Bethany Church is located in beautiful Long Beach, one of the largest cities in California. Bethany is becoming increasingly missional in an effort to more effectively engage the young and diverse urban population in our surrounding area.
We are a multi-generational church of 800-1000 that is also home to a thriving school (pre-K through 8th grade) of 400 students. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to build a thriving kids ministry (preschool through 5th grade). The right
candidate will be a healthy team builder, have great insights into the next generation, and experienced with engaging the whole family.
For more information about the church, visit our website: www.bethanylb.org
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (each are required for consideration):
- cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you’d be a fit
- recent photo
No phone calls please.
Full time position, reports to Lead Pastor
The Director of Children’s Ministries will provide vision and leadership in leading Bethany Church forward in the areas of birth through fifth grade. This person will possess genuine passion and vision to help children thrive and develop a growing relationship
This person will be a natural at creating environments which result in kids who genuinely love their church and can’t wait to invite their friends.
This person will also be skilled in the area of leader development. Their passion to identify, equip and multiply leaders is contagious, and their visionary spirit naturally attracts others who are eager to join this ministry and help shape young lives for
This person will also create and implement systems to build bridges with parents of children.
As opposed to offering a “day care” where parents can simply drop off their kids and remain disconnected, our vision is to see parents involved and serving in a dynamic ministry.
Finally, this person will be active in the local community, representing Bethany and building relational bridges with people outside the church.
- gifted in leadership, evangelism and reaching lost people for Christ
- has a proven track record of training and multiplying leaders
- has successfully grown ministries at a larger church (750+ regular attendance)
- given degree of ministry with families, possesses a high level of relational intelligence
- has experience working with a church-based school
- can articulate a clear call to ministry and personal story of how transformed by Christ
- relates well to others and displays the love of Christ in his/her everyday life
- a person of integrity and devotion to Christ (according to 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1)
- demonstrates humility, maturity and a balance of emotions
- entrepreneurial; a self-starter who can cast a compelling vision and also follow through
- an enthusiastic leader who generates excitement in the lives of those around them
- experienced with attracting volunteers and building teams
- knows how to empower other leadership and delegate accordingly
- has a genuine passion for people outside the church and outside the faith
- experience in creating environments that are relevant to outsiders
- a team player: protective of other staff and supportive of overall leadership decisions
- finds creative and compelling ways to promote for and recruit new leaders
- cultivates personal relationships and pours into prospective or current leaders
- develops high-level director-type leaders who can help share the mantle of leadership
- provides fresh, challenging and recurrent training opportunities for volunteers
- finds age-appropriate ways to involve student leaders in the ministry (grades 6-12)
- ensures overall staffing for Bethany Kids environments (teachers, helpers, etc.)
- develop internship program for part-time and/or summer interns
- hire and provide leadership for staff in paid children’s ministry positions (as funds allow)
- creates systems for parents to serve and connect
- creates and maintains an ongoing system of communication with parents
- works closely with the leaders of the following ministries to maximize integration:
Student Ministries (both middle and high school)
Bethany School (full-time, on-campus preschool through 8th grade)
- builds bridges to the local community (includes both events and ongoing ministries)
- creates multiple points of entry into Bethany for children and families
- assimilation (connecting people into the Bethany family)
Vision and Strategy
- crafts, communicates and implements a unique and compelling vision for Bethany Kids
- creates a unique “brand” (logo, look and feel) for Bethany Kids
- oversees the selection of fresh, cutting-edge curriculum that engages today’s students
- instills a sense of personal vision in both adults and children
- develops an ongoing presence at Bethany School and strengthens integration with church
Ministry and Operations
- ministerial responsibilities (counseling, visitation, benevolence, etc.)
- attends Bethany staff meetings
- manage budgets relevant to children’s ministry
Allowance for conferences and training