Village Chapel United Methodist Church
Position Title: Director of Children’s Ministry Date Revised: 12/06/2013
Reporting Relationships: Pay Status: Salary
• Primary: Lead Pastor
Employment Status: Full-time Average Work Schedule: 45-50 hours/week
Main Objective To lead Village Chapel UMC in reaching out to children (Birth-5th Grade) and
raising up disciples (fully-devoted followers) for Jesus Christ.
And to lead Village Chapel UMC in recruiting, equipping, and deploying
servants (volunteers) in ministry.
Key Result Area 1
Design, implement, and manage a Christ-centered, Spirit-empowered
children’s ministry responsive to the direction of the Lead Pastor and in
coordination with the Children’s Ministry Board.
1. Work with the existing teams to define the current ministry plan and to
clarify the long term vision for children’s ministry through Village Chapel.
2. Write a Children’s Ministry Management Plan [Strategy] outlining Village
Chapel’s strategy to reach out to children and to raise up children as
disciples for Jesus Christ.
3. Implement the Children’s Ministry Management Plan [Strategy] through
action plans [strategies] and scheduling.
Key Result Area 2
Develop the Children’s Ministry Board and teams of people (leaders, teachers,
and servants) who will work together to design and to implement the
children’s ministry management plan.
1. Create and maintain current ministry position descriptions for leaders,
teachers, and servants.
2. Recruit, train, and empower leaders, teachers, and servants for ministry
with children making sure all ministries (nursery through 5th grade) are
3. Supervise leaders, teachers, and servants empowering them to organize
and execute ministry events.
4. Resource, evaluate, and appreciate leaders, teachers, and servants with a
focus on meeting an annual retention goal.
5. Meet with the Children’s Ministry Board at least 3 times each year.
6. Meet with each ministry team as needed.
Key Result Area 3
Cultivate a contagious inviting atmosphere with multiple opportunities for
children to experience God’s grace.
(Outward) Performance Standards
1. Design and implement a communication strategy to invite children
throughout the community and within the church family. Update these
communication channels on a regular basis.
2. Design and implement a follow-up strategy to celebrate children and
express God’s love to them. Examples may include: first visit, second
visit, third visit follow-up contacts; birthday cards; random contacts;
“missing you” contacts.
3. Implement and oversee a welcoming registration (check-in/check-out)
4. Design ministries (short-term and long-term) with a constant focus on who
should be invited (and how) and how to reach into new areas of the
Key Result Area 4
Faith Nurture and
Lead Leaders, Teachers, and Servants in discipling children in a growing
relationship with God equipping the children with a comprehensive knowledge
of God’s character, Scripture, and the Plan of Salvation.
1. Design a scope and sequence across the spectrum of children’s ministry
based on childhood development models for the purpose of spiritually
2. Select quality curriculum based on this scope and sequence.
3. Design and implement multiple “on ramps” to reach children. Examples
include ongoing ministries like Sunday School, Jr. Church, and CIA; and
short-term ministries like Vacation Bible School and After School Kids Club.
4. Utilize the scope and sequence for ministry evaluation.
5. Coordinate with the Discipleship Coordinator to equip parents to disciple
their children at home.
Key Result Area 5
Children in Ministry
Lead Leaders, Teachers, and Servants in challenging children to glorify God by
using their gifts as missionaries for God by serving others and sharing the faith
in the name of Jesus.
1. Challenge on-going ministries to engage the children in a mission project
once each quarter (ranging from in-class projects connected to the lesson
to “field trips”).
2. Equip leaders to implement special ministry opportunities for the children.
Example may include: Children’s Christmas Play/Musical/Program.
Key Result Area 6
Design, implement, and manage a Safe Sanctuary Policy for Village Chapel
United Methodist Church.
1. Evaluate the existing Safe Sanctuary Policy on a regular basis.
2. Update the policy as needed.
3. Work with leaders throughout Village Chapel to consistently live within the
bounds of the Safe Sanctuary Policy.
Key Result Area 7
Attend to the administrative responsibilities required to support the children’s
ministry and arrange for clear, repetitive communication throughout the
1. Provide monthly reports to the Lead Pastor and meet at least monthly with
the Lead Pastor for goal setting, reporting, evaluation, problem solving,
and prayer support.
2. Work with the Lead Pastor to maintain a current Position Description and
3. Interpret and communicate the vision of the children’s ministry throughout
4. Represent Village Chapel on the Foundations to Grow On Pre-School
5. Oversee finances by assuring a monthly financial report is presented to
the Children’s Ministry Board. Work with ministry teams and the Children’s
Ministry Board to establish the Annual Children’s Ministry Budget for
submission to the Finance Committee in mid-September.
6. Exemplify servant leadership by actively participating in the staff
7. Attend and participate in all worship services and Sunday School/Life
8. Participate in a peer group with children’s ministry directors for
encouragement and accountability.
Key Result Area 8
Network people to opportunities to live out their calling and spiritual
1. Utilize spiritual gift inventories from the Core Classes and work with the
Discipleship Coordinator to identify key opportunities for people to serve
2. Recruit people to invest their lives for Christ with clear expectations
regarding responsibilities, authority, accountability, length of commitment.
3. Retain servants (leaders) by affirming and equipping them.
• Demonstrates a Spirit-filled relationship with Christ and exhibits model
Christian behavior in both his/her actions and words.
• Prefer a degree/training in children’s ministry or related experience.
• Ability to process information and make independent judgments.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritize responsibilities and needs of others.
• Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
• Computer literacy (e-mail; MSWord; PowerPoint; webpage editing).
The above position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by colleagues assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, qualifications, or working conditions.
This position falls under the procedures and guidelines of the Village Chapel United
Methodist Church employee handbook.
Additional documents located on our website under Career Opportunities at www.villagechapelumc.org
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children's Pastor/Director of Children's MinistriesNew Venture Christian Fellowship
- Oceanside, California
- October 27
Pastor of Children's MinistryDesert Vineyard Church
- Lancaster, California
- October 27
Children's Pastor / DirectorGrace World Outreach Church
- Brooksville, Florida
- October 27
Children's PastorSpringwell Church
- Taylors, South Carolina
- October 27
Director of Children's MinistriesCommunity Presbyterian Church
- Danville, California
- October 26