St Thomas United Methodist Church
Position Title: Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Position: 40 hours a week with mandatory Sunday mornings
Salary: $50,000 annually
We are a mid-sized multi-site United Methodist congregation, evangelical in emphasis with a robust local missions effort, located in a far-outlying suburb of Washington D.C.
The envisioned candidate is passionate about:
1) his/her faith in Jesus Christ
2)lovingly modeling this faith to children, youth and families in entrepreneurial ways.
Important skill sets include ability to envision and implement ministry strategies as well as creatively recruit & equip volunteers
Salary range: $48,000 – $52,000, commensurate with professional training and experience.
Education/Training: Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Christian Education, Theology or related fields with significant experience in working with children and youth.
Strong organizational and interpersonal skills along with a strong Christian faith and dedication to living a life worthy of Christ.
Background: The goal of the Children and Youth Ministry of St. Thomas UMC is to develop committed disciples of Jesus Christ.
Besides a commitment to Christ, an appreciation of the Biblical faith as expressed through the United Methodist Church, and a love for children and youth--enthusiasm, good time management skills, and leadership are essential in this position.
1. Create vibrant, energetic Children and Youth programs that attract new children and youth and retain existing children, youth, and families.
2. Teach Biblical and Doctrinal principles to STUMC children, youth, and families.
3. Establish a robust set of qualified volunteers to assist with program implementation and growth.
General Job Description/Responsibilities:
1. Select Curriculum for children and youth for Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Youth Group, Youth Bible Studies, and other programs.
2. Oversee and help plan all children and youth programs throughout the year.
3. Work with parents to meet the spiritual needs and growth of their children and youth.
4. Supervise, recruit, train, and coordinate Children and Youth Ministry staff—both paid and volunteer.
5. Communicate with families and the church as a whole the ongoing Children’s and Youth Ministries taking place through STUMC.
6. Plan and oversee the annual budget of Children’s and Youth Ministries.
7. Attend weekly staff meetings and work with other staff members as appropriate.
8. Attend appropriate committee, planning, and Church Council meetings.
9. Attend Continuing Education Events.