Mountain View Lutheran Church (ELCA), a dynamic congregation alive with the Holy Spirit, is seeking a Director of Music to contribute to the congregation’s spiritual development through high quality, diverse music. The oldest congregation in the unique community of Ahwatukee Foothills Village of Phoenix, AZ, Mountain View Lutheran has 38 years of living into its Mission: to Welcome people in faith in Jesus Christ, Equip persons with a faith that works in real life, and to Send disciples out in service to the world in Jesus' name.
This is not your grandmother’s church! Join this vibrant staff and congregation of 3,500 members as we live out our Mission while creatively meeting the needs of all generations for worship, learning and community. The Director of Music Ministries needs an appreciation for and experience in a variety of musical styles to help plan, develop, and carry out multiple traditional, blended and contemporary worship experience formats.
Worship is central to the life of the Christian community, and at Mountain View worship is rooted in our liturgical heritage. The Holy Spirit calls and gathers the people of God to be nourished by Word and Sacrament, and then sends us back out into the world to proclaim the gospel in word and deed. Our vision for the Director of Music is a partner in leadership who embodies the best of church music in a liturgical tradition. This partner will be equally passionate about both traditional and modern worship planning, and in directing both to strengthen the worship life of the community and to reach those who do not yet know or know how to sing God’s song.
We are blessed with a Rodgers organ, Yamaha grand piano, three handbell choirs, three praise bands, two adult and one children’s choir, an orchestra ensemble, a brass quintet, and many accomplished vocalists and musicians. Our community loves song and is looking for an energetic leader who can inspire and equip people of all ages and backgrounds to join in the song.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL EXCEL IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Competence with diverse musical styles
- Choral/instrumental conducting
- Leading a contemporary praise band
- Ability to work cooperatively in team ministry
- Provide leadership to a diverse group of musicians
- Effective interpersonal communication
- Organizational skills
- Will personally and professionally conduct themselves in a way befitting a leader of the church; with a flexible and open schedule, and the ability to think creatively
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative.
- Must be a practicing Christian who will support the Vision, Mission, and Values of Mountain View Lutheran Church and has an appreciation for and some understanding of Lutheran liturgy, theology and traditions.
- Knowledge of and a passion for liturgical worship, both traditional and contemporary.
- Bachelor’s degree in music
- Skilled as a capable soloist, pianist and/or organist
- Proficient in the use of computer/IT and media technology
- Faithful prayer and the presence of the Holy Spirit
The music director is a member of the body of Mountain View and participates in the life of the congregation. Under the supervision of the Associate Pastor, the director consults with all pastors and music staff. The director collaboratively works with the church staff and volunteers in creating a comprehensive music program that complements the mission of the church.
ADMINISTRATIVE OVERSIGHT INCLUDES:
- Music ministry staff, both paid and volunteer, which presently includes: organist; hand bell director; orchestra ensemble director; two contemporary worship leaders; children’s choir director
- Music ministry budget (operating and capital), communicating with the Associate Pastor to ensure congregational expectations are met and exceeded
- All aspects of music ministry communication, both internally and externally
- Participation in staff meetings and retreats with pastors and other staff
- Access to church office staff, equipment and supplies as needed to coordinate, promote and implement the music ministry program
- Be a member of the hiring team for musicians and be prepared to release a musician from their position if warranted.
- Manage the musical instrument maintenance: organ, pianos and percussive instruments.
- Maintain professional competence thru continuing education activities
- Plan and coordinate music for all worship services (traditional and contemporary) throughout the year including special worship services for Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, mid-week Lenten services, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Thanksgiving Eve, and other celebration services.
- Select congregational and special music appropriate to the liturgy and lectionary
- Provide music for special services such as weddings and funerals, consistent with Lutheran liturgical practice
- Oversee the legal and ethical purchase and reporting of music by and for the church. Revise and improve regular worship services by using ideas from worship workshops, worship publications, other church’s worships, congregational musicians and artists, and original, creative thought.
- Recruit members for and oversee all choirs, ensembles, and praise bands
- Responsible for the direction of all adult choirs
- Lead one of the praise bands
- Responsible for directing instrumental ensembles as needed
- Nurture and grow the music ministry, with an emphasis on increased opportunities for our children, young adults and families
- Encourage and mentor children, youth and adults who wish to use their musical skills to enhance worship.
- Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction
- Work annually with Vacation Bible School staff to coordinate the music program
- Assist with Musical Vacation Bible School as requested
- Arrange special musical events such as Christmas and Easter Cantatas including actively seeking opportunities to create or host relevant and engaging musical performances and workshops for the benefit of our church members and community
- Coordinate, and promote an annual concert series
This is a full time, salaried position with a benefits package.
How to Apply
We are encouraging all applicants to submit their resumes or inquires via email to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may mail your resume to Mountain View Lutheran Church, Music Director Search, 11002 S 48th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85044. We thank you for your interest and will be prompt in responding to inquiries.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Campus Worship LeaderCalvary Chapel Church
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- December 5
Director of WorshipTrinity Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Florence, South Carolina
- December 5
Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church of Slidell
- Slidell, Louisiana
- December 2
Worship Leader/DirectorDetroit Church
- Midtown Detroit, Michigan
- December 2
Praise & Worship LeaderFamily Praise Center
- Vinita, Oklahoma
- December 2
Mountain View Lutheran Church
Mountain View Lutheran Church exists to WELCOME people in faith in Jesus Christ, EQUIP persons with a faith that works in real life, and to SEND disciples out in service to the world in Jesus' name. More...