Location: LaGrange, Illinois
The family of First Baptist Church of LaGrange is looking for a strong leader to help us grow and expand. We are looking to grow spiritually and closer to God in Christ. We are also looking to expand our congregation.
First Baptist Church of LaGrange (FBCL) lives in an affluent thriving suburb of Chicago and less than one city block from the main restaurant and shopping area and downtown commuter train station in La Grange (http://www.villageoflagrange.com). This church
has conducted services in this location for over 125 years and is a valuable resource to the community. FBCL is a financially stable church with a small committed congregation that desires to grow in members, but most of all to grow in our relationship with
God and to spread God’s love throughout the community and beyond. We support our community through our Career Resource Center and have partnered with a number of community organizations, so our building is very active during the week. Our congregation considers
itself to be a scripture-based, theologically moderate, and “flexibly traditional” church that seeks and is responsible to God’s word and call. We want to share our American Baptist principles and heritage while embracing all who seek to explore, follow,
and serve, regardless of their background or circumstances.
The Role of the Pastor:
At FBCL, we see the Pastor as the spiritual leader, teacher, counselor, administrator, shepherd, Christian role model, and co-worker in the church. We look to the Pastor to do ministry with our congregation, not for our congregation; however, due to the
size of the congregation, we also look to the pastor to help coordinate and participate in many of the activities of the church.
Education and Experience
We are looking for someone with a Masters of Divinity with previous church leadership experience.
The pastor is accountable to the church family, as a whole, which calls him or her to the needs of the church and individuals. There is specific accountability to the executive committee. In addition, the pastor will work closely with the church president
and pastoral relations committee of the church. It is our highest priority that all governing boards and committees work in spiritual harmony to carry out the goals and objectives of our church family. All members of the church should carry out the commitments
of the Church Covenant. The pastor will serve as facilitator to our church family vision.
- Leadership skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Ability to relate well with people of diverse backgrounds, ages and life situations.
- Ability to build and nurture relationships.
- Effective planning, organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Ability to make decisions, problem-solve, and communicate effectively.
- General understanding of administrative and financial management.
- Common computer skills (e.g., ability to use Yahoo e-mail, MSWord/Excel, Facebook).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Prayer to lead, teach, and generally be a person of prayer.
- Ordination in the American Baptist tradition or willing to become ordained within one year of hire.
- Ability to pass employment and criminal background checks.
- Worship Services – Preaching, worship leadership, administration of ordinances, officiate at wedding and funerals. Other service requirements as determined by congregation and executive board. Desire to participate in church music programs a plus, but
- Teaching Role – Bible study, adult Sunday school, new membership classes, training leadership within church family to lead study groups, evangelistic, ethical or discipleship concerns and issues, premarital counseling, when requested. Additional program
- Pastoral Care – Counseling, visitation via evangelism, homes, hospital, nursing homes, shut-ins, etc. Minister to the bereaved and troubled.
- Administration – Responsibilities include administration of the total church program. Many of the duties of administration will be coordinated with other staff (e.g., church secretary, music minister, and custodian) and/or church volunteer leadership.
With the assistance of the FBCL staff and board, serve as facility operations conduit to work with outside contractors/ facilities/utilities, etc. to ensure proper building activities are taken care of and are within budget.
- Community – Engage in positive dialog and relationship with leaders of community groups supported by the congregation. Occasionally attend community group meetings/functions.
- The pastor will also assist officers, board and committees with long range and short term planning and execution of their tasks by consulting, advising, leading, coordinating and evaluating.
- Denominational and Inter-Denominational Activities – Participate in ABC minister’s council, pledge to its Code of Ethics and help purse those ideals. Participate in clusters of churches or association activities, region/state/city and national events and
activities when mutually agreed upon with executive committee. Cooperate with other local churches in appropriate ecumenical efforts and witness. Become highly involved in community agencies and programs on behalf of the church.
- Church Growth – Assist with church family in carrying out goals and objectives to attract unchurched and dechurched individuals within the community. Explore and initiate new ideas and avenues with our church family to grow in numbers and introduce new
programs and worship services, etc. Help to grow current members towards achieving church growth goals.
- Shine Through The Word of Jesus Christ – Do all that you can to engage others in the Word throughout the week, whenever the door of our church is open and when in fellowship with our church family and friends.
- Other Responsibilities – Generally to be mutually agreed upon between our executive committee, congregation, and pastor.
Structure of Work Week:
Work hours will be an average of 40 hours/week with days and times to be determined by executive board. Regular published office/work hours will be kept during the week.
Performance Review and Professional Development:
- Annual performance goals to be mutually agreed upon between pastor and pastoral relations committee. Quarterly meetings with pastoral relations committee. Annual performance review. Professional development programs to be mutually considered by pastor
and pastoral relations committee.
Interested applicants can mail their resume to:
First Baptist Church of LaGrange
Attn: Pastoral Search Committee
20 North Ashland Ave
LaGrange, IL 60525
Or via e-mail to: PSCFBCLaGrange@yahoo.com
Please include “Pastoral Search” in the subject line.