1. Demonstrate a heart and a passion for Christ and his Kingdom through personal spiritual discipline and public ministry.
2. Seek to grow in that relationship with Christ through personal spiritual discipline, education, accountability and service to His Kingdom.
1. Experience: At least 1 year of leading a congregation in public worship, with a commitment of seeking to grow in that area, perhaps through further training.
2. Musical skills: Ability to lead worship while playing guitar or keyboard, have a working knowledge of sound systems and be willing to learn MVUMC’s system.
3. Education: At least 1 year of biblical & ministry education at the collegiate level, or equivalent, preferred, though not absolutely necessary.
4. Have an understanding of the flow of worship in a service. Suggested venues: BJ Putnam, Jesus Culture, Hillsong, New Life and the like.
1. Work with the Pastor to create a well planned and prayerful worship service.
2. To oversee and coordinate all musical aspects of the worship service.
a. Lead praise band, singers, and congregation in worship at weekly Sunday morning worship service
b. Any necessary rehearsals; a weekly evening rehearsal and Sunday morning warm-up/review which should be completed before 8:40 am.
c. Learn the presentation software and insert the lyrics in the proper order for congregational participation.
3. As a member of the Worship Committee, work to create schedules for Worship teams (vocalists, and pianist’s instrumentalists) and/or volunteer Worship Leaders.
4. Recruit new vocalists and instrumentalists as needed, be willing to work with youth if they are so inclined. Periodically review all church owned instruments to make sure that they are in good working order. If anything needs repaired or to purchase
new instruments, it must be approved by the Worship Committee and/or Trustees/ Church Council.
5. Any additional duties as agreed upon by the Worship Leader, Pastor and Worship Committee.
1. The duties of the Worship Leader fall under the responsibility of the Worship Committee.
2. The Committee will give the WL an annual evaluation each summer, the results of which will be submitted to the S.P.R.C. for salary recommendations.
3. Arranging for Substitutes:
a. One Sunday Vacation, one Sunday sick leave: The WL is given one Sunday off per year with at least two weeks’ notice, in which he/she need not attend worship. On this Sunday the WL is asked to schedule a worship leader substitute.
b. Other Unpaid Sundays Off: Any additional Sundays off must be agreed upon between the WL and the Worship Commission, and they will be unpaid.
c. If any emergency arises requiring time off, please also inform either the Pastor or, if he is not available, the Worship Committee Chairperson.
4. If there any issues or concerns that the WL may have, the WL should see the Pastor and/or the Worship Committee Chairperson for reconciliation of those items.
5. It is possible that this position may change or evolve as time moves on. The Worship Committee asks for cooperation as we strive to make our worship services more meaningful and inclusive of all congregants.
6. Hours: We expect this position to be but not restricted to, a 5-10 hour/week commitment for preparation, NOT INCLUDING rehearsal and service times. The WL is asked to track hours worked and submit them to the pastor.
7. Compensation: The annual compensation is salaried and not based on hourly work.
The Top Strategic Goals for this Position:
1. To plan worship services for 3-6 weeks in advance.
2. To determine a number of ways to “open the doors” for greater recruitment.
3. To lead a weekly night practice time for the worship teams, including times of prayer together.
4. To cultivate greater community in the worship personnel.
5. To help Mountain View United Methodist Church better understand and involve them in public worship