From the first meeting nearly 50 years ago, to the thousands that celebrate together today, the time line that chronicles the collective history of Mariners Church bears the unmistakable stamp of God's guidance, presence and blessing. And as we stand today
united on the threshold of a future filled with change, challenges, opportunities and growth, we have only to look to our heritage for an encouragement, irrefutable reminder - and an exciting preview - of God's unfailing anticipation of our needs and faithful
provision in ways that will continue to build our family and accomplish His purposes
Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for advising and supporting the Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Campus Lead Pastors, operational executives and the Elder Board from a fiscal leadership perspective. The CFO has the opportunity to influence
strategy and be involved in non-traditional activities, such as property development and acquisition, working with the organizations investment managers, and capital stewardship campaigns.
Reporting to the Executive Pastor, the CFO will be responsible for all financial areas of the organization, including finance, accounting, budgeting, forecasting, analysis, reporting, financial services, contract negotiation, contract management, and compliance.
The position is strongly oriented toward establishing and maintaining a consultative, strategic business partner role with the Executive Pastor, Senior Pastor, Elders, and Board Supervisory Council.
The CFO will ensure good stewardship of Mariner’s resources, protect the financial integrity of Mariners, and assist in the preparation for the financial future of Mariners. With a strong eye for details the CFO must be a forward thinking visionary. A
planner who anticipates barriers and forecast future needs.
- Operating Line of Credit
- Long Term Debt
Cash Management Relationship
- Operating Checking
- Overnight Investments
- Zero Balance Accounts
- Money Market Accounts
- ACH, Wires, Positive Pay, etc.
- Ensure the financial budgets are in line with the vision (Elders initiatives), values, and annual goals of Mariners Church.
- Ensure ministries have the financial resources they need to effectively run their ministry.
- Primary driver for coordinating and getting approval on all church budgets.
- Responsible for cash flow/liquidity needs of the church.
- Responsible for implementing debt reduction strategy.
- Primary driver in creating an Investment Policy for the church
- Primary driver in diversifying and investing church funds in accordance with the Investment Policy
- Primary contact for all lawsuits and other legal matters
- Stay up to date in legal matters affecting churches
- Sign all Contracts on behalf of the church
- Ensure compliance with the Financial Philosophy White Paper approved by the Elders.
- Ensure compliance with Mariners Financial Handbook. Update and revise as needed.
- Ensure proper insurance coverage in the following areas:
- Property, Liability, Umbrella, Directors & Officers, Auto, Key Man, Foreign Travel, Church Accident, Sexual Misconduct, Employee Dishonesty, Medical, Employee Benefits, Workers Compensation, Terrorism, Employment Practices, and Builders Risk.
- Design and Implement internal controls for all financial matters.
- Develops and communicates financial strategy for obtaining goals.
- Responsible for all Property Taxes related issues
- Attend Executive Council meetings
- Attend the monthly staff meetings
- Attend staff “story time”
- Meet with the Senior Pastor and Executive Pastor regularly and ensure they are fully informed of significant financial matters (both positive and negative) in a timely manner.
- Encourage a fun team spirit and foster cooperation to ensure unity and strength.
- Insure direct reports have all authority and resources needed to carry out their operational plans.
- Initiate and nurture strategic relationships within the church and community.
- Maintain a good working relationship with the Executive Council, and will utilize the Executive Council to their potential.
- Ensure good communication between Executive Management, the Executive Council, and the Lead Pastors.
- Work with Stewardship Pastor to develop stewardship goals that encourage the Mariners Church congregation to be generous givers that experience the joy and spiritual growth of good stewardship.
QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting. CPA EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND EXPECTATIONS
- A seasoned executive with a minimum of three years of experience as a Chief Financial Officer preferably of a non-for-profit organization.
- Proven track record and experience in managing a complex, fast moving, changing organization to carry out the mission and values of the ministry and managing cash flow.
- Experience in a complex environments that utilizes self-directing teams for aggressive results.
- Possess the ability to develop realistic pro forma financial projections, decision support tools, cost reporting metrics, and a working knowledge of productivity management systems.
- Experience with providing management and the board with valuable financial and operational reports coupled with the ability to translate complex financial data into presentable and useable management information.
- Have demonstrated great interpersonal skills, hiring, developing and coaching staff.
- A record of achievement in business management practices including fiscal management, cost control, strategic planning, budgeting and investment management.
- Maintain a consistent relationship with God.
- Meet the qualifications of an elder/pastor. (Timothy and Titus)
- Affirm the mission, vision, values, and doctrines of Mariners Church.
- Develop personal and professional credibility, gain respect and build confidence throughout the organization. Set a tone of leadership in areas of responsibility that is collaborative in nature, focus on analytical decision making and emphasize individual
and collective accountability for the financial integrity and strength of Mariners Church.
- Improve reporting systems and reports for the Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Lead Pastors, Elders and operational managers.
- Be a leader in educating the department heads in using financial reports, statistical analyses, productivity benchmarking, and the budgeting process.
- Work closely with outside auditors to ensure that all financial systems are working at a high level.
- It is a privilege to serve the Lord in vocational ministry. Those who serve God in the pastoral staff at Mariners Church are expected to embrace a high biblical standard of personal conduct and lifestyle both public and personal.
- It is required that all staff members are in agreement with the vision and values of Mariners Church and adhere to the guidelines and conditions for employment as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- An intimate and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ, as evidenced by daily habits of spending time with Him and His Word, active involvement in the leadership of our church, and a commitment to maintaining healthy accountability relationships
with a small number of mature Christians.
- Fosters a “can do” attitude that combines initiative, a sense of urgency and a commitment to results.