First United Methodist Church, Durango – September, 2013
POSITION: Children and Family Ministries Director
PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Program Ministries Director, the Children and Family
Ministries Director is responsible for coordination of ministries related to children and families, including Saturday night and Sunday morning education opportunities, mid-week programs, the Children’s Choir and seasonal activities such as Vacation Bible
School in the summer and Advent and Lent programs.
? Has a heart for God, a desire to serve in ministry and a passion for working with children and
parents of children
? Ability to invest in people and build relationships and community within the church body
? Strong organizational, verbal and written skills and attention to detail
? Experience in children’s education and working with families
? Bachelor’s degree and an advanced degree in children’s and/or Christian education desired
? Visionary with willingness to continually look at ways to grow the children’s ministry as the
church continues to grow and reach more young families
? Lifelong learner willing to attend continuing education events
? Has cleared a Criminal Background Check for working with children and youth
Directly reports to the Program Ministries Director
Indirectly to Staff-Parish Relations Team
Full-time, lay, exempt
Set annually by SPR.
As described in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual for Lay Employees.
- Plan appropriate Children’s Programming for Kindergarten through 5th grades during each regular worship service (currently 1 Saturday night service and 3 Sunday morning services each weekend).
- Review and select appropriate education curriculum in consultation with the Children’s Council.
- Recruit, train and maintain leaders for children’s programming during each regular worship service.
- Coordinate seasonal ministries related to children and families; such as Vacation Bible School, Bible Sunday and other events in the life of the church.
- Hire and supervise nursery personnel, providing for child-care for younger children during all worship services and other church activities as needed throughout the year.
- Coordinate any mid-week activities for Children and/or families as needed.
- Build relationships with Christian School staff and families in order to bridge areas between school and church.
- Work with teachers and Director of Christian School to set up chapel curriculum and chapel times and routines.
- Serve on Christian School Board.
- Work with Director of Christian School to help develop a children and family friendly environment and to facilitate shared spaces.
- Coordinate, or supervise someone to coordinate Kids’ Choir opportunities including school year rehearsals, choosing appropriate music and coordinating times and places for the Kids’ Choir to sing throughout the school year.
- Provide opportunities for parents of children to get connected, encouraged and grow.
- Develop and oversee yearly budget for children & family ministries and ensure supplies and resources needed are available throughout the year.
- Attend weekly staff meetings to represent children & family ministries in the church.
- Contribute towards staff team unity in various ways.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed to.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 25th, 2013 with “Children’s Director” in the subject line.