Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
The Assistant Campus Pastor’s job description and responsibilities fit into three main categories; (1) Pastoral Care and Counseling, (2) Supporting the mission, vision, and structure of the Campus Pastors Office by being a liaison for the Campus Pastors with key Student Life offices, (3) Participating in and supporting Campus Pastors in chapel, spiritual life programming and discipleship ministries. This is a 40 hour, full time position that is designed to be an overall direct support and partner for the Associate Campus Pastors. This position must have knowledge and experience in pastoral care and counseling, pastoral leadership, administrative leadership, evangelism and discipleship, and preaching. There will be interaction with undergraduate students who request a pastor or have been recommended to one for prayer, theological questions, celebration, crises, sanctions, and many other reasons. Additional time will be spent participating in larger spiritual formation initiatives.
This position reports primarily to the Associate Campus Pastor for Community Care, but will also report to the Lead Campus Pastor, Associate Campus Pastor for Discipleship, and Associate Campus Pastor for Spiritual Programming.
- Minimum Education: M.A. in Theology/Ministry or an M.Div. Candidates must be ordained or in the final stages of the process of becoming ordained.
- Minimum Experience: Three - Five years of experience in a similar setting of pastoral ministry, with some experience in pastoral care and counseling and crisis intervention, evangelism and discipleship experience, and preaching in venues of 500 people or more. Youth or college-age ministry experience preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
1. Pastoral Care and Counseling (40%)
- Contribute to proactive care of vulnerable groups of students on campus, such as student athletes, under-represented students, commuters, PKs, etc.
- Keep regular hours in the office to be available for pastoral counseling and spiritual guidance to undergraduate students, including unscheduled walk-in appointments.
- Work with a spirit that is ready to listen and care for a wide range of students and scenarios.
- To collaborate with Residence Life, Counseling Office, Chapel Programs (Prayer Requests Responses), Health Center, and any other offices that might help create better care for students.
- Hospital visitation
- Maintain interaction with students by appointments and sustain a “presence” on campus when they are not in appointments by moving outside the office to look for casual opportunities to care.
- Collaborate and help lead with campus pastors, faculty, staff, and administrators on any large scale crisis.
- Communicates consistently with the Administrative Assistant for the Campus Pastors Office concerning schedule and follow up for students.
2. Supporting the Mission, Vision, and Structure of the Campus Pastors Office (40%)
- Be an example and voice on campus for theologically-informed intercultural competencies, in collaboration with the Student Center for Reconciliation and Diversity.
- Represent Campus Pastors on Student Life committees
- Attend bi-weekly Campus Pastoral Staff meetings and Student Life In-Service trainings.
- Weekly supervision meetings with Associate Campus Pastor for Community Care
- Provide pastoral direction to assess needs and facilitate ministry initiatives and Spiritual Life Programming within the Athletic department, in collaboration with Athletic Director, Coaches, and Admissions Office under direction of Associate Campus Pastor for Spiritual Programming.
- Facilitate collaboration between Athletic Department and Discipleship and Spiritual Mentoring under direction of Associate Campus Pastor for Discipleship
- Possible involvement in Night of Champions
- Possibility of acting as pastoral liason for FCA on campus
3. Pastoral Leadership (20%)
- Participate as needed in chapel services (preaching, prayer, sacraments, pastoral support) as directed by Campus Pastors and/or Director of Chapel Programs.
- Representing and speaking on behalf of the Campus Pastors when so directed
- Shared “All Access” preview weekend assignments
- Participate in Student Leadership, Student Life, and University events as needed
- Performs other responsibilities related to job description as assigned by supervisor.
- Leadership, initiative, and administrative ability. Ability to balance a variety of tasks and demands. Excellent organizational, managerial, problem solving, oral and written communication skills. Ability to use the computer with Windows and Microsoft products to complete tasks. Self-awareness and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of procedures and theory in the field of spiritual care and pastoral counseling, Biblical interpretation, and Christian theology. Ability to encourage a range of spiritual and intellectual styles and develop leaders to minister to undergraduate students.
- Passion for students, vision and commitment to help intentionally develop the spiritual climate of the campus.
- Ability to intimately understand and work cooperatively with all undergraduate students, faculty, staff, administrators, board members, and parents of students.
- Ability and desire to reach out to all students, especially those who are disenfranchised (a typical “fringe” student).
- Possess a strong cross cultural competence with the ability to pastor culturally diverse students.
- Ability to learn procedures, retain information, and present one’s self in a professional manner that reflects the goals and mission of APU.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
Job LocationAzusa, California, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
For Staff jobs please apply directly at https://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com/
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Campus Pastor - 1767MinisterSearch
- Rockford Area, Illinois
- January 21
Campus PastorNewbreak Church
- San Diego, California
- January 20
Next Steps PastorBeach Church
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- January 19
Campus PastorBeulah Alliance Church
- Edmonton, Alberta
- January 19
Waterbury Campus PastorFaith Church
- New Milford, Connecticut
- January 17
Azusa Pacific University
Azusa Pacific University is a Christian University nestled in the scenic San Gabriel Valley of Southern California—only minutes from the mountains and an hour from the ocean and the desert. Azusa Pacific University has much more than a beautiful campus and a great location. Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, APU is one of the leading evangelical Christian universities in the United States, offering more than 60 undergraduate areas of study, 26 master’s degrees, and 7 doctorates to more than 8,100 students. The univer More...