Youth Pastor Job Description
- Strong, mature, personal faith in and relationship with Jesus Christ
- Excellent knowledge and familiarity with the Bible and its interpretation/application
- Demonstrate a love for youth and an ability to relate with them
- Able to share responsibility and ministry with others called to work alongside in various programs
- Able to work effectively with both adults (parents, teachers, leaders) and youth
- Connect, grow and serve in other areas of the Church as requested by the leadership
The Youth Pastor oversees the Christ-centered spiritual direction, planning, and programming for students in grades 6-12. This includes (but is not limited to) Sunday morning teaching and programming, oversight of small groups, mission trips, retreats, outreach
and special events. In addition, the Youth Pastor recruits and trains teams of adult volunteers and student leaders who work in the various aspects of the youth ministry.
The Youth Pastor is supervised by the Associate Pastor and the Senior Pastor. In addition, the Youth Pastor maintains a working relationship with the larger church staff, especially the Children’s Ministry Director.
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Recruit teachers/leaders for Sunday morning youth ministry
- Recruit small-group leaders for youth ministry small groups
- Work in conjunction with Sr. Pastor and parents to select and evaluate the curriculum for Sunday AM and small groups, and in turn communicate an overarching spiritual development plan to parents and youth
- Recruit and train leaders for special events (e.g., retreats and mission trips)
- Establish and meet general program goals as approved by the Associate Pastor and Senior Pastor.
- Contact, care for, and build relationships with students and their parents (including a regular presence at schools and school events)
- Communicate all plans to parents and youth in a timely and effective manner
- Build cohesiveness and unity amongst students
- Plan, manage, and lead/attend ministry events and programs
- Work with office staff to advertise and promote all programs (bulletin announcements, video promotions, announcements, newsletters, etc.)
- Work within a budget for the current year and help prepare the budget for the upcoming year
- Help evaluate programs as to their effectiveness
- Be an active part of the ministries of the church at large
- Work an average of 50-55 hours/week
The following skills will help ensure the candidate can successfully complete the tasks associated with the position of Youth Pastor:
- Good interpersonal skills; relates appropriately and effectively with both adults and youth.
- Ability to speak/teach effectively to students
- Familiarity with common computer tools (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Windows, etc.)
- Self-directed but also able to work effectively in a team setting
- Ability to delegate responsibility yet oversee those tasks effectively and tactfully
- Ability to organize time and prioritize tasks
The Youth Pastor is directly accountable to the Associate Pastor, who in turn reports to the Senior Pastor and Elder Board.