position Title: Director of Student Ministries – Middle School
Reports To: Executive Pastor
To provide vision and leadership to the middle school ministry so that teens are impacted with the life-giving, life-changing message of the Word of God, resulting in the growth of disciples and the reaching and winning of non-Christian teens.
- Possesses a passionate and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Agrees with the vision and philosophy of the church and knows how to lead others to vision fulfillment.
- Agrees with the church statement of faith.
- Holds a seminary degree.
- Has proven experience in leading student ministry.
- To support the corporate vision and strategy of BCC.
- To provide weekly experiences which are creative, fresh, vibrant, culturally relevant, theologically sound, and age appropriate.
- To make sure the middle school student ministry is balanced between discipleship and evangelism.
- To enhance the middle school student ministry by equipping and training leaders.
- To provide vision to the middle school student ministry by determining a ministry action plan with annual objectives that will grow the ministry at all levels.
Primary Ministry Responsibilities
As a member of the Pastoral team
- Serve and lead in cooperation with and submission to the Senior Pastor and ultimately the Elder Council.
- Work as a team player with other pastoral staff, making sure the respective ministries work with and complement each other, and that they are purposeful in their offerings.
- Attend weekly pastoral staff meetings.
- Attend large-scale church functions and be prepared to give reports of how goals and objectives are being realized (i.e., Annual meetings, Town Hall meetings, etc.).
- Assist in providing care to the congregation, particularly meeting those needs related to middle school students and their parents.
As the leader of the Student Ministry
- Serve as the main teaching leader in the middle school student setting, which includes Sunday morning and another week night.
- Recruit, develop, and lead the lay leadership for the middle school student ministry team.
- Oversee, implement, and give leadership to numerous small groups.
- Work closely with the full-time High School Director of Student Ministries.
- Give leadership and direction to a part-time Assistant Director of Student Ministries.
- Give leadership and direction to the youth leadership team and student interns.
- Work with the student worship band to create a relevant, Christ-honoring worship environment.
- Shepherd and care for middle school student ministry team members.
- Creatively design and maintain a middle school student ministry that reflects the ministry metaphor of the church.
- Choose curriculum and develop lessons that communicate the timeless truths of God’s word in a clear, interesting, relevant, and compelling way to students.
- Plan, oversee, and administrate youth retreats, conferences, monthly student activities, and key evangelistic/outreach events.
- Counsel students and parents as needs arise.
- Communicate and interact with parents regarding their partnership in shepherding their students.
- Offer workshops/seminars for parents of teens dealing with different student/parent issues.
- Attend one youth conference a year designed to enhance your ability.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time position, with full benefits. Pay will reflect the standard of living in Fairfax County, Virginia.
Interested candidates please send the following to email@example.com or to Burke Community Church, 9900 Old Keene Mill Road, Burke, VA 22015:
- Cover letter detailing why you feel led to apply for this job
- Current resume
- Vision/philosophy of student ministry document (one page)
- Current online link or DVD showing you teaching/leading students
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Children and Youth MinistriesBeloit First Christian Church
- Beloit, Kansas
- January 23
Associate Pastor of Children and Youth MinistriesBeloit First Christian Church
- Beloit, Kansas
- January 23
Associate PastorPeace Lutheran Church
- Hazen, North Dakota
- January 22
Director of Christian Education for Children, Youth and FamiliesSpring Valley Presbyterian Church
- Columbia, South Carolina
- January 21
Student Pastor - 1766MinisterSearch
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- January 21
Burke Community Church
At Burke Community Church, we accept and hold as the essentials of our faith those areas of doctrinal teaching on which there has been general agreement among all true Christians.
Because of the unique and open nature of a community church, we desire to allow for freedom of belief on other doctrinal matters, provided that any interpretation is based upon the Bible alone and that no interpretation shall become an issue which hinders the ministry to which God has called us.