Bethel Baptist Church
Bethel Baptist Church is a community of sinners saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, and we desire a spirit-led senior pastor who will challenge us to be more like Jesus. We are seeking a senior pastor who professes Jesus Christ as Lord of his life and who is committed to strong, Biblical preaching from God’s Word that leads to transformed lives.
- We are looking for a man who is committed to being an expositor of the Word of God.
- Our candidate must embrace and hold to the Affirmation of our Faith found in Article III of the constitution of Bethel Baptist Church.
- Bethel’s current senior pastor feels God leading him and Bethel into a new phase of life and ministry. As a result, he has decided to retire after 25 years of dedicated service to our church. We are looking for someone with the vision to lead us higher up and deeper into that next phase.
- We are seeking a creative thinker whose ideas validate our strengths and challenge our complacency.
- We are looking for a man who can unify people with varying ideas and approaches to ministry.
- We are looking for a man who will need to understand and work with our existing partnerships with Converge MidAmerica and Converge Worldwide.
- Our ideal candidate has at least five years of experience as a pastor in a multi-staff church situation. Senior pastor experience is not necessarily required.
- We are looking for a man who holds a bachelors degree from an accredited college. A divinity degree is strongly preferred.
Who We Are
Bethel Baptist Church is a community of Christians who joyfully worship God and who actively seek out unchurched people to help them become authentic followers of Jesus Christ.
- Founded in 1888, Bethel has a long history of unity and stability.
- Our members are actively involved in the ministry of the church. Bethel’s lay leadership is dedicated to and passionate about their roles in God’s church.
- Bethel’s Women’s Ministry offers women of the church many opportunities for spiritual growth, outreach, and fellowship.
- The Children and Student Ministries partner with the parents to disciple the children and the students as they grow in their relationships with Christ.
- Bethel models and encourages fiscal responsibility. In 1999 we built our sanctuary debt-free, and we encourage our members to live debt-free, as well. This allows us to allocate a significant portion of our annual budget to missions.
- Bethel’s current staff of 6 is stable and has worked together as a team for several years.
- We have two Sunday morning services, a traditional and a contemporary, with a combined average attendance of 570 with Easter Services reaching over 1200 in attendance.
Where We Live
Galesburg is located in West Central Illinois and has a population of approximately 32,000 people. Galesburg has many features that make living and raising a family in Galesburg appealing.
- Galesburg has six grade schools, two junior highs, one high school, a private Catholic school (grades k-8) and a Christian school (grades k-12). Galesburg also has a strong and active homeschooling community.
- Galesburg boasts two institutes of higher learning. Carl Sandburg College is a two year junior college, and Knox College is a four year, liberal arts college.
- Galesburg’s cost of living index is low at 79 while the U.S. average is 100.
- Two hospitals are located in Galesburg.
- Galesburg is the regional retail center between the Quad Cities and Peoria, IL.
- Traveling to and from Galesburg is convenient. Two international airports are within 45 minutes. Galesburg is 190 miles southwest of Chicago with multiple Amtrak trains daily to Chicago.
- The Knox County YMCA is located in Galesburg and serves over 7000 members in the area. It provides a variety of programs for families and for individuals.
Interested applicants should send their resumes via email to Katie@convergemidamerica.org with the words BETHEL SEARCH in the subject line. Applicants will also need to include an audio, video file, or web link of a recent sermon (video is preferred). Applicants will not be considered without a preaching sample.
Bethel Baptist Church – Affirmation of Faith
- The Word of God. We believe that the Bible is the word of God, fully inspired and without error in the original manuscripts, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct. (Matthew 5:18; John 17:17; Romans 15:4, II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:19-21).
- The Trinity. We believe that there is one living and true God, eternally existing in three Persons; that they are equal in every divine perfection, and that they execute distinct but harmonious offices in the work of creation, providence, and redemption. (Genesis 3:22; Matthew 28:19; John 16: 14-15; I Corinthians 12:4-6).
- God the Father. We believe in God, the Father, an infinite, personal spirit, perfect in affairs of men, that He hears and answers prayer, and that He saves from sin and death all who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (John 4:24; Acts 4:24-30; Matthew 5:48)
- Jesus Christ. We believe in Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in his virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings. We believe in His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people, and personal visible return to earth. (Isaiah 7:14; Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1-3, 14; John 17:5; Acts 4:12; Romans 8:34; I Corinthians 15:3-8; Philippians 2:5-11; Revelation 1:17-18).
- The Holy Spirit. We believe in the Holy Spirit who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment and to regenerate, sanctify, and empower all who believe in Jesus Christ. We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Christ and that He is an abiding helper and guide. (John 14:26 and 16:7-15; Romans 8:9, 26-27; I Corinthians 6:19-20; Ephesians 1:13-14).
- Regeneration. We believe that all men are sinners by nature and by choice and are, therefore, under condemnation. We believe that those who repent of their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. (Genesis 3:1-24; Psalm 51:5; John 3:16-18, 36; Romans 3:23-24, 5:12-21, 8:28-30; Galatians 3:22; I Timothy 2:5; Titus 3:5-7).
- The Church. We believe in the universal church, a living spiritual body of which Christ is the head and all regenerated persons are members. We believe in the local church, consisting of a company of believers in Jesus Christ, baptized on a credible profession of faith, and associated for worship, work and fellowship. We believe that God has laid upon the members of the local church the primary task of giving the gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost world. (Matthew 16:16-19, 28:18-20; Acts 2:41-47; Romans 12:4-5; I Corinthians 12:12-31; Ephesians 3:7-13).
- Christian Conduct. We believe that a Christian should live for the glory of God and the well being of his fellow men; that his conduct should be blameless before the world; that he should be a faithful steward of his possessions; and that he should seek to realize for himself and others the full stature of maturity in Christ. (I Corinthians 4:1-2, II Corinthians 9:6-8; Galatians 5:22-26; Philippians 2:14-15; Colossians 3:17-23; I Thessalonians 5:12-22).
- The Ordinances. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ has committed two ordinances to the local church; baptism and the Lord’s Supper. We believe that Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water to the name of the triune God. We believe that the Lord’s Supper was instituted by Christ for commemoration of His death. We believe that these two ordinances should be observed and administered until the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 22:14-20; Acts 2:41-42; I Corinthians 11:23-24).
- Religious Liberty. We believe that every human being has direct relations with God, and is responsible to God alone in all matters of faith; that each church is independent and mus be free from interference by any ecclesiastical or political authority; that therefore Church and State must be kept separate as having different functions, each fulfilling its duties free from dictations or patronage of the other. (Matthew 22:21; Acts 5:29; I Corinthians 5:12-13, 10:23-24; II Corinthians 5:9-10).
- Church Cooperation. We believe that local churches can best promote the cause of Jesus by cooperating with one another in a denominational organization. Such an organization whether a regional or district conference, exists and functions by the will of the churches. Cooperation in a conference is voluntary and may be terminated at any time. Churches may likewise cooperate with inter-denomination fellowships on a voluntary independent basis. (I Corinthians 16:1-4; II Corinthians 8:23-24; Titus 1:5).
- The Last Things. We believe in the personal, visible and imminent return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment of His Kingdom. We believe in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment, the eternal joy of the saved, and the endless suffering of the lost. (Matthew 24:30; Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:28-29; I Corinthians 15:42-44; II Corinthians 5:10; I Thessalonians 4:15-17).
Interested applicants should send their resumes via email to Katie@convergemidamerica.org with the words BETHEL SEARCH in the subject line. Applicants will also need to include an audio, video file, or web link of a recent sermon (video is preferred). Applicants will not be considered without a preaching sample. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION THROUGH THIS WEBSITE. ONLY CANDIDATES THAT EMAIL KATIE NELSON DIRECTLY WILL BE CONSIDERED.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Senior PastorMeadowdale Baptist Church
- Calhoun, Georgia
- January 21
Sr. PastorEast Chain Evangelical Free Church
- Granada, Minnesota
- January 20
Senior PastorFirst Baptist Dexter
- Dexter, Missouri
- January 19
Senior PastorFirst Baptist Church of Westerlo
- Westerlo, New York
- January 19
Senior PastorMemorial Baptist Church
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- January 19
Converge MidAmerica is a missional network of gospel driven churches.
Converge MidAmerica is a proven church planting force reaching people from every segment of society. We are a missional network of likeminded churches who have worked together to start over 80 new churches in the last twelve years.
Converge MidAmerica is serious about church health with a number of new church health initiatives we commitment More...