The Metropolitan Church is seeking a Director of Christian Education to plan, coordinate and implement a comprehensive Christian education program for our children and adults at the three sites that constitute the Metropolitan Church (a description of the three sites can be found at the end of this document).* The Director of Christian Education will also oversee the church’s Campus ministry partnership with American University.
The Director of Christian Education will develop and integrate a dynamic Christian education and spiritual development program that nurtures spiritual growth for all ages and encourages the congregation to become a transforming force in our community and the world. He or she will provide leadership for all aspects of faith development programs in the Metropolitan Church, including using our learning programs as tools for evangelism.
The Director of Christian Education will report to the Senior Pastor and provide supervision for the Director of the Metropolitan Nursery School as well as a wide array of volunteer Sunday school teachers, Nursery workers, the Directors and accompanists of two children’s choirs, the Pastoral Associate for Campus Ministry, and adult leaders and teachers.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Sunday School for Children:
- Supervise all children’s ministry activities on Sunday mornings and at special events as needed.
- Develop, implement, organize, and supervise the Sunday school program from September through May.
- Develop, implement, organize and supervise a summer Sunday school program for June, July, and August.
- Recruit and train all Sunday school volunteers.
- Serve as the first point of contact for parents who want to have their children baptized, and coordinate their visits with the Senior Pastor and with the Director of Worship, Music and Arts to schedule the baptisms.
- Oversee and manage activities within the Infant and Toddler Nursery, including hiring and supervising nursery staff workers.
- Ensure that all staff and regular volunteers working with children successfully complete the required Safe Sanctuaries Procedures.
- Ensure that attendance is taken at Sunday school classes and reach out to families who have been absent for several weeks.
- Hire and supervise two children’s choir directors and accompanists as well as schedule all choir performances and coordinate these performances with other music and worship staff. Communicate choir schedules to parents.
- Coordinate the schedule for children’s sermons’ presenters in both worship services.
- Direct and coordinate the Family Christmas Eve service, including required rehearsal times and coordinating with all relevant staff such as the Pastors and members of the music and worship staff.
- Arrange childcare for all worship events at MMUMC and coordinate for special events as needed.
- Provide communication about children’s ministries, including to church parents, Nursery School parents, church members, and the community. This includes, but is not limited to, information for the monthly Messenger newsletter and weekly e mail Metro Updates as well as the children’s bulletin board at the church.
- Plan and implement special events involving children including, but not limited to, service projects, Third Grade Bible presentation annually, and periodic family events.
- Organize and maintain the Sunday school supply closet and ensure that adequate supplies are available for children’s ministries throughout the year.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate all dimensions of the annual, week-long Vacation Bible School as well as other special programs for children.
The Metropolitan Church has a full-time Director of Youth Ministries who is under the supervision of the Senior Pastor. A key requirement of this position is the coordination with the Director of Youth Ministries to ensure continuity and a smooth transition for children graduating to the youth program.
- Direct and lead a comprehensive program for spiritual development and Christian education, including providing leadership to the lay ministry team for Christian education/formation/nurture by organizing relevant ministries and programs
- Develop the vision and provide the leadership for spiritual formation and Christian education and serve as a theological and educational resource for the congregation
- Plan, direct and evaluate adult education programs, including assessing needs, identifying gaps and setting priorities for the congregation’s education/study ministries
- Help develop the adult class curriculum and coordinate special adult educational events for the church and larger community
- Plan and evaluate settings for teaching and learning, and identify resources and equipment to support programs for education/study
- Review literature and other resources for education/study, work to make those resources available through the church’s library and maintain a detailed list of such resources.
Campus Ministry (working with the Pastoral Associate for Campus Ministry):
- Provide leadership and oversight for the campus ministry program at American University (now in its sixth year)
- Programs in this ministry include monthly dinners following Sunday evening worship at American University, weekly lunch in the AU lounge at Metropolitan Memorial, identifying church members to serve as mentors to AU students, identifying church members to “adopt a student” for shared meals and visits to their homes
- Coordinate the annual American University Sunday at Metropolitan Memorial that includes participation of the United Methodist Chaplain at AU as well as students serving in leadership roles in the worship service
- Coordinate study groups that can include Bible study, studying prayer, or other relevant programs for AU students
- Attend meetings including weekly staff meetings, weekly Sunday morning worship staff meetings, Children and Youth Ministry Team meetings, bi-monthly Church Council meetings, bi-monthly Pillar meetings (the Pillars coordinate the programmatic life of the Church), and the annual Charge Conference as well as provide reports on Christian Education ministries as requested at all of these meetings.
- Serve as a Board member on the Nursery School Advisory Committee and liaison with the Nursery School Director. This includes, but is not limited to, coordinating children’s chapel weekly at the Nursery School, and facilitating meetings between Nursery School staff and parents of children.
- Develop and submit annually a proposed budget for Christian Education programs related to children and adults, typically in the fall of each year.
- Write and submit information to the church newsletter on educational programming.
- Advise and work with the church Library staff.
- Participate in the annual employee evaluation process.
Qualifications, competencies, and spiritual gifts needed:
- Demonstrate, articulate, and model a mature and vital Christian faith and sense of vocation/call in the ministry of Christian discipleship
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in Christian education and spiritual development
- Experience with children’s Christian Education programs across all ages.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both in writing and orally, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a flexible approach to changing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Background check for the church’s Safe Sanctuaries policy required.
Please provide a resume by November 21, 2013, to Helen Simon, Executive Assistant to the Senior Pastor, Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church, 3401 Nebraska Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20016 or e mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The Metropolitan Church is a three-campus Church in Northwest Washington, DC. The main campus at Metropolitan Memorial on Nebraska Avenue, is a large, vital, urban congregation with members who come from the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. It holds two Sunday worship services: a very traditional service with organ and liturgy, as well as an informal, family-friendly service.
Wesley is a dynamic, multi-cultural, multi-ethnic congregation on Connecticut Avenue with a jazz ensemble and a vibrant gospel choir.
The Crossroads worship service at our St. Luke’s Mission Center on Calvert Street in Glover Park attracts primarily young adults interested in worshipping and being in community in a smaller congregational setting. It has a contemporary, emergent service on Sunday evening with a band of guitars, keyboards, and drums.
We celebrate the diversity of our three campuses and operate as a unified Church entity in activities across worship, study, service, caring, and outreach. The Church has a passion for learning and for serving and particularly seeks to explore ways in which we can deepen our understanding of our faith as well as ways in which we live out our faith through service to our city, our country, and around the world. The Metropolitan Church is a Reconciling community and an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Elementary Program LeaderCornerstone Fellowship
- Livermore, California
- December 2
Assiant to Children/Student PastorPeace UMC
- Pickerington, Ohio
- December 1
Director of Children's MinistryWalnut Street UMC
- Chillicothe, Ohio
- December 1
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- December 1
Children's Center DirectorHilmar Covenant Church
- Hilmar, California
- November 30
Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church - A Multi Campus Parish
Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church is a three-campus Parish:
- The main campus at Metropolitan Memorial, on Nebraska Avenue, is a large, vital, urban congregation with members who come from the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. It holds two Sunday worship services: a very traditional service with organ and choir and a blended, family-friendly service.
- Wesley is a dynamic multi-cultural, multi-ethnic congregation on Connecticut Avenue with a jazz ensemble an More...