Markey Church is actively searching for our next lead pastor. We are looking for someone who can lead us as we continue to respond to Christ's call to love, serve and reach our community. We are more interested in a pastor who can lead us and train us
to do ministry than we are in a pastor who will be a chaplain to us.
Markey Church has a rich missional history. Many of the people who make up our church have come to us because they have been made to feel unwelcome in other churches. Markey Church feels like home for them. Almost none of us have been Baptists all of
our lives but almost all of us embrace the rich freedoms and diversity that the American Baptist Churches offer us.
We are very interested in transforming lives and transforming our community. We are heavily networked throughout Roscommon County. After our next lead pastor is called, our existing lead pastor will remain available and conduct introductions to make sure
all of our networks are up to date with the new leadership in Markey Church.
The following is the Job Description for the Markey Church Lead Pastor:
1. Create an atmosphere in which people feel accepted, included and cared for and can identify with the vision and mission of the church.
Serve as a voting member of our Council of Elders and a member of all church teams.
2. Create an atmosphere of outreach in which people may live out the call of Christ to put the needs of others ahead of our own.
Work with the Council of Elders to establish Guiding Principles to meet the outreach, boundary, and accountability goals of our church.
(Refer to the current Guiding Principles on the church website.)
3. Communicate a comprehensive understanding of the Bible and a relevant and broad Christian theology.
4. Maintain an active network of community involvement and interaction with agencies, businesses, government and organizations to meet the pressing needs of our community, especially the community of need.
Strive to cooperate and support other churches in our community and the American Baptist Churches of Michigan.
5. Preach and teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ creatively in the language of the people.
Oversee a Christian Education ministry based on biblical, theological, educational and historical foundations.
6. Identify and train laypeople and church staff to lead in accomplishing the local and global missions of our church.
Encourage these people to discover and deploy their spiritual gifts.
7. Provide opportunities for people to engage in spiritual life development, especially through small groups.
8. Emphasize the growth of our church in maturity, depth, participation, and membership.
9. Supervise church staff, volunteer leaders, and oversee the administration of all the church’s spiritual, physical, and financial resources.
10. Ensure that our church reaches out to children, youth, and young adults.
Engage our people in the preparation, planning, and leadership of worship and other important church events which will relate to younger and older generations of our church.
· Markey Church will provide a salary for full-time service based on the skills, experience, and productivity of the Lead Pastor.
The Council of Elders will provide her or him with an annual evaluation.
· Markey Church offers a wide variety of flexible housing options including a parsonage on the church campus or a full cash housing allowance to enable the Lead Pastor to own a home off campus.
· Full retirement, life insurance, and disability coverage through the Ministers and Missionaries Benefit board, all of which is fully vested from day one.
· Full medical insurance.
(If the Lead Pastor has coverage paid from another source, s/he may use this money in a variety of ways at his/her discretion.
· Markey Church will cover all church related expenses of our Lead Pastor.
· Markey Church will reimburse church related automobile expenses at the IRS rate.
· Markey Church gives the Lead Pastor the week after Easter, or the week of the schools’ spring break off each year.
Markey Church also gives the Lead Pastor the week after Christmas off.
· Markey Church awards two additional weeks of vacation during the first year of service, three weeks off in the second year, and four weeks thereafter.
· The Lead Pastor may take a 13-week sabbatical, in addition to vacation, after every 6 years of service.
· Markey Church encourages the pastor to take two days off each week.